Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bad Choice for an Opening Album Track

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    This is kind of funny: I always thought Couldn't Love You More (great song!) was a bit odd for opening Side A of One World by John Martyn.
    The LP-cover mentioned it though as the first track.
    However, pulling out the LP back in 1979 I saw Side A started with Dealer!

All CD-versions begin with Dealer and because of that Small Hours is the closing track.

There's a whole chapter on Discogs on this issue: https://www.discogs.com/John-Martyn-...d/master/60345
    I've only ever heard the CD version and it sounds just fine book-ended with 'Dealer' and 'Small Hours'.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    I think that you have a very strong point there, as I am of the view that after great opening tracks on their first two albums, they really dropped the ball on "Third Stage". On their debut, Boston appropriately chose "More Than A Feeling" as the opener and it began things quite well for the segue into "Peace Of Mind" and Foreplay/Long Time". It's as if those cuts belonged with each other in that order on one of the best Side One offerings of 70's Rock. They were smart again for starting the "Don't Look Back" LP with the title cut, although the follow up cuts didn't hit you in the face like on the debut.

However, they arrive at "Third Stage" with an opener that should have been moved back to later on Side One or perhaps opening Side Two (or in the mid- section of the CD). It was too soft an opening cut and the album would have been better served with "We're Ready", which was a harder rocking song that many critics thought was the best cut on the album. They then could have transitioned into "The Launch" and, oh man, the third stage would have blasted off in excellent style. "Amanda" was a huge hit for them anyway and the album was believed to be the first album certified Gold in both the CD and Vinyl LP formats. However, as far as album selection and formatting, I think they misplaced "Amanda".
    Agreed on all points.

Third Stage is an outstanding set of songs but your idea

re: Third Stage,

Amanda opens the album because it was the first song that Tom Scholz wrote for the album, and the first one he finished. At least, I assume that's the logic. It does seem kinda weird having a rock album open with a ballad, but I do like the idea of side one being bookended by Amanda and My Destination (which is basically a variation on Amanda, Scholz even says so in the liner notes).

Thing is, I'm not sure anything else would have made a better intro. And I've been listening to that record for 33 (!!!) years now, so I guess I'm just used to the songs being where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    re: Third Stage,

Amanda opens the album because it was the first song that Tom Scholz wrote for the album, and the first one he finished. At least, I assume that's the logic. It does seem kinda weird having a rock album open with a ballad, but I do like the idea of side one being bookended by Amanda and My Destination (which is basically a variation on Amanda, Scholz even says so in the liner notes).

Thing is, I'm not sure anything else would have made a better intro. And I've been listening to that record for 33 (!!!) years now, so I guess I'm just used to the songs being where they are.
    No doubt about it, an album that has aged well over the years and that still sounds fresh and inviting to you negates the need to consider the order of play or opening track aspect. It's jelled in your psyche.

Boston redeemed themselves opening cut-wise with their fourth studio album, "Walk On". They chose "I Need Your Love" to open the affair and buried the girls name song ("Magdalene") deep at the end. With Delp now gone, Fran Cosmo performed on vocals. It was the last Boston single to chart on the BB Top 100.

^^^^ Amanda came to mind for me too. Launch/Cool The Engines should have opened that album.
    and instead of My Destination, Amanda could have been a 6-7 minute track to close the side.

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    Agreed on all points.

Third Stage is an outstanding set of songs but your idea
    No Idea why part of my post is missing. Suffice it to say, I like your idea of We're Ready and The Launch as an opening salvo!

Not that this album gets many positive words from here, but having the title track open Calling All Stations was a mistake. It's a bit of a plod. They didn't come out swinging like they did with Dance on a Volcano after PG left or even Down and Out following the departure of SH. They should have opened with Dividing Line, which is what the album is after PC went completely solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Critics Choice on Chicago VI
    Agree, that would have been my 4th choice to open that album.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Agree, that would have been my 4th choice to open that album.
    I concur that there are other cuts on that album which could have started it off on a more upbeat, positive note (for instance, "Rediscovery"). However, considering the point that Lamm was "addressing" some critical reviews of their previous release, it makes sense.

One reviewer noted it as:

Critics' Choice might be a response to (what little bad) criticism the band had received. The title might also be a lure for the critics to listen to.
    The song only features Lamm’s vocals and piano.

Blinded by the Light MMEB - always skip this imbecile song.

And I never was crazy about Schizoid Man - usually listen to ITCOCK from I Talk To The Wind onward. Also I skip Hocus Pocus on Moving Waves - which I consider the best album of Focus, on par with the 3d.

One for me is "Itch In My Brain" on Oblivion, by Utopia. I've never cared much for that song, and feel that nearly any other track on that album would have made a better opener.

Other than that first track, it's one of my favorite Utopia records.