Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Biggest Band That Never Toured?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Randy Vanwarmer? 11 studio albums, one top-ten single, I actually enjoy a lot of his music, he's a good songwriter.

Looks like he never toured. I only discovered him because I saw Tony Levin in the credits on one album.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    3) 1971. Earlier that year he and Yoko sat in with the Mothers.

Damn, I forgot about A Small Eternity With Yoko.

And I see the Madison Square Garden thing was earlier than I remembered it being, but now that I think about that, makes sense, because a documentary I saw on Lennon's life in the US suggested that the Elton John concert in 74 was the first time he had seen Yoko since returning to NYC following the end of the "Lost Weekend" period, and so the 72 MSG concert had to have predated the Lost Weekend.

So altogether, John performed seven times in public without George, Ringo and Paul?

BUT - he never toured.
    Well, yeah, I wasn't disputing that. I was just trying to figure out how one defines "major performance" or whatever, and exactly which performance Thomas was thinking of when he said Lennon had only done one as a solo artist.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, yeah, I wasn't disputing that. I was just trying to figure out how one defines "major performance" or whatever, and exactly which performance Thomas was thinking of when he said Lennon had only done one as a solo artist.
    I was thinking of the 1972 MSG concert, but #2 and #3 probably count as well, so three. The Elton John show and the Mothers show are just guest appearances, as far as I'm concerned.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Do you know the touring history or lack thereof of every musical artist you like?
    Of Supertramp, I do...

But yeah, I'll give you a point, I don't know of every act's concert & tour history (I9 was surprised by a few in this thread)

But I figure that if there are live albums in the discography, it's because they toured.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I recall reading about some famous female singer-songwriter -- was it Janis Ian? Carole King? -- who had such bad stage fright that she couldn't perform in public.

The Grass Roots was a studio band, made up of whichever studio musicians P.F. Sloan needed for his songs. Only after he'd had a few hits did they put together a touring band -- not the musicians who played on the hits though.

Did DEVO tour very much?
    You're thinking of Carly Simon. I saw Janis Ian once, and she was far from being nervous on stage. Carole King didn't tour a lot, but she seems to be very much at home performing before an audience on the concert she did with James Taylor at the Troubadour.

BTW, I do think Carly finally did tour a few years back. I know she did several outdoor shows at Martha's Vineyard (there is a DVD of that). I believe that she rarely ever performed back in the 70-80s.

Harry Nilsson
    Scott Walker
    Temple Of The Dog
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Temple Of The Dog
    Temple Of The Dog was a one off thing, though, wasn't it? Wasn't it basically a couple of the guys from Soundgarden (which were an established and ongoing band at that point) and some of the guys that were in (or would soon be in) Pearl Jam?

Scott Walker did tour in the 60s with The Walker Brothers and then in cabaret through the 70s. Don't think he has since though.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Kinda hard to go on the road when your "band" consists of cartoon characters.
    Idunno, it worked for Gorillaz.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Did that technology exist in 1968?

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    And Kiss.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    From memory the " famous" National Health/Gilgamesh double Quartett , but they didn't record either....actually famous bands that never existed
    They never recorded, but, iirc, played two gigs.

Aymeric can confirm
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Re: Gilgamesh/Hatfield And The North Double Quartet:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    They never recorded, but, iirc, played two gigs.
    According the liner notes of the Arriving Twice CD, that's pretty much correct. I can't remember if it was just two gigs, but I got the impression that those involved felt it didn't really work too well. I forget which band member it was who suggested there wasn't a whole lot of the 8 musicians playing together, it was more like the two quartets alternating, and that the "double quartet" concept was better realized in National Health.

If I remember correctly, a couple of the tracks on Arriving Twice originated from the double quartet performances, though I think it's presented there just by Gilgamesh, no Hatfield participation.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Someone correct me if they did tour 30 years later, but my entry is KLAATU.
    I don't know if it was part of a larger tour but KLAATU did play a show at my University in Thunder Bay in '81 or '82.