Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Digipaks or Jewel cases?

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    No, but for 30 years or so I've worried that they are going to snap in half whenever they are slightly more difficult than average to get out of the case! It's never happened.
    Take a garbage disc and try to snap it in half. It'll give you new respect for them!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Take a garbage disc and try to snap it in half. It'll give you new respect for them!
    never tried it myself, but I've seen CDs and DVDs broken when coming with magazines

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Not bloody likely -- discs are TOUGH man -- ever tried to break one? It's a lot easier to package flats, a simple padded envelope suffices, whereas jewelcases have to be protected from crushing. Frankly I don't know why ANYBODY ships product in a jewelcase when they're so easy to obtain locally.
    I didn't say broken discs, but scratched certainly (and artworks damaged beyond salvaging... and even on the reading side, a scratch's not a real problem (unless it's really a circular and follows the reading track), but the label side is fairly fragile

I wonder what Greg/Syn-phonic does with all of those jewel cases (when I order from him, it's "hold the jewel cases whenever possible")
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    From Amazon? Maybe not. From a small prog band that isn't Dream Theater or Steven Wilson?...well their entire profit on the first bubble wrapped package that someone broke in transit is probably eaten up entirely sending you another jewel case in the mail. Yeah it's probably just $4 to get to you but that's the profit they probably made off the CD. Just a fact. But a lot of people just have spares and many just tell me-"hey it came to me cracked but I took care of it" or something like that.
    I've never sought further satisfaction from a CD vendor. It's not that big of a deal and sending stuff back is more hassle than it's worth. But I do find getting busted stuff annoying. I can't remember who I bought it from, but I did get a defective copy of Big Big Train's "The Underfall Yard" which I sent back. I thought they'd just send a replacement but instead I got a refund. Never got around to hearing the album as a result, lol.
    <sig out of order>

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I just With for digipaks the labels/manufacturers would all use the kind where the spindle is sort of one piece and can't easily break, as opposed to the ones where a bunch of broken teeth fall out.

the different sizes in mini-Lps (the square, not rectangulars) - all in cm:

the classic (japanese) format (includes KC, Zep, Genesis, Tull, Gong, etc...): 13.7 x 13.7
    the Repertoire series : 13.4 x 13.4 (though IF 1 is 12.8 ²)
    the Spalax odd thingie (like Hoelderlin's Traum): 12.6 x 12.6
    Swedish model (Anekdoten, Paatos, Sienna Root) and Musea series: 13.4 ²
    Akarma : 13.5 ² (but the thickness is incredibly uneven from one to the other)
    I have one eco-pack Supertramp's COTC: 12.4 ²
    Yes boxset : 12.5 ²
    most of these expensive boxset (Cobbham, Mwandishi, Weather Report etc..., respecting gatefolds and extended booklets): 12.7 ²
    those cheap boxsets - 3 or 5 albums (Sony/CBS/Legacy) (no gatefold, no added booklets) : 12.4 ²

sooooo, we're dealing between 12.4 and 13.7
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I just bought Peter Walker's second album on Vanguard, it's 13.5cm high and 13.4cm wide. It seems enormous next to the 12.4cm CDs. My Bonzo Dog boxed set consists of five 12.4cm square albums.

And I'm sorry, all mini-LPs feel cheap to me. Cheap and fragile.