Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Self-titled albums that were not debuts

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    they swapped the song out. the much better "To The Shore" was replaced by that....thing. "To The Shore" was more in line with the other songs in style
    To The Shore was also missing from the original US release of the album, to accommodate the inclusion of the "Night Version" of Planet Earth. For the 1983 reissue, they reverted to the version of Planet Earth that orginally appeared on the UK version of the album, but then swapped into Is There Something I Should Know. One suspects this was another one of those record company decisions and not necessarily something the band endorsed.

Mott the Hoople's first was self titled, and then their sixth and seventh albums were called "Mott" and "The Hoople" respectively.

Did anyone mention Prince?
    The Prog Corner

I guess there are a lot of them. A few more I didn't see here yet:

Dream Theater (2nd album after Portnoy left, 12th overall)
    Red House Painters (2nd and 3rd albums, released within a few months of one another)
    Ryan Adams (13th-ish album, depending on how you count them)

Don't some people consider Zeppelin's fourth (with Black Dog, Stairway, etc) to be self-titled?

Prince and DT have both been listed. I think we've covered about 90% of them.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    I think we've covered about 90% of them.
    Oh, I don't think the barrel is scraped quite yet.

(Chunky, Novi & Ernie only made two albums; both are self-titled.)
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    (Chunky, Novi & Ernie only made two albums; both are self-titled.)
    There’s also Lauren Wood (Featuring Novi & Ernie), the unofficial third CN&E album, featuring Lauren’s hit duet with Michael MacDonald, “Please Don’t Leave.”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Trouble- 1990 release
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Bulldozer View Post
    Led Zeppelin
    Which Led Zeppelin album was only named "Led Zeppelin" besides the debut? You referring to the 4th one?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Although Killing Joke's first album from 1980 was self-titled, they also released another self-titled album in 2003.

Oregon's self-titled album was their first for ECM, but their 12th overall (13th if you count the archival release Our First Record).
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

The Beach Boys' 1985 album. A real horror that has dated appallingly-'Getcha Back' is nice enough, most of the rest is bland-ola. (At least the CD only cost me £1 or something, and it has another album on it.)

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The Beach Boys' 1985 album. A real horror that has dated appallingly-'Getcha Back' is nice enough, most of the rest is bland-ola. (At least the CD only cost me £1 or something, and it has another album on it.)
    I have a fondness for “Getcha Back” which is 100% nostalgic. Wouldn’t listen to the album containing it, or anything in between The Beach Boys Love You and That’s Why God Made the Radio, except maybe on a bet. And it would have to have a big payout!

^There's a few gems amongst the garbage. Specifically, things like 'My Diane', 'Good Timin', 'Baby Blue', 'Goin' On'. I have a soft spot for Bruce Johnston's maligned 'Endless Harmony' as well, if only for those harmonies, the ending is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I don't think the barrel is scraped quite yet.
    You're getting there though.

^There's a few gems amongst the garbage. Specifically, things like 'My Diane', 'Good Timin', 'Baby Blue', 'Goin' On'. I have a soft spot for Bruce Johnston's maligned 'Endless Harmony' as well, if only for those harmonies, the ending is amazing.
    After sitting through 15 Big Ones, I think I’ve suffered enough.

I just found out Joe Cocker's second album was called "Joe Cocker!" and his third album "Joe Cocker" (minus the exclamation point). That amuses me; it's as if the record company said "Okay, maybe he's not that exciting after all."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Juice Newton's third solo album is simply called "Juice." I'm sure that counts, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    After sitting through 15 Big Ones, I think I’ve suffered enough.
    That's a bad album. 'It's OK' and the cover of 'Just Once In My Life' are the only songs on it worth anything. 'The TM Song' and 'Everyone's In Love With You' are particular low-points...both with the same subject matter! Frankly the post-Love You albums are about the same quality as that, but a few decent songs as I said.

Another couple...the Carpenters' and ABBA's eponymous albums were their third.

That's a bad album. 'It's OK' and the cover of 'Just Once In My Life' are the only songs on it worth anything. 'The TM Song' and 'Everyone's In Love With You' are particular low-points...both with the same subject matter! Frankly the post-Love You albums are about the same quality as that, but a few decent songs as I said.
    Wow, are you me? That’s pretty much my thoughts on this! All right, I have some nostalgia for their version of “Rock & Roll Music” but beyond that and the aforementioned, this album is excruciating, in particular Mike Love’s songs!

The Jeff Beck Group's fourth album is self titled, although it drops the definitive article.

Duncan Browne's second album was self titled after his "Give Me Take You" solo-debut.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I have a fondness for “Getcha Back” which is 100% nostalgic. Wouldn’t listen to the album containing it, or anything in between The Beach Boys Love You and That’s Why God Made the Radio, except maybe on a bet. And it would have to have a big payout!
    I happen to rather like Keepin' The Summer Alive, but I imagine a lot of people don't. There's some good songs on that record.

But I agree that the eponymous album was pretty bad. Most of it sounds like a Culture Club album, with Brian, Carl, Mike, Al, and Bruce singing on top of it. They used Culture Club's producer, and one song was even written by Boy George and Roy Hay (with Roy playing all the instruments), while another song has one of the musicians credited with playing Yamaha DX-1. Getcha Back is about the only good song on it. There's one song that Gary Moore played on, but I have no memory of there being any cool guitar playing on this record (as if a Beach Boys record in any era would be the appropriate setting for Gary Moore guitar heroics).

Keepin' The Summer Alive...the title track is decent, 'Goin' On' is a great little song and I like the conclusion of 'Endless Harmony', which unless I'm mistaken is the last 'new' Beach Boys track to come out before Dennis Wilson's death. Most of the rest of the album is another turkey IMHO, and yet another mish-mash in terms of origins. They did a big show at Knebworth around this time which is 'interesting' viewing...not just because it's one of the last shows with all the originals but also to watch Brian Wilson who couldn't look less engaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    The Jeff Beck Group's fourth album is self titled, although it drops the definitive article.
    This is true, but it's a completely different group to the one who had recorded their first two (Rod Stewart, Ron Wood etc.). I kind of view these as 'Jeff Beck' albums or as separate bands altogether.
    Last edited by JJ88; 06-05-2017 at 03:20 AM.