Thread: Wanna (Yes-related) laugh?

Wanna (Yes-related) laugh?

Don't really think this belongs on the main board, but...take a look at this article. Specifically #3, second paragraph:

http://www.cracked.com/article_24712...lmost-got.html
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Makes ya wonder how much research the other articles benefited from.

Wow. R.I.P. So sad.

All this time, and I never knew.....
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I feel sorry for all the people who went to see ARW, they should demand refunds.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    That article reminds me of someone trying to recap a movie he once fell asleep to 10 years ago or the person who butchers the lyrics to every song they've ever heard (you'd think people who insisted on singing aloud would at least look up the actual lyrics).

Must be hard to have to write an article using only information from memory of 3rd-hand stories you heard years ago.

..."Yes had fallen apart by the '80s mainly due to the deaths of frontman Jon Anderson and keyboardist Rick Wakeman"....

Fucking hilarious !!!!!!
    G.A.S -aholic

Too bad Squire's band Cinema never achieved any success. I thought some of their songs, like "Owner of a Lonely Heart", had quite a bit of potential, if only Jon Anderson had still been around to sing on them.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dpt3 View Post
    Too bad Squire's band Cinema never achieved any success. I thought some of their songs, like "Owner of a Lonely Heart", had quite a bit of potential, if only Jon Anderson had still been around to sing on them.
    +1 Ah... What could have been.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    ..."Yes had fallen apart by the '80s mainly due to the deaths of frontman Jon Anderson and keyboardist Rick Wakeman"....

Fucking hilarious !!!!!!
    They suffocated in each others' vomit.

OK. that one made my day... But the scary thing is... You wonder how many times you read something that you are not an expert about, and there's crap like that in there, and you just accept it because you don't know any better.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    OK. that one made my day... But the scary thing is... You wonder how many times you read something that you are not an expert about, and there's crap like that in there, and you just accept it because you don't know any better.
    Welcome to the era of "fake news" in the 21st Century.

You guys know this is a satire site, right?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Not with this kind of stuff. They're snarky as hell, but they're not really satire.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Yep! Yep and YEP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    They suffocated in each others' ego
    ^fixed that for you

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Not with this kind of stuff. They're snarky as hell, but they're not really satire.
    Yeah, Cracked was a lot funnier back when it was a third-rate Mad magazine knockoff. The online incarnation may have started out with the intention of being a humor/satire site, but from what I've seen it has ended up being nothing but listicles and clickbait with a snarky attitude.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    For a while I thought all seven events on the list might be bullshit, but I know at least #1 is true. I read about the SNL skit with George Harrison in a Paul bio. The report about it is very consistent with the bio.

it never would have worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post

Fucking hilarious !!!!!!
    They must have realized it was a mistake, because I just looked at the site, and it now says "the departures of..." Jon and Rick. But they still get the line about not reuniting with Jon and Rick later on, and of course, I still refer to Squire's 80's band as Cinema.

And I've heard the one about Paul and John supposedly spending the day together at the Dakota building, seeing Lorne Michaels' now famous plea to them to come do the show for $3,000 (which sounds like a joke, playing on the ridiculous financial offers that were made to them for a reunion, but i saw an interview with Lorne Michaels once, and he claimed that NBC only authorized him to offer the same amount of money they would have offered to any other band) and very nearly going down to Rockefeller Plaza and actually doing it right then and there.

I suppose it depends on whether or not you buy the idea that John and Paul spent a day hanging out together. Paul's the only person I've heard talk of this actually happening, and apparently nobody else was there (Yoko being out of town and Paul apparently dropping by, unannounced by himself). On the other hand, I recall seeing a documentary about John once, and apparently, according to May Pang, during the whole "Lost Weekend" era, he spent at least some of that time hanging out with Paul and Linda in Los Angeles. If that's true, then maybe it's believable that Paul might have dropped by the Dakota a few years later.

Now, George eventually appeared on the show, with a great skit with him apparently believing he was going to paid $3000, and Lorne explaining that, no, it's $750 per band member, which George says is "a bit chintzy". Then when Lorne suggests whoever says "Live from New York, it's Saturday Night' gets an extra 200 dollars, George turns to the camera and says just that.

It reads "departures," not "deaths." Someone must've gone in and fixed it.

The "Nobody cared about Cinema" is probably a snarky joke at YesWest's expense. It'd be very like Cracked to make a "funny" like that.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)