Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bob Seger's Back Catalog Has Disappeared!

I heard way too much Bob Seger, and despite some really good songs with very good arrangements, I did not thirst for any of his back catalog. Then awhile back I heard this collaboration between John Fogerty and Bob S and thought he has a pretty special voice.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Not sure that we would consider Petty a heartland singer here in the midwest since he was from Florida, but he courts a similar audience. Petty never did much for me though, and I would rate the other 3 that you mention higher.
    I'm the opposite with that. I have nearly everything from Petty up until the mid-90s. I own nothing from Seger and I think I have an unopened John Mellencamp compilation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I'm the opposite with that. I have nearly everything from Petty up until the mid-90s. I own nothing from Seger and I think I have an unopened John Mellencamp compilation.
    Well, there's no doubt in my mind that Tom Petty is the better songwriter of the three and had a wider sonic palette (there was a lot more going on than just a Byrds-like jangle). I have probably 80% of Petty's releases, maybe three or four old Mellencamp LPs, and though I used to have about 8 Seger LPs I only got a couple on CD. Petty still resonates a lot with me and has such a deep catalog (the Playback box had a ton of unreleased material) that I still play him quite a bit.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Well, there's no doubt in my mind that Tom Petty is the better songwriter of the three and had a wider sonic palette (there was a lot more going on than just a Byrds-like jangle). I have probably 80% of Petty's releases, maybe three or four old Mellencamp LPs, and though I used to have about 8 Seger LPs I only got a couple on CD. Petty still resonates a lot with me and has such a deep catalog (the Playback box had a ton of unreleased material) that I still play him quite a bit.
    Petty's Playback boxed set is good. Although, I don't like his Mudcrutch material. That stuff is too honky tonk, back roads music for me.

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    And here I was going to save a beer for you...
    I will make blindfold exceptions based on the kind of beer you're saving for me; if it's a Natural Light™, I'm there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Interesting……..I have tried with Petty, and although I like a few individual songs I have just never been able to warm to him much. I am probably biased towards Seeger because of where I grew up. It is probably hard for people outside of Michigan to understand, but he is literally considered a rock god here. As I mentioned before his music was part of my DNA in high school and beyond. Regarding Mellencamp, some of my bias could be geographical as well since he came out of Seymour Indiana which is only about 3 hours from where I live, so a lot of the “heartland” things that he writes about I can relate too. I really had to see him live to start appreciating him though. Seeing him blow the Heart audience away as an opening act was an eye opener at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I'm with Seger: other than the first LP, the early stuff doesn't hold up all that well.
    Been looking thru his early albums on RYM, and although this would be difficult from my side of the pond (my library system doesn't have them all, and I doubt those vinyls are in good shape), but I'm sure I could make a pretty good CD-r comp of all the pre-Live Bullets albums that would make an OK (if not better) alternative to Live Bullet. Edit: More like a half CD-r, really
    Yup, some of those track lists are intriguing me enough to want to give it a try - I guess YT will be my friend in this case.

========================

ok, having heard the first three BS System albums, the least we can say is that it ain't Heartland Rock...
    the RGM debut is a Detroit-ish psych thingie (Amboy & Ryder aren't that far away), while Noah is a unclassifiable weird thingie, and Mongrel is probably the weakest of the three (even the River Deep cover doesn't help, IMHO).

Back in 72: wow, the Hawkins/Hood (played on Traffic's Shootout album)/Beckett combination strikes a few chords with me. Stealer, Been Working (Van's piece), TTP are the stand-outs, but the end piece destroys the great mood, though it's still relatively good.... But this is by far his best of the five I heard this morning.

I'm working on BNM now. This is more of singer/songwriter thing... None too good or interesting, but it does give an idea of who the dude is all by himself

I'll check out the rest ASAP

Edit: I had time for Seven and it's a schizo album... A-side is fast rockers, B-side much more mellow but the last track returns to the fast paced stuff.
    I think I know Loser enough not to want to revisit it.

So, there is only the Smoking OP I haven't heard
    Last edited by Trane; 04-14-2017 at 07:16 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I saw Seger open for Zappa in Nov. of '75. Don't remember much about the show but what I do remember is the Seger fans leaving in droves when Zappa came on stage and started playing Stink Foot.

K-k-k-k-k-katmandu.

Good stuff.
    The Prog Corner

Jefferson James
    I heard a rumor Criss Angel had something to do with this.