Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Discipline - Captives Of The Wine Dark Sea (new album in June)

Just another autobuy bozo on the bus.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Would love to see Unfolded reissued on vinyl, that was a nice album cover, not to mention one of my favorite albums ever. The sound on the original CD has always seemed a bit off, to me, I wonder if it would benefit from a remix, as well.

Hhhahahahahaahhahaha!

Bus Bozo in 'sconsin'.... Too Funny!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The cover art on the last one wasn't a high point either
    I liked it.

Nice colorite. Odeur. Flair.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Can't say I'm too insane about that 'Vanden Plassy' () cover art, though. Each to his own, of course...
    Yes... artwork seems to be an unfortunate choice for an album cover .
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Will buy for sure.

The illustration on the cover appears to be a phoenix. The fire and smoke in that promo video (above) suggests the same.

Happened to not listen many times to the previous album, but obviously it was great.

Looking forward to it.

Jon Neudorf
    Reminds me of Asia - Omega.

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    Reminds me of Asia - Omega.
    Wonder what Parmenter would have thought of that analogy. I guess I'll just have to block off the scent.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Never heard these guys, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see Scrotimicus digging them. And of course he has the wurst taste imaginable (knock), so I'll be sure to check them out. I assume the last two studio albums are a place to begin?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I assume the last two studio albums are a place to begin?
    I'd start the previous one - To Shatter All Accord. Perhaps not as overtly "proggy-prog" as the one before, but all the better for it as they're constantly promising to dig even deeper into their own particular psyche of creativity. Tense and suspense and drama, yet totally sans the cheesy lobotomic headcheese factor. But you're not a particular Hammill fan, so beware of that impulse. Try them anyway. I mean, I'm no Meil Norx enthusiast, but oh BOY! do I enjoy that "Girl You Know It's True" by Vanilly-Billy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I'd start the previous one - To Shatter All Accord. Perhaps not as overtly "proggy-prog" as the one before, but all the better for it as they're constantly promising to dig even deeper into their own particular psyche of creativity. Tense and suspense and drama, yet totally sans the cheesy lobotomic headcheese factor. But you're not a particular Hammill fan, so beware of that impulse. Try them anyway.
    In some ways they're neo-prog - and occasionally classified as such - but with a large difference. That difference being the lack of the usual simplified and poppified Genesis and Yes references. Instead, VDGG has a strong and acknowledged influence upon them, with the important further difference that Matthew Parmenter is a considerably more expert musician than Peter Hamill - he sings in a similar emphatic manner but has a stronger and more controlled voice, has more command of the piano (plus three or four other instruments), probably has more natural musical talent, and generally seems a better craftsman if not quite as wildly original an artist. So in a way, Discipline are VDGG for people who can't deal with Hamill's shaky musicianship and wobbly voice, although they are very much their own entity as well.

Just out of curiosity, what does their very early material sound like? I ask because I remember hearing that it was written and released before Matthew had ever heard or even heard of VDGG. Subsequently, they became him, so it would be interesting to hear what his music sounded like without that.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    In some ways they're neo-prog - and occasionally classified as such - but with a large difference.
    John, I would concur - which is indeed why I'd recommend newcomers from the (somewhat) 'leftfield' to start with Shatter rather than Unfolded, as the latter has more of that sheep's clothing-apperance to it while the former is more, well, just of itself.

Interestingly, their Push & Profit debut studio CD displays many a "neo" feature yet isn't really quite there either, in that the exact influences are rather hard to discern; this was also before they laid down a small tour with Anekdoten, whose Jan-Erik Liljeström was the one who introduced Parmenter to the music of Hammill.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    In some ways they're neo-prog - and occasionally classified as such - but with a large difference. That difference being the lack of the usual simplified and poppified Genesis and Yes references. Instead, VDGG has a strong and acknowledged influence upon them, with the important further difference that Matthew Parmenter is a considerably more expert musician than Peter Hamill - he sings in a similar emphatic manner but has a stronger and more controlled voice, has more command of the piano (plus three or four other instruments), probably has more natural musical talent, and generally seems a better craftsman if not quite as wildly original an artist. So in a way, Discipline are VDGG for people who can't deal with Hamill's shaky musicianship and wobbly voice, although they are very much their own entity as well.

Just out of curiosity, what does their very early material sound like? I ask because I remember hearing that it was written and released before Matthew had ever heard or even heard of VDGG. Subsequently, they became him, so it would be interesting to hear what his music sounded like without that.
    What Matthew lacks in Hamill vocal annoyingness he makes up for with face paint. Actually though, I like Hammill's voice and face paint (as long as it's not black metal over-the-top corpse paint).

Earlier Discipline is a bit more neo Prog, but quite mixed. There's a lot to like.

Actually "Circuitry" and "When The Walls Are Down" from "To Shatter All Accord" are re-recordings of songs early songs that never appeared on an official CD (might have appeared on a cassette only release), but they have performed live off and on for years.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Never heard these guys, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see Scrotimicus digging them. And of course he has the wurst taste imaginable (knock), so I'll be sure to check them out. I assume the last two studio albums are a place to begin?
    As others have implied Discipline is one of those rare bands that can appeal to both the Neo / Mainstream crowd and those that prefer more experimental music. My personal favorite is "Unfolded Like Staircase", but "To Shatter All Accord" is another great one.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Actually "Circuitry" and "When The Walls Are Down" from "To Shatter All Accord" are re-recordings of songs early songs that never appeared on an official CD (might have appeared on a cassette only release), but they have performed live off and on for years.
    I'm pretty sure those 2 tracks are on a Live Progday (from the 90s) CD that I have. I'd have to look up which one, as I have more than one.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I always wondered if they were really rerecordings or if they used recordings made in the 90s for those two tracks. It always struck me that both tracks have the same muddy sound as Unfolded Like Staircase, while the other 3 tracks on To Shatter All Accord sound much better, as if they were more recent.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'm pretty sure those 2 tracks are on a Live Progday (from the 90s) CD that I have. I'd have to look up which one, as I have more than one.
    Yes, they both appear on the ProgDay 95 CD. Both songs also appear on other Discipline live CD’s and DVD’s as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I always wondered if they were really rerecordings or if they used recordings made in the 90s for those two tracks. It always struck me that both tracks have the same muddy sound as Unfolded Like Staircase, while the other 3 tracks on To Shatter All Accord sound much better, as if they were more recent.
    Mmm…….I have never listened to them that close, but you could be right. Both songs pre-date “Unfolded”. In fact I think they both pre-date “Push And Profit” too which came out in 94.

"When She Dreams She Dreams in Color" was also a rather old song too.

A short part of the Coda of the song can be heared on the live DVD.

"Dead City" was the only song that I never heared before in any form, when I played the Album the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH;692034[B
    "When She Dreams She Dreams in Color" was also a rather old song too.

A short part of the Coda of the song can be heared on the live DVD.

"Dead City" was the only song that I never heared before in any form, when I played the Album the first time.
    "When She Dreams" is peculiar in its disposition of structure; cutting it in half and basically rendering the whole of part two as not a conclusion but almost a separate statement - donning arguably the eeriest melodic theme they have come up with - very few bands of their ilk would even know how to pull such a thing off.

"Dead City" is one of their best tunes altogether (IMO), but the real deal is that lengthy passage in "Rogue" where Parmenter whines and howls over a fluctuatingly cacophonic metre. Astounding, especially given their stylistic outset.

Not a huge fan of this band, but do have the last album and Unfold and like both pretty well. I enjoyed them at Nearfest years ago as well. So I will no doubt be getting this at some point.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    No doubt I'll pick it up, not a priority band for me but them along with echolyn seem to be the better neo/symph style bands for my particular tastes. I like the last two albums and they are certainly good live.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Just came across this video for one of the new songs. I do believe they played this tune at ProgDay '16.

In the new song, Parmenter's voice sounds even more Hammill-ish in tone and cadence. That may be a little off putting for some (Geezer), but that adds a greater dimension to me.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau