Thread: Exploring Stackridge

Exploring Stackridge

been dipping toe into the very big pond that is stackridge. began with a victory for common sense which found to be excellent. without a bad song includes two very very good ones called long dark river and england to return. lots of strong tunes and seem very english. bit like a left field iocc. moved onto the forbidden city which is live album. thought this would be good summary of work done over years but find it mixed. some very good like if i had you but music hall songs not for me. but heard enough on victory for common sense album to want to explore further. any suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    been dipping toe into the very big pond that is stackridge. began with a victory for common sense which found to be excellent. without a bad song includes two very very good ones called long dark river and england to return. lots of strong tunes and seem very english. bit like a left field iocc. moved onto the forbidden city which is live album. thought this would be good summary of work done over years but find it mixed. some very good like if i had you but music hall songs not for me. but heard enough on victory for common sense album to want to explore further. any suggestions.
    The Man in the Bowler Hat!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Mr. Mick (their concept-album from 1976) has some nice tracks, especially the instrumental sections. A few good songs too, reminds me (the best work of) 10CC . A very pleasant easy flowing and carefully crafted album. Try to get the complete unreleased version (Angel Air 2CD re-issue).

Their big prog epic is/was Purple Spaceships Over Yatton - so anything with this on. It was originally only a single B side but is included as a bonus track on the CD version of Friendliness and is of course the title of their 2006 Best Of - Compilation.

Of the five albums released during their original formation, the best starting places are Pinafore Days — the superior US re-sequence of their third UK release, The Man in the Bowler Hat — and Extravaganza, both of which caught them at full mastery of their unique music-hall maximalism. On the debut and Friendliness, they're midway between the sparser acid-folk sounds of the 1971/72 period (Subway, Spirogyra, Jan Dukes de Grey) and the subsequent meta-pop approach. Mr. Mick reveals a symphonic edge in places, but sounds rather drawn out and somber in comparison to earlier works, and is best reserved for the more seasoned Stackridge listener.

Of similar interest: Byzantium, Halfnelson/Woofer-era Sparks, Mental Notes/Dizrythmia-era Split Enz.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaragon View Post
    On the debut and Friendliness, they're midway between the sparser acid-folk sounds of the 1971/72 period (Subway, Spirogyra, Jan Dukes de Grey) and the subsequent meta-pop approach.
    If "meta-pop" really means The Beatles, then I agree.

What was the weird thing people do at Stackridge concerts?

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    What was the weird thing people do at Stackridge concerts?
    Shake plant stalks (they call this "thrashing"). And I don't remember what kind of plant. I think they only do it for one song, but I might be off.

I’m a big fan of their first three (the only ones I own), but if you don’t like that “music hall” thing, they may not be for you, as they do it a lot, particularly on Extravaganza, which may be my favorite. Considering how I’m looking these days (think William Powell in Life With Father crossed with the guy on the Monopoly board), that should surprise no-one.

“If I Had You” isn’t really a Stackridge song, it’s from James Warren and Andy Davis’ post-Stackridge project The Korgis, which jettisoned all the music-hall stuff in favor of a quirky 80s pop sound with occasional diversions into new-wave territory; think 10cc with a bit of the Buggles’ ethos, too. Their ethereal ballad “Everybody’s Gotta Learn Sometime” is considered an enduring classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Shake plant stalks (they call this "thrashing"). And I don't remember what kind of plant. I think they only do it for one song, but I might be off.
    Rhubarb. I think it was for a specific song, but I’ll be damned if I can remember which one. Wasn’t there a song where they stuck pot lids on their heads, or something like that?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

^
    Speaking of the “music hall” thing, I think these guys influenced the heck out of that side of Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    any suggestions.

Mr. Mick and Pinafore Days
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Absolutely love this band, the last couple (Sex and Flags and Victory For Common Sense) are worth checking out too. I have a soft spot for the first and Extravaganza, but they are all worth hearing.
    There is an excellent BBC album out there as well. Not sure if it is still print though.

This is one of these bands that saw their discography change a fair bit depending on which side of the pond you were.

I'll be going against the general grain and vote the Debut (AKA Slark) and their fourth (Extravaganza)

The debut's best tracks are 3 Legged Table, Essence of Porphiry and the amazing Slark

Extravaganza includes Keith Gemmell (Audience) and the flipside European/UK version) is an absolute corker with some three instrumental, and the amazing Earth Worm.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    The Man in the Bowler Hat!
    TBH, I really find this album totally ruined by George Martin's obtrusive stroing arrangements and production in general.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Mr. Mick and Pinafore Days
    Could never "get into" Mick.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

man, I tried with this band, I really did. I like some of Extravaganza (US edition), it just falls into that space - maybe like 10cc or I dunno - where's its interesting enough music, but maybe just not my thing. That musical hall...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    The debut's best tracks are 3 Legged Table, Essence of Porphiry and the amazing Slark
    “Essence of Porphyry” is one of the most beautiful pieces of music by anyone. A real must-hear!

Some people really hate “Slark.” I don’t agree with them, but I get it. It can get pretty repetitious. But it’s more an epic-length folk song (are there even any electric instruments on it?) than a prog epic.

Extravaganza includes Keith Gemmell (Audience) and the flipside European/UK version) is an absolute corker with some three instrumental, and the amazing Earth Worm.
    “No One’s More Important Than the Earth Worm” was Gordon Haskell’s lone contribution to the band, during his brief membership before the recording of Extravaganza. And it’s one of their best songs!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Indeed Essence of Porphyry is an outstanding progressive rock piece, reminding me of Zappa's grand style. The debut is close to a masterpiece in my opinion. It has some indifferent moments maybe but stuff like Porphyry, Three Legged Table and Slark is true gold.