Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Patton Howlin Beefheart

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Wasn't it Lomax who created 'Folkways ' records ?
    Moses Asch. John and his son Alan discovered their own ways of exploiting the folk. T'was ever thus.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    "Spoonful" was on one of the first albums I ever owned: Best of Cream. I also became a big Beefheart fan quite early in my musical explorations, starting with Lick My Decals Off Baby, which was his new one at the time. But, fool that I was, it wasn't until years later that I actually bought a Howlin' Wolf album--the French double LP with the airplane cover--and heard the real thing in all its glory. The epic combination of that primal proto-Beefheartian bellow and that most bad-ass song used to make me roll around in glee.
    I really find it disappointing how the likes of Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters have been handled on widely available CDs. Fake stereo, wrong takes- ugh. Such important artists deserve better but nobody seems to notice or care.
    Last edited by JJ88; 04-18-2017 at 08:56 AM.

I listened to some more of Stefan Grossman's Blues podcasts. Really interesting , especially the cross references. In the one about Bucca White he bitches about Led Zeppelin and their uncredited cover of White's 'Shake'm Down' as 'Hats Off To Roy Harper' which he considers also as a bad cover. He plays both tracks and one can only agree. There is a purity in these old 30's blues recordings, which makes some covers sound like caricatures.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I really find it disappointing how the likes of Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters have been handled on widely available CDs. Fake stereo, wrong takes- ugh. Such important artists deserve better but nobody seems to notice or care.

I think this was my introduction to the Chess catalogue, via a library CD:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-...elease/9267311

It's a good collection even now, and it remains one of my favourite record labels. John Lee Hooker's 'Walkin' The Boogie' (yet another 'Boogie Chillun' rehash) is a real oddity, a very early experimental recording with multi-tracking and reverb.
    Completely agreed,
    Seen that a lot of the tracks are public domain it takes time to find good quality remasters with good booklets. I am just listening to the excelent boxset of the 6 Cd Anthology Of American Folk Music (Folk ways) and Dust To Digital has released an interesting 5Cd set of the early John Fahey recordings.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"