Thread: free/cheap MIDI editor software?

free/cheap MIDI editor software?

I have a little notebook PC with tons of CPU and memory Win 7 x64. I use SONAR in my studio, but I would like to use something simple to compose ideas on my portable PC - something that can point to some free VST's or decent generic MIDI sounds. Not looking for effects or Mic pre's or anything exotic, just a MIDI editor - I'd like to do editing in something like the piano roll view in SONAR. Theres got to be somethig free or semi cheap, that I can then copy the .mid over into SONAR when I get in the studio. Just to use this while I'm traveling.

Anyone got something simple? - I used to use digital orchestrator plus. But its long gone. I dont want alot of crap that I dont use, like amp sims and such. Just the basics.

Thanks in advance.

Well... why not just use SONAR? You know it, you have it... just don't load it with any unnecessary stuff. 'Cause other than that I got nuthin

Sonar 8.5 for MIDI doesnt allow you to edit MIDI events - I have complained about this in a different thread. Basically you can change velocity, but nothing else. Sonar hasnt helped, tey just say "upgrade" - well why in the hell would I ever upgrade if they cant get basic stuff like that right? I'm not the only one with this issue. I'm especially not going to X or X2 - I dont need more learning curve, I need something that works that I dont have to mess with. Sonar is bit of a mess to install - I dont have a CD player on my notebook and I can buy software much cheaper than an external CD drive to install Sonar.

Try Reaper. http://www.reaper.fm/download.php It is a pretty good DAW and free if you don't mind a nagware screen for a few seconds. I think it is only $60 to purchase which includes 2 full versions of upgrades. It doesn't have a staff view like Sonar, but it does have piano roll if that is what you are used to. I recently switched from Sonar to Reaper and love it.

My friend has been REALLY trying to pursuade me to switch from SONAR (7.0) to Reaper too. I'm almost ready to swallow the learning curve. I KNOW that you can do a whole lot more with Reaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Sonar 8.5 for MIDI doesnt allow you to edit MIDI events - I have complained about this in a different thread. Basically you can change velocity, but nothing else. Sonar hasnt helped, tey just say "upgrade" - well why in the hell would I ever upgrade if they cant get basic stuff like that right? I'm not the only one with this issue. I'm especially not going to X or X2 - I dont need more learning curve, I need something that works that I dont have to mess with. Sonar is bit of a mess to install - I dont have a CD player on my notebook and I can buy software much cheaper than an external CD drive to install Sonar.
    Oh, that's right. Yeah, imho avoid Sonar X series like the plague. Maybe I need to try Reaper...

Any suggestions for a decent inexpensive soundfont?

+1 for Reaper.

KVR Audio can point you in the direction of lots of inexpensive and free sound sources, including soundfonts if you want literally soundfonts. All of them have at least a few decent presets.