Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 310

Thread: YES Hall of Fame Induction - schedule of events

  1. #51
    Anderson, Howe, White, Wakeman, Rabin + Geddy Lee on bass to perform "Roundabout"

    Anderson, White, Wakeman, Rabin + Howe on bass(!) to perform "Owner"

    Bruford in attendance and reportedly not impossible that he may shake a tambourine or something. Downes, Davison, Sherwood all in audience. Horn and Brislin reported by one person to have popped by rehearsals to say hi, so presumably also in audience. Lee Pomeroy playing with ELO on the night.

    Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

  2. #52
    Member Paulrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Left Coast
    Posts
    1,231
    Wow. That's just bizarre. If I didn't know it really happened I would swear someone 'shopped it.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Induction of Yes into HoF correlates to Yes/ARW these days: a massive pile of petty bullshit that IMHO begs whether it'd be better to induct them in absentia...so as to honor the spirit of what was (albeit briefly) than the shameful bickering bunch of twits that they have become.

    I used to be such a fan. Now, I can't even bring myself to listen to anything they've done. There's nothing left to Yes that is positive; maybe it was all a sham from day one, I dunno. All I can say is, at this point: f*ck 'em all.

    Sorry to interrupt all the fun and games. As an ex-fan I felt it was worth saying.
    Very sorry to say it but "THIS" ^^^^^

  4. #54
    Jefferson James
    Guest
    It's all fun and games until someone gets Billy Sherwood.

  5. #55
    Of course. The HOF to Prog Fans is like being forced to sleep on a bed of nails. Or forced to listen to Wayne Newton at full volumne.

    But on some level we are masochists, secretly glad that another prog band finally squeeked in. If I had my way, as payback for all the disrespect and dishonor to the Prog community for DECADES by both the HOF, Rolling Stone, and all other associated nitwits, I would have the members of Spinal Tap show up to accept the award and have all YES members refuse to perform...

    Or better yet, get (the former) Johnny Rotten whose band also refused to show up when their band was inducted....have Rick Wakeman (who better ?) write a letter and have Johnny read it....


  6. #56

  7. #57
    Member Paulrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Left Coast
    Posts
    1,231
    ...And the universe imploded.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

  8. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Bruford in attendance and reportedly not impossible that he may shake a tambourine or something.
    Bruford (maracca), Tony Kaye (kazoo) and Igor Brezhnev (paper comb) perform "Five Percent for Nothing" - long version.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

  9. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Burlington Twp, NJ
    Posts
    1,045
    And of course this quote from Jon Davison when he posted this photo:

    YEStory in the making. Jon and Jon meeting for the first time ever!
    PEACE ON EARTH and HIGH VIBRATION GO ON.
    JA and JD will do an album together and show all of you who focus on rivalry and hate that MUSiC conquers all!!!
    If you call yourself a true YES fan, stop the petty fighting and embrace the REAL message of YES music.

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    And of course this quote from Jon Davison when he posted this photo:

    YEStory in the making. Jon and Jon meeting for the first time ever!
    PEACE ON EARTH and HIGH VIBRATION GO ON.
    JA and JD will do an album together and show all of you who focus on rivalry and hate that MUSiC conquers all!!!
    If you call yourself a true YES fan, stop the petty fighting and embrace the REAL message of YES music.
    If real, that last line is rich.

    I wonder if they shared their voice impressions of each other.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  11. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    If real, that last line is rich.
    Honestly, it's not. The lack of perspective among "fans" is what's really rich.

    Imagine, if you will, a world in which people who didn't actually know you kept track of all your interactions with your family, friends, and co-workers, and spent their days taking up sides and arguing about you based on what they heard you thought of each other?

    It's fucking ridiculous, really.

    (edited to be clear this is directed at the general nonsense that surrounds Yes "discussion," and not at the esteemed Mr. ronmac himself).
    Last edited by jamesmanzi; 04-07-2017 at 10:58 AM.

  12. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Imagine, if you will, a world in which people who didn't actually know you kept track of all your interactions with your family, friends, and co-workers, and spent their days taking up sides and arguing about you based on what they heard you thought of each other?

    It's fucking ridiculous, really.
    It is.

    So... did you see the gossip about Brislin stopping by the rehearsals? What about that?

    Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

  13. #63
    Moderator Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,496
    "Imagine, if you will, a world in which people who didn't actually know you kept track of all your interactions with your family, friends, and co-workers, and spent their days taking up sides and arguing about you based on what they heard you thought of each other?

    It's fucking ridiculous, really."

    Sort of encapsulates the crux of online Yes fandom for a certain very LOUD minority who likes to act that way. Unfortunately, it's the bulk of what you run across. It's not like there's a place online to discuss the band without that sort of crosstalk polluting things. Or IS there??? I know we try...

    The fascination with this band just never ends for some.
    Last edited by Sean; 04-07-2017 at 11:15 AM.

  14. #64
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,688
    I usually stay out of Yes threads. There's so much drama, so many panties in a twist, so much betrayal and feelings. Sort of like the band itself. The talk of the music, especially those core albums that are their pinnacle, has been exhausted and now all that's left is: Rick isn't talking to Steve and waah, Alan isn't taking his side, I have FEELINGS.

    This thread has been amusing but it's starting to go down the path apparently all Yes threads must go. But damn, that Rolling Stone video was fucking hilarious.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  15. #65
    (aka timmybass69) timmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    central Texas
    Posts
    140
    Can you imagine what ticket sales might be like if Geddy Lee was asked to do a tour with AWR? Ka-ching. Ged needs a new live gig...
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

  16. #66
    Yet, if he toured as part of Yes, Lee would be seen as selling out and Yes would still be reviled. Go figure.

    Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Can you imagine what ticket sales might be like if Geddy Lee was asked to do a tour with AWR? Ka-ching. Ged needs a new live gig...
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

  17. #67


    Cool photo from the venue posted to Facebook by Dylan Howe.

  18. #68
    Member Paulrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Left Coast
    Posts
    1,231
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Cool photo from the venue posted to Facebook by Dylan Howe.
    Cool indeed. Geddy Lee on bass, stage left. Wouldn't it be a trip if some kind of collaboration involving him was the result of this? As long as it's not Alan subbing for Neil in Rush!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

  19. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sussex, England.
    Posts
    1,160
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Can you imagine what ticket sales might be like if Geddy Lee was asked to do a tour with AWR? Ka-ching. Ged needs a new live gig...
    And to make it more interesting Lifeson could play guitar instead of Rabin
    No, actually I think this would be a bad idea.

  20. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Cool indeed. Geddy Lee on bass, stage left. Wouldn't it be a trip if some kind of collaboration involving him was the result of this? As long as it's not Alan subbing for Neil in Rush!
    We've often seen star guests at Hall of Fame induction performances. How many of these have led to an ongoing collaboration? I suspect close to 0%, I'm afraid. But, sure, I'd love to see Lee and/or Lifeson working with Anderson and/or Howe and/or Rabin and/or Downes and/or Davison etc.

    Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

  21. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Honestly, it's not. The lack of perspective among "fans" is what's really rich.

    Imagine, if you will, a world in which people who didn't actually know you kept track of all your interactions with your family, friends, and co-workers, and spent their days taking up sides and arguing about you based on what they heard you thought of each other?

    It's fucking ridiculous, really.

    (edited to be clear this is directed at the general nonsense that surrounds Yes "discussion," and not at the esteemed Mr. ronmac himself).
    No offense taken. I guess I should have been more clear. Indeed, the fans can be petty assholes. But, I considered it rich, because the members of the band have done more than their own share of petty fighting.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  22. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    because the members of the band have done more than their own share of petty fighting.
    Was it petty for them? It's petty when we argue over who rocked the hardest, because it's so trivial to us. But this is their jobs. They're not arguing over minutiae: their arguments could double or halve their incomes. I'd do my share of fighting if my income could be halved or doubled.

    Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

  23. #73
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    6,060
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    But, I considered it rich, because the members of the band have done more than their own share of petty fighting.
    I thought you were taking issue the concept of "the REAL message of Yes music," as if there were such a thing.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  24. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Was it petty for them? It's petty when we argue over who rocked the hardest, because it's so trivial to us. But this is their jobs. They're not arguing over minutiae: their arguments could double or halve their incomes. I'd do my share of fighting if my income could be halved or doubled.

    Henry
    Okay, let's try this one more time. No, I didn't state that EVERYTHING they argued over was petty. But, much of it sure has been.

    Can we move on now?
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  25. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Honestly, it's not. The lack of perspective among "fans" is what's really rich.

    Imagine, if you will, a world in which people who didn't actually know you kept track of all your interactions with your family, friends, and co-workers, and spent their days taking up sides and arguing about you based on what they heard you thought of each other?

    It's fucking ridiculous, really.

    (edited to be clear this is directed at the general nonsense that surrounds Yes "discussion," and not at the esteemed Mr. ronmac himself).

    I guess if I was known all over the world as part of a famous and highly successful band, making me essentially a public figure, then I suppose it would be my problem if I was surprised by that

    That said, yes of course fans can be jerks, that applies to more than just Yes fans. We see more of it here because of course this is a board about prog music and Yes is seen by many as a quintessential prog band (in their 70's incarnation, if nothing else).

    Frankly, the only enjoyment I get out of Yes these days is the bickering and arguing on Yes threads here.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •