Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Self-titled albums that were not debuts

would Todd Rundgren's Todd count? or do you need the full name.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Keepin' The Summer Alive...the title track is decent, 'Goin' On' is a great little song and I like the conclusion of 'Endless Harmony', which unless I'm mistaken is the last 'new' Beach Boys track to come out before Dennis Wilson's death. Most of the rest of the album is another turkey IMHO, and yet another mish-mash in terms of origins.
    I gather that "mish-mash" became a common practice with Beach Boys records after Brian found himself unable/unwilling to finish Smile. I get the impression most of the records they did in the 70's had at least one or two songs that were at least a couple years older than one would expect.

I guess you're correct about Endless Harmony being the last "new" song (though it was actually already six or seven years old by the time it was included on Keepin' The Summer Alive) they released before Dennis passed away. I'm no tsure if there were any "best of the leftovers" collections during the early 80's.

They did a big show at Knebworth around this time which is 'interesting' viewing...not just because it's one of the last shows with all the originals but also to watch Brian Wilson who couldn't look less engaged.
    Yeah, I remember seeing the Knebworth concert when it was first shown on TV in 81 or so. I saw it again just a few years ago, I guess when it was finally issued on DVD. I thought it seemed like a decent performance, but I'd have to see it again. I haven't heard any Beach Boys records from after the eponymous one.

^Yeah it's a fun show but unfortunately on its release Mike Love's vocals were autotuned to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Yeah it's a fun show but unfortunately on its release Mike Love's vocals were autotuned to hell.
    Autotuned?! That's a damn shame. I wonder if there are any bootleg copies of the original early 80's TV broadcast. Seeing as auto-tune didn't exist then, I imagine they can't possibly have done it on that version.

The new Robyn Hitchcock record.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    would Todd Rundgren's Todd count? or do you need the full name.
    Steve Marriott's first solo album was titled "Marriott"... but was hardly his debut recording.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Steve Marriott's first solo album was titled "Marriott"... but was hardly his debut recording.
    By the same measure, Status Quo's 7th studio album was called 'Quo'