Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Synth discussion or post

PPG - Toto Blanke

PPG was a German synth: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PPG_Wave

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Another American electronic group (duo) that seldom gets discussed, but Finders Keepers did reissue some early albums on vinyl, and they also put together a great compilation called The Stargate Tapes.

Aqua Regia (1982) is my favorite Emerald Web album (I still have the cassette), but they're all awesome (yes, even Dreamspun).

B1 Emergence 2:08
    B2 Photonos 10:02
    B3 Ars Nova 3:16
    B4 Sanctus Spiritus 6:19
    I thought Nocturne to be mystical. The version I had for years was a two on one on the Celestial Harmonies label. I was told that the recording was incomplete by an Emerald Web fan who owned the cassette and transfered it to disc. After hearing the difference I appreciated the album more. They were very magical and would appreciate having their catalog officially released on CD. From Dragon Wings and Wizard Tales onward.

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    I thought Nocturne to be mystical. The version I had for years was a two on one on the Celestial Harmonies label. I was told that the recording was incomplete by an Emerald Web fan who owned the cassette and transfered it to disc. After hearing the difference I appreciated the album more. They were very magical and would appreciate having their catalog officially released on CD. From Dragon Wings and Wizard Tales onward.
    Fortuna reissued Nocturne and Lights of the Ivory Plains in 1989 as a two-fer CD (with lame generic artwork), and they left off some of LotIP. There are still no plans to give either a proper individual reissue, which sucks. Neither has ever been issued on CD. Nor has Emerald Web's 1980 cassette-only album Sound Trek.

(The Stargate Tapes and the earlier compilation Traces of Time feature some Web music that is otherwise available only on a pricey OOP cassette or LP.)

BUT...Anodize did remaster and reissue Catspaw, and they added five previously unavailable bonus tracks! If you like Nocturne, you want Catspaw. I regard them as unofficial companion albums.

https://www.discogs.com/Emerald-Web-...elease/6735342

Yeah, I really enjoy Emerald Web too. Kate Eppel has a Youtube page, as well as is on Facebook. Her husband, bandmate, Bob Stohl died many years back. Back in the 80s I was really into some of the New Age bands, although I think that's just a catch-all genre for anything sort of light musically. I still get in the mood to hear some of that stuff.

I've been listening to this album at night. I generally listen to music when I bed down for sleep. For whatever reason I've done it for years. Most of the time it helps put me in the mood for nodding off. I doubt it would be a great daytime listen. It's called Electro Acoustic Music Vol IV and has various musicians on it. I don't know if something like this would go over today or not. But I like it.

Christian Clozier

This has some more instruments on it along with synthesizer. I think it's relatively new, but worth a listen from Roger Coleman's Imaginary Vinyl.

Mellotron album

Richard Barrett

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I don't know if this came from an actual album, bootleg or what, I'd have to google it.

Indeed it is from an actual album, the archival release appropriately called The Schulze-Schickert Session.

You can hear it as well as some supporting music and explanation here: http://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/462/31013.html

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I've heard of Schroeder, I'm not sure if I have anything by him or not, but I'll look him up.

Yeah, that Bock album is nice.
    OK, I will spam myself one more time. This playlist hits both Bock and the IC label!

http://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/462/32428.html

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This is without a doubt the synth tune I've heard the most - hypnotic!

Rarebird, apparently it's some German folk song, do you know the name of it?

Debussy: Passepied (Tomita electronic arrangement)

Technically, I think Tomita was the finest synthesist ever, by a factor of 2x.

The older I get the less I like synthesizer in music.

Here’s a discussion about the VL-Tone’s demo music. So, not a folk song at all, and definitely not German.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    The older I get the less I like synthesizer in music.
    So why come here?

Obvious troll is obvious.

I love synthesizers. I wish there was a website like Planet Mellotron for all kinds of synthesizers, but I suppose that would be a hell of a job.

Planet Synthesizer might be huge undertaking, but it's do-able. It could grow over time like any other music site or like the Progressive Rock Encyclopedia. I guess it would just take someone with enough interest and someone that knows something about web design. But, yeah, pretty hefty topic.

Not a troll just voicing my opinion.

Give me some Fender Rhodes, piano and organ for my keyboard fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Not a troll just voicing my opinion.

Give me some Fender Rhodes, piano and organ for my keyboard fix.
    That's cool. I love me some Rhodes, too. But this is a thread for/about music and the utility of synthesizers.

It's like me going into a Tull thread and saying I'm sick and tired of singers who also play flutes.

I think I've really come to appreciate those early synth musicians who used more natural tones in their compositions instead of swooping and bopping obvious synth sounds. Tomita and Jean Michael Jarre did some of that, as did the Beatles. As opposed to the Synergy albums.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I like Tomita and Jean Michael Jarre too for sure. I'm not sure I understand your criticism of Synergy as I only have one of their albums, Sequencer. But I do like a lot of that early random synth too where there's not really any melody, and just sort of a soundscape of pings and pongs like maybe Morton Subotnick.

Part of the beauty of synthesizers is how they can sound completely unnatural and otherworldly. It’s what drew me to them in the first place. And musicians who insist on trying to get “real instrument” sounds out of them really annoy me. It shows a distinct lack of creativity. I can’t remember the exact quote, but I remember Edgar Froese saying something like, “If I wanted the sound of a violin, I’d find someone who knows how to play the violin.”

Not to mention, there were instruments like the VCS3 and the Synthi-A, whose strong suit was making outer-space blips and bleeps, not playing melodies. I find it a wonder that people actually did use these as melodic instruments!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...