Thread: Gargamel- Watch For The Umbles

Gargamel- Watch For The Umbles

Anyone know where I can find a digital download for this one? I have recently rediscovered this band's 2008 release "Descending" and am totally into it! Would like to add this one and possibly even their debut EP to my collection.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I don't know if a digital download ever even existed. I've got the CD, and I seem to remember a very limited vinyl edition too (I might be mistaken, though), but I never saw any digital downloads on offer.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I figured as much... I bought Descending on iTunes about 7 or 8 years ago, but this one is not there... I checked Transubstans site and they didn't offer one either. I'll have to make other arrangements .

it's still one of my fave 00's retro-prog albums

And I like it better than their second by a fair margin too.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

All the more reason why I want to get my hands on it!

A track from "Descending" kicked up last week on my iPod and stopped me in my tracks. I have had the record in regular rotation since.. It has made me start looking for this one.

Great album. Like SS, bought the CD when it was first released. My notes: "Whereas fellow countrymen Wobbler took the Genesis/Crimson package through the Anglagard axis, Gargamel opted for the darker VDGG through the Landberk filter. The Hammill-esque vocals take on that European slant, perhaps in the manner of Italy's Garden Wall, but without the histrionics (nor the metal tendencies). Also love the cover: A dreary, gray 1970's era inner-city apartment building, accented with a snow piled streetlight. In a genre filled with computer generated fantasy covers, this can be a startling view indeed - and fits the music like hand in glove."

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I figured as much... I bought Descending on iTunes about 7 or 8 years ago, but this one is not there... I checked Transubstans site and they didn't offer one either. I'll have to make other arrangements .
    Send me your email in a personal message if you still need help with that

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    Great album. Like SS, bought the CD when it was first released. My notes: "Whereas fellow countrymen Wobbler took the Genesis/Crimson package through the Anglagard axis, Gargamel opted for the darker VDGG through the Landberk filter. The Hammill-esque vocals take on that European slant, perhaps in the manner of Italy's Garden Wall, but without the histrionics (nor the metal tendencies). Also love the cover: A dreary, gray 1970's era inner-city apartment building, accented with a snow piled streetlight. In a genre filled with computer generated fantasy covers, this can be a startling view indeed - and fits the music like hand in glove."
    Great, now I have to hear this too.

Banned
    Meddle EARph 13²+14² Mag!c Wanderland sorta
    Hocus pocus, a full record youTube video of that apprentice mage. ..yeah, you are so right. Accent may hapm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAqV...yGSYrLpGRo48Fl

if he can cope with'em several blue sky-caperers so to say, we might even spell a word without moving our lips over to those illiterates all over the plaices. You take that cover in case of dangling lousy speakers. Wostha'? Cappuccina is leaking. Percolatorz, navigators. ...ciao!-)

Tough for me to pick one of their two albums over the other. Pretty much a toss up but I do like this band a lot. Hammill-like vocals and I like the flute. I was reminded of Sinkadus with that flute at times but certainly VDGG, KC and Anekdoten were brought to mind more often.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I also think these are two equally fantastic records. I was - once again - surprised by some comments trying to reduce their music into some sort of Van Der Graaf cloning. Certainly vocals are Hammil-like, especially in the debut, but their influences are far richer and more varied than this, including jazz music, 60's psych, Nordic folk and - why not? - doom metal (slow heavy riffs frequently played on the Hammond). The brilliant flute/bass/cello section in Strayed Again is very reminiscent of the double bass/flute lines on John Coltrane's "Ole".

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Send me your email in a personal message if you still need help with that
    I have it covered, thank you .