Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sgt. Peppers 50th Anniversary release

Sgt. Peppers 50th Anniversary release

Inspired by King Crimson, perhaps, The Beatles is now releasing brand new mixes of Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band for it's 50th anniversary. There are several formats - CD, double CD, double LP and a 6 disc box set with mono, stereo and 5.1 mixes, plus outtakes and a documentary. More info on http://wogew.blogspot.no/2017/04/sgt...-revealed.html. Amazon already has the box listed for pre-order.

Are we excited?

I'm interested in the 5.1 mix...I just hope I don't have to buy several discs worth of nonsense to get it...

I was just wondering what they'll do this year. I REALLY want those outtakes, even though I have some of them. It's my all-time favorite album, but I have no interest in the other stuff.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I suppose it is a testament of how well the music has aged and how revered the Beatles were and how the medium has evolved. I think back to when I first started listening to music as a serious past time back in the late 70s and go back 50 years...the most lasting music was Ain't Misbehavin (Fats Waller), Makin' Whoopie (Eddie Cantor) and Bartok's Rhapsody No. 1, Prokofiev's Symphony #3....and none of them at the time had the staying power in the universal consciousness and appeal of Sgt Peppers still does today. Compositionally and sonically, the older songs are masterpieces, and in jazz or classical circles might be considered canon, but Sgt Pepper's has weathered the test of time and transcended genres and generational taste. So, is it just me looking back with my rose-colored predisposition and immovable taste for the rock genre, or is Sgt Pepper's (and many songs/albums from the classic rock period not grown stale)?

Just a passing thought!

s
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

I just have no desire to listen to a different stereo mix of any of these classic albums. Maybe it's just me, but I just don't want to change that experience of being brought back in time to the sheer joy I first experienced listening to these albums. In fact, I love it when the stick all the bonus material on an extra disc (as they appear to be doing here). Keep that listening experience "pure" to history.

Anyway, the 5.1 and bonus discs will open my wallet...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I've long wanted to hear a remix. The original stereo mix is shoddy and not befitting of such a landmark album. I don't view that old stereo mix as being in any way sacred and in any case that version will still be available.

Although there's still some 'drums on one speaker' business which is not really to my taste, Abbey Road is unquestionably a far better stereo mix. That is probably because this was the first Beatles album for which no mono mix was.
    Last edited by JJ88; 04-12-2017 at 12:57 PM.

I'm in for the 2cd for the outttakes. One disc of outtakes should be enough, though. Dunno whether I'll like the new stereo mix, but I'll give it an open mind. I would probably enjoy the mono, too, but I'm not gonna pay for 6 discs to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Zonefish View Post
    I suppose it is a testament of how well the music has aged and how revered the Beatles were and how the medium has evolved. I think back to when I first started listening to music as a serious past time back in the late 70s and go back 50 years...the most lasting music was Ain't Misbehavin (Fats Waller), Makin' Whoopie (Eddie Cantor) and Bartok's Rhapsody No. 1, Prokofiev's Symphony #3....and none of them at the time had the staying power in the universal consciousness and appeal of Sgt Peppers still does today. Compositionally and sonically, the older songs are masterpieces, and in jazz or classical circles might be considered canon, but Sgt Pepper's has weathered the test of time and transcended genres and generational taste. So, is it just me looking back with my rose-colored predisposition and immovable taste for the rock genre, or is Sgt Pepper's (and many songs/albums from the classic rock period not grown stale)?

Just a passing thought!

s
    Greatest album of all time, bro. It set so many precedents.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I've long wanted to hear a remix. The original stereo mix is shoddy and not befitting of such a landmark album.
    Yep, the proper mono mix is the essential. However, it has flaws that were fixed in the stereo mix. I'd like to see them fixed for mono, but I am happy with my Japanese red vinyl release, considered the best pressing of Pepper.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

This is cool. I love Sgt. Pepper, so I'm down for at least the 2CD edition.

They're only in it for the Money.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    They're only in it for the Money.
    That was good!

Banned
    I want the Giles Martin 5.1 high rez. The soundtrack on Love was awesome.

This makes me wonder what they might do next year for the White Album's 50th. Maybe the 27-minute "Helter Skelter"??!!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    This makes me wonder what they might do next year for the White Album's 50th. Maybe the 27-minute "Helter Skelter"??!!
    And a booklet full of cover outtakes.

(Not entirely a joke; an early concept for what ultimately became the White Album was to be titled A Doll's House, which would have used the artwork that eventually appeared on the Beatles Ballads compilation.)

I don't expect we'll actually see a 50th anniversary White Album--after all, there haven't been any other 50th anniversary sets so far. But if they did do one, there's a ton of stuff they could include, like all the acoustic demos, only a few of which appeared on Anthology, and indeed that full-length "Helter Skelter." I wouldn't hold my breath, though. The Pepper set finds them keeping it pretty conservative--I would have hoped for "Carnival of Light" to finally see the light of day.

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I just have no desire to listen to a different stereo mix of any of these classic albums. Maybe it's just me, but I just don't want to change that experience of being brought back in time to the sheer joy I first experienced listening to these albums. In fact, I love it when the stick all the bonus material on an extra disc (as they appear to be doing here). Keep that listening experience "pure" to history.

Anyway, the 5.1 and bonus discs will open my wallet...
    Yeah, I nearly wore out my cassette of this album - it and Magical Mystery Tour definitely opened my ears more than anything else when I was a young ape.

When I bought my first Beatles albums, I only had a mono cartridge. So I only heard one channel. I dug it anyway. The music is strong enough to survive any format. But when I heard the full stereo for the first time it was like a revelation. More instruments! I am hoping for the same effect with these new mixes. It can only get better. There is a promo video on YouTube that can give an idea of what to expect. Ringo is reported to be very happy that his drums comes through for the first time, and I think that all instruments now will be heard with more clarity.

For the 5.1 mix, I hope that it will be radical. I too love Love. The 5.1 mix of 1+ was conservative. The back channels were used only for ambience. Giles Martin commented then that this was to give the listener the experience of sitting in a concert hall. But he also commented that if they asked him to remix the White album in 5.1, he would be all over it. So I am hoping that this will be a reality and that Sgt. Peppers is treated the same.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    And a booklet full of cover outtakes.

(Not entirely a joke; an early concept for what ultimately became the White Album was to be titled A Doll's House, which would have used the artwork that eventually appeared on the Beatles Ballads compilation.)

I don't expect we'll actually see a 50th anniversary White Album--after all, there haven't been any other 50th anniversary sets so far. But if they did do one, there's a ton of stuff they could include, like all the acoustic demos, only a few of which appeared on Anthology, and indeed that full-length "Helter Skelter." I wouldn't hold my breath, though. The Pepper set finds them keeping it pretty conservative--I would have hoped for "Carnival of Light" to finally see the light of day.

Sgt Peppers represents a leap in studio multichannel techniques and effects, as compared to previous releases. It also represents the Beatles greatest contribution to music, beyond pop. Therefore, only from Sgt Peppers on is there material which is recorded with fidelity that has barely been revealed on previous releases. The "Love" recordings demonstrated this. The 5.1 soundtrack for Anthology was sonically superior to any previous release, even the remaster of the White album which was an improvement, but no where near what was revealed in snippets within the Love remix recording.

I would have preferred a box of Revolver - it's a better album.

Still, I'm up for the Pepper.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

They should include the 8-track tape version which not only added an extra chorus to fill space at the end, but they also changed the order of the songs to fit the format. It was an abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by trondis23 View Post
    When I bought my first Beatles albums, I only had a mono cartridge. So I only heard one channel. I dug it anyway. The music is strong enough to survive any format. But when I heard the full stereo for the first time it was like a revelation. More instruments! I am hoping for the same effect with these new mixes. It can only get better. There is a promo video on YouTube that can give an idea of what to expect. Ringo is reported to be very happy that his drums comes through for the first time, and I think that all instruments now will be heard with more clarity.

For the 5.1 mix, I hope that it will be radical. I too love Love. The 5.1 mix of 1+ was conservative. The back channels were used only for ambience. Giles Martin commented then that this was to give the listener the experience of sitting in a concert hall. But he also commented that if they asked him to remix the White album in 5.1, he would be all over it. So I am hoping that this will be a reality and that Sgt. Peppers is treated the same.
    For me, the essential 5.1 mix would be Abbey Road. I would be willing to bet he could make that sound absolutely incredible.

Abbey Road is unquestionably a far better stereo mix. That is probably because this was the first Beatles album for which no mono mix was.
    It was also the only Beatles album recorded on eight tracks instead of four, so there probably was a lot less bouncing down while recording and the tracks were separated better when it was time to do the mix (unlike on the four-track days when the drums and the bass might have been on the same track).

Although there's still some 'drums on one speaker' business which is not really to my taste, Abbey Road is unquestionably a far better stereo mix. That is probably because this was the first Beatles album for which no mono mix was.
    I have a mono pressing, but am pretty sure it's merely a reduction to mono.

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    It was also the only Beatles album recorded on eight tracks instead of four, so there probably was a lot less bouncing down while recording and the tracks were separated better when it was time to do the mix (unlike on the four-track days when the drums and the bass might have been on the same track).
    It's also the first record where Ringo didn't use plastic drum heads.

I'd like to see the original cover with Leo Gorcey's image in that top-row space to the right of the Vargas girl. I believe he was the only one who wanted a permissions fee.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I'd like to see the original cover with Leo Gorcey's image in that top-row space to the right of the Vargas girl. I believe he was the only one who wanted a permissions fee.
    That is correct. I have a framed poster with the complete image. Which make me wonder where the fuck it is.

Mae West wasn't interested, either, asking why she should belong in a lonely hearts club. The story is that they each personally wrote her letters and she complied.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I see it comes with a mono CD - is that what we all had back in the day? Coming with a DVD AND Blu-Ray is kind of annoying, but aside from that if the mono CD is the original album I'd have had on my old cassette, I could see getting this.