Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Synth discussion or post

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I can't find anything online about his passing, save for a post on an e-music forum...not that I doubt you or anything, but...well, this is one case where I'd love this to be an error.
    I was hoping I'd be wrong, too, but this looks legit. Klaus Müller signed it, too. http://gemeinsam-trauern.bestatter-f...bert-von-deyen

Yeah....tis on his official site now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I know he had some albums on Sky Records, but actually, that is all I know about him. Perhaps I might explore him.

But still sad news.
    Bureau B did a nice reissue of this one. Probably my favorite of his.

Just realized I only have Sternzeit and Atmosphere at home. Off to add Nordborg to the pile...

In other synth-y news, the Malignant Danger album either you or Jed mentioned a few weeks back is quite good. It gets at times very very close to the best moments from the Froese/Haslinger era of Tangerine Dream, especially bits of Miracle Mile.

And I'm pretty sure the new Carpenter Brut will be on my top 10 list for 2018, although the year is still young
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Well, thanks for that image of John Carpenter applying Brut to his armpits!

It's what I do

The Nightcrawlers CD above is pretty cool...it includes some very nice liner notes and images of the various cassette covers. If it sells well, hopefully it means the "official" studio releases might be reissued as well.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

It's what I do

The Nightcrawlers CD above is pretty cool...it includes some very nice liner notes and images of the various cassette covers. If it sells well, hopefully it means the "official" studio releases might be reissued as well.
    Ordered! I'm surprised Shadows of Light has never been reissued on CD.

The other is an old/defunct band that some of you might recall, The Nightcrawlers. They did TD knockoff music in the 80's, and had a decent compilation album called 'Traveling Backwards' out some years ago. They just dropped a new double compilation of earlier material (i.e. none of it overlaps with Traveling Backwards) that is in a similar vein and easy to recommend to fans of that sound.

https://thenightcrawlerspa.bandcamp....box-recordings

Good times for electronic things!
    Sounds good. On the wishlist it goes. There's quite a few of these electronica compilations coming out these days it seems. Right now I'm listening to Pauline Anna Strom's Trans-Millenia Music:

Then there's the recent compilation on bureau b by French band, Fondation:

EDIT: don't know why that soundcloud embed doesn't work. Here's the link:
    https://soundcloud.com/bureau-1/fond...t-of-12-tracks

And from a few years ago: Suzanne Ciani - Lixiviation, Emerald Web - The Stargate Tapes
    I'm sure there are many more that I can't think of right now or am not aware of.

There's one more that I hope will come out one day, by Enno Velthuys. A planned compilation from a couple of years ago seems to have come to nothing unfortunately.
    Last edited by helicase; 02-27-2018 at 07:48 PM.

Emerald Web's The Stargate Tapes is a real treasure.

Now, if only somebody would remaster/reissue Lights of the Ivory Plains with the wonderful original artwork intact, and the final track, "Refraction," which was left off the Nocturne/LotIP two-fer (Kat told me she there were no plans to, so that probably hasn't changed).

Would also be nice if Sound Trek were reissued in ANY format. I'll take a cassette at this point.

Suzanne Ciani's first two "new age" albums aren't ooh'd and ahh'd about these days like thirty years ago, but Seven Waves and The Velocity of Love are worth anyone's time. I like Seven Waves a lot more, though.

There is a very cool reissue of Seven Waves on Finders Keepers that also includes the full Voices of Packaged Souls album (previously only a vinyl release).

Her collab with Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith is also excellent. She's doing a free concert in DC this coming month and I am looking forward to checking her out

There is a very cool reissue of Seven Waves on Finders Keepers that also includes the full Voices of Packaged Souls album (previously only a vinyl release).

Her collab with Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith is also excellent. She's doing a free concert in DC this coming month and I am looking forward to checking her out
    Suzanne or Kaitlyn? Either way: cool.

I've got the other Seven Waves reissue (the last one before the FK edition), so I'm good with that.

It's what I do

There's an LP compilation from their early cassettes on the way. Titled "The Biophonic Boombox Recordings".
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    There's an LP compilation from their early cassettes on the way. Titled "The Biophonic Boombox Recordings".
    It's the same one...they released it on both LP and CD, impressively enough. I like it, although there is definitely a very "home recording" feel in some of the tracks. One tune, you can hear one of the guys yelling "break!!" at one point. The liner notes are almost worth the price of admission as much as the music; they are an overview of not only the Nightcrawlers but also the Philly scene as a whole which is kind of cool.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Suzanne or Kaitlyn? Either way: cool.

I've got the other Seven Waves reissue (the last one before the FK edition), so I'm good with that.
    Suzanne Believe it or not, I missed seeing Kaitlyn at Big Ears a year ago because I was trying to meet up with a friend for coffee during her set. Worst part, my friend had to bail so it was a total loss

Awkward admission about Voices: I have the vinyl from a few years back (also on FK if memory serves), and ripped it into my computer (for portable listening) as mp3 files at 33rpm. I didn't realize it was a 45rpm record until I heard the CD of Seven Waves and realized "oh wow, THAT is why things seemed so dark and spaced out."

I have that one, I think. Not really in favor of Voices of Packaged Souls, but the combinition was much cheaper than Seven Waves.

Last year she was on Dutch television

And with Bill Laurence

And an interview

Lovely! Thanks

It would be very fun at some point to play on a real Buchla. My MakeNoise components are very similar, but it'd just be cool to lay my hands on the genuine article.

It would be very fun at some point to play on a real Buchla. My MakeNoise components are very similar, but it'd just be cool to lay my hands on the genuine article.
    Yeah, alas they are completely out of my reach.

If you plan to stick with Arturia's V-Collection and upgrades, it looks like the Buchla Music Easel is going to be in there.

If you plan to stick with Arturia's V-Collection and upgrades, it looks like the Buchla Music Easel is going to be in there.
    Yes, I know, but I'm not really interested in buying another update. And though I like soft-synths, they don't beat the real thing. And if you use a lot of them, you might get some problems with memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Yes, I know, but I'm not really interested in buying another update. And though I like soft-synths, they don't beat the real thing. And if you use a lot of them, you might get some problems with memory.
    Sure, and I agree with you (I'm not upgrading to the new V-Collection either). I prefer the real deal...of course, Buchlas aren't really priced for the low-budget consumer market.

Awkward admission about Voices: I have the vinyl from a few years back (also on FK if memory serves), and ripped it into my computer (for portable listening) as mp3 files at 33rpm. I didn't realize it was a 45rpm record until I heard the CD of Seven Waves and realized "oh wow, THAT is why things seemed so dark and spaced out."
    Totally OT, but a Finnish music paper had to do a retraction because of something similar just the other week. A local rock artist was somewhat baffled by a three-star review of his latest album, where the reviewer talked about the strange sound and metal-like growling vocals. He didn't recognise his work from the review. Turns out, the album was meant to be played at 45 rpm, but the reviewer had used 33. He had actually actually tried one song at 45, but that was a song about insomnia, so slower and more oppressive feel produced at 33 seemed more appropriate. Well, he admitted his mistake, wrote a long retraction and gave the album an extra star!

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Totally OT, but a Finnish music paper had to do a retraction because of something similar just the other week. A local rock artist was somewhat baffled by a three-star review of his latest album, where the reviewer talked about the strange sound and metal-like growling vocals. He didn't recognise his work from the review. Turns out, the album was meant to be played at 45 rpm, but the reviewer had used 33. He had actually actually tried one song at 45, but that was a song about insomnia, so slower and more oppressive feel produced at 33 seemed more appropriate. Well, he admitted his mistake, wrote a long retraction and gave the album an extra star!
    I feel slightly better. Although...my worst admission:

Back in college I got a CD EP, put it on while working on some study stuff. It was Global Communication (if that refreshes anyone's memory...and if it doesn't, GO GET 76:14 IMMEDIATELY) and their EP 'Maiden Voyage.' Around the 2nd track I really started to dig the mechanik groove they had going on; it was far more minimalistic than I was expecting from them.

Which was lovely, until about five minutes later when I realized that for the last probably 10 minutes I'd actually been listening to my CD skipping repeatedly.

It's the same one...they released it on both LP and CD, impressively enough. I like it, although there is definitely a very "home recording" feel in some of the tracks. One tune, you can hear one of the guys yelling "break!!" at one point. The liner notes are almost worth the price of admission as much as the music; they are an overview of not only the Nightcrawlers but also the Philly scene as a whole which is kind of cool.
    That is so funny. You've no idea how many "coffee and donut break" jokes we made about Schulze back in the day. Because, you know, the sequences went on and on. Then, in an interview (in Downbeat, I think, of all places) he mentioned his approach to drone notes in the 70s involved placing small weights on the keys. The coffee break jokes thus felt justified.