Thread: Best live recording of The Lamb..?

Best live recording of The Lamb..?

Could someone please shed any light on this? Are there any live recordings of a complete The Lamb..? The only one I'm aware of is the one on Genesis Archive.. Thanks alot for any help

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    IMO, I'd amend the thread title to Best live recording of The Lamb (aside from the one on Genesis Archive), because everyone sort of agrees it'd be nicer if they hadn't rerecorded stuff for that live version.

But I'm sure you'll get some useful answers anyway - I'm curious to see what the verdict is myself...

There's plenty of audience tapes and even a few soundboard recordings of The Lamb. I'm not sure if any are necessarily any better than what's on the boxset, though.

The best ones sound-wise are said to be either Shrine Auditorium, Jan 24 (the one overdubbed in the official box) or West Palm Beach, Jan 10.

http://www.genesis-movement.org/php/...s.php?uid=4137
    http://www.genesis-movement.org/php/...ls.php?uid=891
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 03-22-2017 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    The best ones sound-wise are said to be either Shrine Auditorium, Jan 24 (the one overdubbed in the official box) and West Palm Beach, Jan 10.

http://www.genesis-movement.org/php/...s.php?uid=4137
    http://www.genesis-movement.org/php/...ls.php?uid=891
    As far as I know, the only good sounding (i.e. not an audience recording), complete, Lamb show is the Shrine. However, it's usually regarded as a sub-standard performance from the band, which is probably why they felt the need to do the overdubs (let's just no go there in this thread!).

Among the soundboard recordings from this tour, West Palm Beach is one that is rated highly, however it is incomplete as are all the other soundboards from this tour as far as I know, because of the need to change the tape. West Palm Beach originally doesn't have Peter's intro speech and the first notes of the title track, Anyway and the first half of Supernatural Anesthetist, and the Musical Box which was the encore. There is a nice fan-made version of this show that gives the illusion of continuity by filling in the missing bits with the Shrine show. That's my go-to Lamb Tour bootleg.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    There's plenty of audience tapes and even a few soundboard recordings of The Lamb. I'm not sure if any are necessarily any better than what's on the boxset, though.
    In terms of accuracy every single one would be better than what they put on that box. The sheer level of decades-later overdubbing is a disgrace.

For an audience recording I find the Providence show (1974) very good indeed...I think that's pretty much complete, including the two encores. There are a couple of different source recordings for this show.

I don't personally care for dry soundboards.

In terms of multi-tracks, there are rumours of the full Wembley '75 show existing, but only 70-odd minutes circulate. This is a shade more than what they broadcast on the BBC at the time (the previous year, the famous Pink Floyd Wembley show was also broadcast on the radio by the BBC).
    Last edited by JJ88; 03-22-2017 at 04:56 PM.

I have boots from LA, Miami, NY and the archives. There are some songs I like better on each, but to my ear, I don't think any of the boots have the quality or consistency of the Archive recording, over- dubbed or not. Most live recordings are over-dubbed, remixed, and remastered- doesn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by Proghound View Post
    Most live recordings are over-dubbed, remixed, and remastered- doesn't bother me.
    This always crops up, as if someone doing overdubs shortly after a show was recorded and a singer doing overdubs 20 years after a show was recorded was the exact same thing and remotely comparable. I know Hackett (at least) also did some overdubs...not ideal, but I could live with that. It's Gabriel's overdubs which I still can't quite believe.

This quest for 'perfectionism' was wrong-headed for an archive project IMHO. People expect a certain warts-and-all element on such releases.

I don't know if the Shrine was an 'off night'...Phil Collins' drumming on things like 'The Waiting Room' is really astonishing.

Thanks alot for your input! I will try to get a copy of the Shrine concert for sure. Another question.. I don't suppose there exists a filmed show..? Just seen snippets here and there.
    Last edited by Hour Candle; 03-22-2017 at 06:36 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    This always crops up, as if someone doing overdubs shortly after a show was recorded and a singer doing overdubs 20 years after a show was recorded was the exact same thing and remotely comparable. I know Hackett (at least) also did some overdubs...not ideal, but I could live with that. It's Gabriel's overdubs which I still can't quite believe.
    "I've got sunshine in my stomache,
    BUH-BUH-BUH-BUH-BUH, or whatever the hell else you wanna put in there..."

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    "I've got sunshine in my stomache,
    BUH-BUH-BUH-BUH-BUH, or whatever the hell else you wanna put in there..."
    Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    I don't suppose there exists a filmed show..?
    There's some very incomplete 8mm home movie footage floating around. There's a couple different "restorations" on Youtube, where people have strung together all the known footage to make a (almost) complete video, but like I said, most of it is home movie stuff.

Apparently, there was some sort of documentary done at the time, I think for German TV, on the then "present state of rock music" or whatever. I know there's a bit where they're interviewing Bill Graham at an airport, as he's getting ready to get on a plane (hence, the bit is very rushed). Anyhow, this documentary includes two bits from a Lamb performance, one being a bit of In The Cage (showing Peter and Phil, with the former sort of wrapping himself around the mic stand) and the other being Peter crawling onstage, wearing the Slipperman costume. Both bits were used in that early 90's documentary about the band, the one that was released on VHS, following the band's career up through the 1990 Knebworth performance.

Now, the story I heard once was that much more of that concert was shot, but as is commonplace with TV news or documentary crews, everything that didn't get used in the program got junked!
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 03-22-2017 at 09:03 PM.

It's the version done by the Flower Kings on their "alive on Planet Earth" cd.

Funny, I was going to say it was the performance by Kevin Gilbert and Giraffe:

Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.