Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When the Guitarist Plays Bass...

To expand this a bit, what about drummers who play bass on a record? On the Queen songs, Roger Taylor played bass and guitar on the songs Sheer Heart Attack and Fight From The Inside.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Adrian Belew played the bass parts on V-drums for Projekct Two.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Guitarist Greg Lake was pressed into service as bass player for King Crimson and ELP, neither of whom needed a full-time guitar player when he joined.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Rune Eriksen (Blasphemer) played bass and guitar on Ordo Ad Chao.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Hellmut Hattler started out as a guitarist, many thinks he still plays like a guitarist.

I disagree, he made his own style.

OK, Ill light a fire:

Paul McCartney

Im listing him because he matured a bass players' feel throughout their career although he took to it pretty quick and managed to get that feel on many cuts early on........ by "Revolver" thru The White Album, the guitarist feel would reel its head now and again but, for the most part, he was laying a groove and playing melodically, getting the best of both worlds in both chops and feel ("Penny Laine" for example).......

Paul McCartney started as guitarist, but of necessity turned out to be one of the best bassplayers.
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/paul-...-bass-beatles/

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    To expand this a bit, what about drummers who play bass on a record?
    Not a record, but I remember hearing a boot from Jethro Tull's Stormwatch tour where there is a Dave Pegg instrumental where he plays mandolin and Barrie Barlow plays bass.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    This doesn't count either, but I'll bet you'd be interested to know (if you don't already). Ron Wood, the guitarist formerly of The Faces and currently with The Stones, was the bassist in the original Jeff Beck Group and on their second album, Beck-Ola, you will NOT believe your ears at the crazy, proggy, wild innovative parts he plays. Like discovering the horse giving kiddie rides at your child's birthday party was once Secretariat....
    He definitely plays bass on "Three Button Hand Me Down" on the Faces' first album.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Eddie Van Halen plays bass guitar on Sammy Hagar's I Never Said Goodbye, back in happier times for both.
    not only that, EVH helped produce the album, which featured an up-front bass sound, which was in contrast to VH albums of the same time frame where the bass was near to nonexistent (EVH also had a heavy hand in production for VH albums from the mid-80s on).

FWIW, I played the vast majority of the bass parts on the last couple of Vietgrove albums - and I'm most definitely a guitarist! I do enjoy playing bass, though. It's a wholly different discipline from the guitar and it's a great opportunity to think in more depth about rhythm, countermelody and harmony that is only to the good in improving one's guitar playing.

I talked to the very nice, great bassist, Tim Landers at NAMM in January. A guitarist friend of him called him to borrow a bass as
    Joe Walsh wanted him to play a one off gig with him. The guy said to Tim, "How hard can it be?" Tim lent him a P bass.
    He talked to the guy after the gig. He said after a minute or so of playing, Joe stopped the band and turned to the
    "bass" player and said, "Can't you play anything else?" The actual punch line is that Joe hired him to be his second guitarist
    a few months later and had no memory of his bass playing, which was probably a very good thing!

I saw this video of a guitarist that plays in a band called Pak. He usually plays guitar, but played bass guitar in the video, then towards the end of the video, he bend down and pushes a few buttons on his pedals, and to me, makes the bass sound in a higher register like a regular guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    The actual punch line is that Joe hired him to be his second guitarist
    a few months later and had no memory of his bass playing, which was probably a very good thing!
    Yeah, Joe reputedly used to have memory lapses on a regular basis. I heard one story that he flipped when he heard a song on the radio, because he thought "Someone's stealing my slide guitar style!". Turns out it was a session that Joe himself had played on, but apparently forgotten (or at least, he didn't recognize the song when he heard it again, however many months later).