Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tony Levin appreciation thread

Tony Levin appreciation thread

As i was looking at the Iridium website to see details of the Mike Keneally/BFD performances of the past couple days, I noted that holding forth on the same stage tonight is none other than Tony Levin, this time with his jazz project The Levin Brothers. Having read the recent Mike Keneally thread and seeing the love on this board rightfully expressed for a musician that is thankfully still with us and out there doing it on a daily basis, it occurred to me that it's important, when we can, to express those thoughts before the person has passed away, rather than, as it all-too-often happens, in memorium.

In that spirit, I can think of none more deserving of some PE love than TLev. His decades of contribution across the musical spectrum, to so many artists, is astounding. His professionalism is legendary. Anyone who has had the chance to see him live in any setting knows that he absolutely brings it every time he plays. He makes the other musicians in any musical setting sound better, which for my money is the height of musicianship, and what any of us who play (should) strive for. And those of us who have had the chance to share a word with him, no matter how fleeting, know that he is as humble and genuine as he is talented.

So, here's to Tony Levin - going strong at 70, may he keep at it as long as it makes him happy, because that makes us happy too.

Here's a nice little vid posted by Ernie Ball this week in tribute:

David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

LOVE TLev....

Recapping in what configurations I've seen him in:

KC: many, many times, starting in 1982
    ABWH: Filling in the Bass spot
    Stick Men
    Tony Levin band
    ...most-likely some other bands but memory fails me now...
    G.A.S -aholic

Great player, great guy.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    LOVE TLev....

Recapping in what configurations I've seen him in:

KC: many, many times, starting in 1982
    ABWH: Filling in the Bass spot
    Stick Men
    Tony Levin band
    ...most-likely some other bands but memory fails me now...
    Peter Gabriel

Agreed, love Tony Levin. First became familiar with him via his work with Peter Gabriel, but the work he has done during his tenure(s) with King Crimson has also been excellent. And he seems like a nice, easygoing guy too. Would love to see him in concert, regardless of the context really.

Very glad he's still going strong and seems to be doing what he loves.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I've seen Tony in pretty much all the iterations listed above (except ABWH) and am a big fan; the Levin Bros. project however does not excite me from what I've heard.

Three cheers for Tony!

Love so many things he has played on. I really liked his Tony Levin Band and wish he would resurrect them again one day.

I also enjoy his road blogs and appreciate the time it takes to get those up and posted.

Bravo!

Always loved his playing on this:

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

What a great musician, and what a nice guy. Saw him recently with the Stick Men (as well as KC), and after the show he went to talk with everyone who was near the merch stand, just being nice and friendly. He's probably frustrated that this isn't allowed at KC gigs... Most impressive is the fact that he looks exactly like he did 35 years ago so whenever you see him it looks like he's time-travelled to you from 1981 or so.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Have seen him numerous times since '77, with Peter Gabriel and KC. Fabulous bass/stick player, really enjoy his grooves.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Bruford Levin Upper Extremities was probably the first time I saw him live.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

This thread made me remember that I need a new Papa Bear T-shirt!

pbtee_100.jpg
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Monster player, and definitely one of the most musical bassists out there. He manages to sound fluid and free even in the most rigid and angular of pieces (King Crimson), and that's no small feat.
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

Jefferson James
    Never seen TL live and have only watched him in some Crimson videos and....yikes. Freaking amazing musician. He makes playing even the most technically-challenging music look easy. Hope to catch him live one of these days, love his blogs and road pics.

Awesome musician. I have seen him live twice. Once with King Crimson and once with Peter Gabriel.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I enjoy his website and the tour journals found there, as well as his performances.
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Love love love Tony Levin. Big influence, especially in the 80s. Have seen him multiple times with KC and PG, as well as B.L.U.E. and solo with Marotta, Larry Fast, and a guitarist I don't recall. I literally bumped into him at Martyrs' as he was going into the bathroom, and I was walking out. Very nice guy, and surprisingly not the giant he appears to be on stage.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    Love love love Tony Levin. Big influence, especially in the 80s. Have seen him multiple times with KC and PG, as well as B.L.U.E. and solo with Marotta, Larry Fast, and a guitarist I don't recall.
    Jesse Gress, most likely
    I literally bumped into him at Martyrs' as he was going into the bathroom, and I was walking out.
    Was he carrying his bass?

And great with Liquid Tension Experiment!!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

and man, what a discography he has!

My appearances in his tour blog remain absolute high points of my career in the coffee business. As a good friend put it, "Let Starbucks have Tommy Lee; you got Tony Levin!"

The thing I find fascinating and unusual about him:

He can play any kind of music and he chose to play our kind. (And I mean any kind, a few months of practice on upright bowing technique and tone, and he'd probably be able to hang with the NY Philharmonic.) Most players on his level don't - they go for the greater challenge and bigger paycheck of playing Big Time Pop, where the whole game is to be both perfect and inconspicuous, to know the idiom and tradition so well that you can do exactly what the artist expects and the audience is used to, and not one note more. But he doesn't. He goes for blue sky. Furthermore, instead of less-defined music being a youthful indiscretion, he took to playing it after he'd made his way to the top in the mainstream, as a sideman with Paul Simon.

Best hairstyle of all bass players.

Bozio Levins Stevens is a personal favorite of mine.

I just saw The Levin Brothers last Friday (3/31/17) at the Van Dyke in Schenectady NY. What a great show, really upbeat jazz, I loved it. Saw him with Stickmen last year, completely blown away, that was a monstrous performance. Also, had the pleasure of seeing him with CGT.

To me, Tony is the consummate musician and a true lover of music. Highly respected by musicians and fans. Think of all the varied projects he has worked on, he can play anything.

By all accounts, he is a very nice person. I know two people who've had personal dealings with him over the years, and nothing but great things to say.

And finally, here is a guy who has played with the best of the best, and yet will still lend his talents to local musicians. He is a treasure.