Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AAJ Review: Allan Holdsworth, The Man Who Changed Guitar Forever! + More

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I won't buy very many digital files until you can fondle them using virtual reality hardware. But I do like Bandcamp.
    You could burn them to discs. Or you could just pull out a blank disc now and pretend.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I agree about 16-bit versus 24-bit being the biggest difference.

It doesn't appear that there are any electronic versions of the booklets included to help wean me off from physical media. Maybe I missed it?

My point about the files being different is (unless you're correct and I'm misunderstanding) is that both sources appear to be from the same 24/96 mastering job, but the files you can download from HDTracks are 24/96 and the ProStudioMasters files are 24/44.1 and 24/48. Each track at HDTracks says it's 24/96...it doesn't say it was merely mastered in 24/96. Is there somewhere on HDTracks that spells out that the files you get are not actually 24/96?
    Not that I'm aware, but since both online vendors get their music from the same source (the label), canno see them being anything but the same files.

As for the booklet? Yes, that is true...it's missing (and had bought the digital high res version of the box before I wrote my review, jus like the Jack Bruce alternate "Road Games" track, I'd have mentioned it in the review. But I couldn't buy the box until street date, and wanted the review done in time for the release date.

So, if the booked is a show-stopper, then you're currently going to have to buy the CDs. For me, having read the liners, I chose to go with high res over CD and booklet, though I'd certainly like to have the booklet.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    You could burn them to discs. Or you could just pull out a blank disc now and pretend.
    Please, that would be like fondling someone else's wife! 🤗

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Not that I'm aware, but since both online vendors get their music from the same source (the label), canno see them being anything but the same files.

As for the booklet? Yes, that is true...it's missing (and had bought the digital high res version of the box before I wrote my review, jus like the Jack Bruce alternate "Road Games" track, I'd have mentioned it in the review. But I couldn't buy the box until street date, and wanted the review done in time for the release date.

So, if the booked is a show-stopper, then you're currently going to have to buy the CDs. For me, having read the liners, I chose to go with high res over CD and booklet, though I'd certainly like to have the booklet.
    it is so strange to me that they don't include digital booklets with many of these releases. the booklet was surely a digital file at some point before being sent to the printers so how hard could it be to throw in a PDF probably uses less space than a single hi res file. If there are others like me I have to imagine it would yield them a few more sales and be worth whatever work would be needed.

Please, that would be like fondling someone else's wife! ��
    ...and the problem is...?
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    it is so strange to me that they don't include digital booklets with many of these releases. the booklet was surely a digital file at some point before being sent to the printers so how hard could it be to throw in a PDF probably uses less space than a single hi res file. If there are others like me I have to imagine it would yield them a few more sales and be worth whatever work would be needed.
    I agree, but I guess they figure the booklet would spread across the internet instantly. Which I'm sure is true. I'd probably find a copy and then just make do with the files on Spotify (except that in this case I also want to help Holdsworth's family).

Here is an academic dissertation that attempts to explain Holdsworth's music. Pretty damned interesting! This guy has done a very rigorous analysis of some of Allan's solos and thought processes. Not that I understand much of it! There's also a lot of stuff for non-musicians to glean about Allan's life and history.

http://wesscholar.wesleyan.edu/cgi/v...etd_hon_theses

Thanks for the link, Guitarplyrjvb! I'm reading now.

Ok, Burning Shed sent an email that they have a limited number of this set with a card signed by Allan! I quickly ordered one and cancelled my Amazon order. From Burning Shed it costs about $10 more, because the shipping isn't free, but I figured with the signed card and not having to wait 2-3 weeks for Amazon (that's what they say) and then possibly being told it's unavailable, it was worth going with Burning Shed. I skipped the insurance, as I always do. BTW, I noticed they've changed the wording of their no-insurance warnings. I still think they ARE responsible for lost packages even if you don't opt for the insurance. If they refuse to take the risk they should make insurance a mandatory part of the order, don't make the customer decide if they want to gamble or not. They're the ones in the mail-orderl business, they should decide. But that's another rant...
    Last edited by JKL2000; 04-20-2017 at 07:55 PM.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Double damn! Oh well, I guess I won't be getting it after all.

I just noticed a site called Bull Moose selling it for $100. I have no experience with this site:

http://www.bullmoose.com/
    Great record stores in NH and Me. I ordered the Yes Progeny box from them for a great price and was very pleased with their service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know, Rick. Thanks!

<sig out of order>

Ok, Burning Shed sent an email that they have a limited number of this set with a card signed by Allan! I quickly ordered one and cancelled my Amazon order. From Burning Shed it costs about $10 more, because the shipping isn't free, but I figured with the signed card and not having to wait 2-3 weeks for Amazon (that's what they say) and then possibly being told it's unavailable, it was worth going with Burning Shed. I skipped the insurance, as I always do. BTW, I noticed they've changed the wording of their no-insurance warnings. I still think they ARE responsible for lost packages even if you don't opt for the insurance. If they refuse to take the risk they should make insurance a mandatory part of the order, don't make the customer decide if they want to gamble or not. They're the ones in the mail-orderl business, they should decide. But that's another rant...
    I'm a cheapskate, ordered from Import CD's @ $95 delivered, hoping they get re-stocked soon.

if it is any solace my amazon order at the lower price has still not shipped. maybe it went up cause they lost the ability to get it! claims they expect to ship it may 8th...

Got my copy from Burning Shed two days ago - I haven't actually opened the shrink wrap yet, but for some reason I thought this was one of those 12" x 12" boxed sets, while it's actually a slipcase and all the disks and the booklet just slide in on one side. I'm actually fine with this, although it might mean some small print to read. Looking at the signed postcard was rather sad, but it's nice to have.

Today I finally bought the boxset and, for the Jack Bruce version of Road Games, Eidolon. The latter is now in the player and wow, what a great sound.
    Curious about how the albums will sound like; especially I.O.U.
    The AH-modus I was in after Allan's death will be repeated the coming weeks I guess.

A minor thing, but I’m listening to i.o.u. from this set, and it has a black sleeve. I’m pretty sure when I used to have the LP it was in a red sleeve. Wasn’t it?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

My brother had the vinyl by the time we saw AH, Williams, Husband & Willis in '83. A couple of years later I got the Enigma CD with a red cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

My brother had the vinyl by the time we saw AH, Williams, Husband & Willis in '83. A couple of years later I got the Enigma CD with a red cover.
    Yes, the black cover was first released as a private release; see: https://www.discogs.com/Allan-Holdsw...U/master/18388
    B.t.w. I noticed that the albums from the boxset are now available separately.

I have the black cover vinyl.
    I bought it at an I.O.U show in NYC in 82/83
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I first heard it from a friend who had the album, and it was a black cover. Later, when I bought the CD, it had a red cover. So I think the black cover came first. Why they CHANGED it, I have no idea...

I miss that guy. He said in one of his final interviews, that he was doing a more rock-oriented project, I think with Virgil Donati. Did anything get recorded that anyone knows of?
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    I first heard it from a friend who had the album, and it was a black cover. Later, when I bought the CD, it had a red cover. So I think the black cover came first. Why they CHANGED it, I have no idea...

I miss that guy. He said in one of his final interviews, that he was doing a more rock-oriented project, I think with Virgil Donati. Did anything get recorded that anyone knows of?
    Well, at least the track "Earth" was recorded (in two versions, the second without the solo's). It was available during the Pledge campaign for Tales From The Vault.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Well, at least the track "Earth" was recorded (in two versions, the second without the solo's). It was available during the Pledge campaign for Tales From The Vault.
    I liked that one actually. Was sorry there wasn't more of that sort that came of the vault project.

I see lots of concert vids on YouTube of Holdsy with Donati; was there ever anything official of these? I'd love to have one of these concerts, and see how Virgil interpreted the drum parts.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

There is a tune floating about called Every Tenth Man with Allan & Virgil. Not sure who’s on bass. Pretty muscular.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Today I finally bought the boxset and, for the Jack Bruce version of Road Games, Eidolon. The latter is now in the player and wow, what a great sound.
    Curious about how the albums will sound like; especially I.O.U.
    The AH-modus I was in after Allan's death will be repeated the coming weeks I guess.
    ? The Man Who Changed Guitar Forever has a track called "Eidolon" from Sixteen Men of Tain, but it's an instrumental track that doesn't sound anything like "Road Games". What are you referring to?