Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jon Hassell-Undersung Hero

We should not forget that his haunting trumpet is also featured in a couple of songs from Tears for Fears' 'The Seeds of Love'. Kudos to TfF for having the guts to add Hassell's distinctive sound to their songs. We may question their "progressiveness", but how many progressive rock bands could save a spot for Jon Hassell in their music? I am also surprised that no one has yet mentioned one of Hassell's most significant ambient albums, 'The Surgeon of the Nightsky Restores Dead Things by the Power of Music'! These long titles reflect perfectly the mood he creates on his records. Great artist.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Banned
    For me, Jon Hassell will always mean the greatest brand for music between ancient and modern times that is rooted in the global diversity of cultures. I bought that dreamy, ethnically influenced Fourth World, Vol.1: Possible Musics the album upon its release and it's still my favourite 'ambient' record. Rest in peace.

I don’t usually post on RIP threads but...

Thank you Jon, for making my life better through the music.

A totally unique, original artist.

Yeah, this probably warrants a dedicated RIP thread given his significance...but RIP to a big one.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Yeah, this probably warrants a dedicated RIP thread given his significance...but RIP to a big one.
    Yes, very deserving of a dedicated thread. I was fortunate to have seen him and hoped for another in recent years with his renewed focus and activities. One of those artists that showed me more (yes, that title is so apt) "possible musics". RIP.