Thread: RIP Lonnie Brooks

RIP Lonnie Brooks

Kind of surprised I have not seen anyone post about this. For Midwest Chicago Blues this guy was a legend. He played my area a lot and I have seen him numerous times. I am actually a bigger fan of his son Ronnie, but Lonnie was one of the last left of his generation.

He played in Madtown a lot as well. I'm not a big blues guy but he kicked ass & I really enjoyed him when I saw him at an outdoor festival.

RIP.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, Lonnie.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

One of his best known tunes. Covered by Johnny Winter, among others.

That is his son Ronnie to his left. I think that is his other son on his right in the Bull's shirt, but not totally sure of that. I know they played the LRBC several time as the "Brooks Family" band.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Kind of surprised I have not seen anyone post about this.
    He had the bad luck to die on April 1. Nobody believes the news that day.

Wow, I had no idea. I saw him a few times, usually as a opening act more ferocious than the headliner. I've got an Alligator comp and a live album of his so I guess I'll spin those today. RIP Lonnie!

Ronnie is a better player than his old man actually. I remember leaving some blues festival and wandering near a few guys debating the best guitarist of the night. It ended when someone shouted "Ronnie Brooks".
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

RIP. I had one of his albums on vinyl years ago.

I have been a fan for many years , besides liking Lonnie and seeing him many times around town I had a personal interest in one of his band members, Pat Doody the drummer is the son of a guy I worked with for many years , I used to hear him pounding away in his bedroom when I would go over to their house when he was just a kid. Obviously he learned his craft well because he played in Lonnie's band for many years and also with his son Ronnie Baker Brooks . He also played with many other Chicago blues stars including Buddy Guy , Koko Taylor , Jr. Wells , Magic Slim & Otis Rush , and many more , he is an outstanding drummer. He always credited Lonnie Brooks for helping him to breakthrough into the Chicago Blues scene.

RIP to Lonnie , a Chicago Blues legend!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Wow, I had no idea. I saw him a few times, usually as a opening act more ferocious than the headliner. I've got an Alligator comp and a live album of his so I guess I'll spin those today. RIP Lonnie!

Ronnie is a better player than his old man actually. I remember leaving some blues festival and wandering near a few guys debating the best guitarist of the night. It ended when someone shouted "Ronnie Brooks".
    Ronnie is an incredible performer and guitarist. I have always kind of been surprised that he has not gotten bigger than he has. I saw Ronnie a couple of times with the Legendary Blues Tour (Tommy Castro band, Magic Dick, Deanna Bogart) and they always let Ronnie do his set last, because he brought the house down. When they would do the all-star jam thing at the end of the night it was always Ronnie who was the highlight. I also saw him at the Tampa Bay Blues Festival once and again he was the best act on the Bill.