Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Be Bop Deluxe Modern Music- Is It Prog? Any Fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Just my thoughts, but who would others place in the Art Rock section of the music library?
    Cockney Rebel, Sparks, early Split Enz, early Tubes, some Todd Rundgren etc...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

^ I'm in full agreement with each of these, guess I may be more of an Art Rocker at heart!

Just my thoughts, but who would others place in the Art Rock section of the music library?
    Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Stackridge, David Sylvian, Lives And Times, Dresden Dolls...

but who would others place in the Art Rock section of the music library?
    Welllllll, from reading the rest of your post, I guess you and others won't agree with me, but in my neck of the woods, art rock was what we call prog rock nowadays... so I could cite the big 5, 6, or 7 in there

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Cockney Rebel, Sparks, early Split Enz, early Tubes, some Todd Rundgren etc...
    Most/all of that stuff ranks as glam in my book, alongside Bowie, Mud, Slade, Sweet, T Rex... and BBDL...

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Stackridge, David Sylvian, Lives And Times, Dresden Dolls...
    Odd (IMHO, of course)... Coz outside Stackridge (which was mainly over by 77), most of that stuff is from the later 70's and beyond
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I kind of associated the band more with the Glam Rock aesthetics, than the Art Rock one?
    Axe Victim leans in a glam direction but with each successive album those elements fade a bit.

Odd (IMHO, of course)... Coz outside Stackridge (which was mainly over by 77), most of that stuff is from the later 70's and beyond
    And...?

This is relevant how?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    And...?

This is relevant how?
    Again, in my neck of the woods, by the later 70's, art rock was on its way out in our genre discussions

To the point that when I spoke of "art rock" in the early 90's, most everyone understood "hard rock"...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kemp View Post
    Axe Victim leans in a glam direction but with each successive album those elements fade a bit.

Mmmhhh!!!... I just thought of looking in PA to see if they were in the DB and they are... in crossover (I kind of expected to find them in prog-related)...
    (I was looking at the album ratings in PA, and it's fairly impressive (between 3.75 and 4), though Gnosis is definitely more trustworthy (roughly 9 and slightly above)

Currently relistening to Sunburst Finish and indeed, it's proggier than I remembered it
    I'll probably play Modern Music next.
    Last edited by Trane; 03-25-2017 at 05:38 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

never understood the hoopla about this band

I liked their first three album sleeves though (As a teen, I even bought Axe Victim mainly to put on my wall next to my Dead poster)

Never found anything prog about them... I kind of associated the band more with the Glam Rock aesthetics, than the Art Rock one?
    Ok, busy totally reassessing this band (I guess I'll check out what my library system's got on them)...
    Yup, prog enough in my book, though their albums won't likely be accessing my already-overcrowded shelves

as fr the glam thing (aside the obvious Bowie slant of Axe Victim), I guess I was fooled partially by the looks of the band >> reminds a bit of Brian Ferry

Be Bop Deluxe Modern Music- Is It Prog? Any Fans?

^ Bowie obviously transcends genres but to me always brought that arch/art-rock quality that ensured attention was firmly grabbed. Roxy in their earlier incarnation were a heady mix of clashing influences and the material is stronger than the more successful latter phase.

Sparks and Cockney Rebel didn't sustain over a long period, though I have to admit I never kept pace with Sparks lengthy career. I would have like to see their team up with Franz Ferdinand a few years back.

Someone mentioned Sylvian too, and I think that is true for early Japan but by the solo career he was moving in a different direction, though one I absolutely love.

^^^ And here you are.

Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Have we mentioned the outstanding cover art of "Sunburst Finish"?

What a great cover!
    Hot.
    The Prog Corner