Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bracket: ITCOTCK vs Red?

I gotta go with Court on this one. Court was the start of the grand experiment while Red was the end of the era.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Both fine albums, but ItCotCK by a comfortable margin.

Wow, this is a hard choice.

Let's take them song-by-song.

1. "21st Century Schizoid Man" vs. "Red"

Both albums open with scorching, balls-to-the-wall shock-treatment songs. "Red" has marginally more interesting riffs, and a good quiet section. But "21CSM" has (a) some amazing improvisational sections, especially live (where "Red" particularly suffers, as they mostly play it note-perfect) and (b) that stuttering stop-start section that utterly amazed a drummer friend of mine when he first heard it.

Verdict: "21CSM." 1-0.

2. "I Talk to the Wind" vs. "Fallen Angel."

Both are moody songs, one about futility and the other about, well, a different take on futility. "ITttW" has some lovely vocal harmonies, but "Fallen Angel" has a range of dynamics that gives it the edge.

Verdict: "Fallen Angel."

3. "Epitaph" vs. "One More Red Nightmare." 1-1.

More futility vs. a nightmare. "Epitaph" is quite possibly the loveliest melody Crimson ever composed, with, arguably, the best vocal performance Greg Lake ever delivered. "One More Red Nightmare" is a great rocker but loses a bit of its impact in the middle of an album of great rockers.

Verdict: "Epitaph." 2-0.

4. "Moonchild" vs. "Providence."

The big improvisational numbers of the albums, by the two best improvisational Crimsons of all their various incarnations. But "Moonchild" is a rather dull improvisation wrapped in some of Sinfield's most flatulent lyrics, as opposed to the incredibly dynamic "Providence." Plus Bill Bruford.

Verdict: "Providence." 2-2.

5. "Starless" vs. "In the Court of the Crimson King."

Quite possibly my two most favoritist Crimsongs of all time, both featuring haunting melodies and wistful mellotrons. "ItCotCK"'s lyrics are twee and faux-medieval while "Starless"'s lyrics are simply incomprehensible, so a tie on that level. "Starless" has the ultimate expression of Crimson's "tension-and-release" dynamic in its extended instrumental ending, and that tips it for me.

Verdict: "Starless." 2-3.

I give the nod to Red.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Red. Obviously.
    Court. Obviously.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Court. And I offer no justifications.
    <sig out of order>

Red. Title track is kind of boring but otherwise brilliant stuff.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

ITCOTCK because.

Another close one. I'll have to go with for Red for consistency and durability. Plus "Providence" beats out "Moonchild" IMO.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Love them both but, In The Court is one of the landmark prog albums of all time so I will have to go with that.

Super hard choice. "Starless" alone makes Red almost unbeatable. But I'm going with Court: more consistently great, and the historical importance is nonpareil.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Red it is. Neither are favorites of mine, but I still listen to Red while I haven't wanted to listen to Court for some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post

I give the nod to Red.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Red by a country mile!

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Wow, this is a hard choice.

Let's take them song-by-song.

1. "21st Century Schizoid Man" vs. "Red"

Both albums open with scorching, balls-to-the-wall shock-treatment songs. "Red" has marginally more interesting riffs, and a good quiet section. But "21CSM" has (a) some amazing improvisational sections, especially live (where "Red" particularly suffers, as they mostly play it note-perfect) and (b) that stuttering stop-start section that utterly amazed a drummer friend of mine when he first heard it.

Verdict: "21CSM." 1-0.

2. "I Talk to the Wind" vs. "Fallen Angel."

Both are moody songs, one about futility and the other about, well, a different take on futility. "ITttW" has some lovely vocal harmonies, but "Fallen Angel" has a range of dynamics that gives it the edge.

Verdict: "Fallen Angel."

3. "Epitaph" vs. "One More Red Nightmare." 1-1.

More futility vs. a nightmare. "Epitaph" is quite possibly the loveliest melody Crimson ever composed, with, arguably, the best vocal performance Greg Lake ever delivered. "One More Red Nightmare" is a great rocker but loses a bit of its impact in the middle of an album of great rockers.

Verdict: "Epitaph." 2-0.

4. "Moonchild" vs. "Providence."

The big improvisational numbers of the albums, by the two best improvisational Crimsons of all their various incarnations. But "Moonchild" is a rather dull improvisation wrapped in some of Sinfield's most flatulent lyrics, as opposed to the incredibly dynamic "Providence." Plus Bill Bruford.

Verdict: "Providence." 2-2.

5. "Starless" vs. "In the Court of the Crimson King."

Quite possibly my two most favoritist Crimsongs of all time, both featuring haunting melodies and wistful mellotrons. "ItCotCK"'s lyrics are twee and faux-medieval while "Starless"'s lyrics are simply incomprehensible, so a tie on that level. "Starless" has the ultimate expression of Crimson's "tension-and-release" dynamic in its extended instrumental ending, and that tips it for me.

I give the nod to Red.

Due to such detailed personal analysis given here. I will echo this.......but it's painful to lose a vote ItCotCK too.
    G.A.S -aholic

Schizoid vs. Red: Schizoid
    Wind vs. Fallen Angel: Wind
    Epitaph vs. One More Red Nightmare: Epitaph
    Moonchild vs. Providence: Providence
    Court vs. Starless: Court

I really, really like Red, but I think its endeavor to make metal "Crimsonish" sounds a little canned in spots. A little formulaic instead of organic. And the songs? Look, there's just no way in any objective sense that I can rate tracks 2&3 of Red within a hundred miles of Court. The title track of Red is a truly fascinating approach to heavy metal, but compared to "Schizoid" it sounds mechanical instead of being on the edge of that but maintaining a certain level of "fun."

"Providence" is stunning, IMO. I like "Moonchild" but this is an easy one for me.

The closers are the toughest, but for me "Crimson King" just oozes a certain depth that even "Starless" (brilliant as though it may be) can't quite reach. I think there are moments of "Starless" that match it, but on some level the latter again dives perhaps just a tad too far into the realm of mechanics. There is something clinical about it; which is fine, but in a head to head battle it can't hold up.

I also think Court was a lot more amazing for 1969 than Red for 1974. Partly due to where Crimson had already been by the time of LTIA, and maybe partly due to where Sabbath had already been by the time of Red.

Red. The best King Crimson album imo.

Simply, RED.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I think Power to Believe is a natural extension to Red. A later effort but a fine album too. My top 3 - LTiA, Discipline, Power to Believe (three eras).

Starless.....all that needs to be said...thank you, and good night.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    Starless.....all that needs to be said...thank you, and good night.
    If ever I knew a guy whose bible was black.......
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

RED.... I got a bit bored with ITCOTCK after a while. This has never happened with Red.

Court is the shit. An unprecedented achievement by an innovative group of individual innovators.

Red remains my fav of that mid-70s band, in large measure due to the return of the winds, and its summative vibe. Oh, yeah, and the tunes are pretty hip as well.
    Last edited by mogrooves; 03-23-2017 at 10:16 PM.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Court is the shit.
    I thought this said "Court is shit"

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I thought this said "Court is shit"
    Yeah, I will never get used to "the shit" being a good thing.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx