Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Live staples that never appeared on a band's studio albums

Quote Originally Posted by Luckie View Post
    They played Seven Rays on the Back to the Bars tour, but (like Just One Victory) it didn't make it to the 1978 live album because it was too soon after Another Live. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iK-37Is3po

I'd say The Wheel turns up often enough in Todd's solo tours for it to be described as a staple.
    Seven rays and the wheel are definitely staples. seven rays seems to be on just about any 70s era utopia show(post another live). the wheel is also played at most of those and was also featured on the swing to the right tour you can see it on the dvd live at Royal Oak.

Bucks boogie from blue oyster cult does have a studio recording though it wasn't issued until much later.

Similarly ELPs pictures at an exhibition and the studio version is so much lesser in scope I think it still qualifies here. also nutrocker and peter gunn.

Nektar-Good Day
    Thinking is the best way to Travel....

Quote Originally Posted by richt View Post
    Nektar-Good Day
    Uh...it was on ...Sounds Like This

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...Sounds_Like_This

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    But here's the thing: I remember there used to be a Magma fan website, which quoted an interview with, I believe, Benoit Widemann, where it was mentioned that the Retrospectiw records were really studio recordings with crowd noise overdubbed on them. So maybe there is a studio version of Theusz Hamtaahk.
    a-HA! I always suspected...
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Hoelderlin - Die Stadt and Soft landing are not on any studio-albums

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Hoelderlin - Die Stadt and Soft landing are not on any studio-albums
    Meant to mention those. Thought about it, but forgot, after posting about the Kraan examples above.

Also just remembered: “Ma chérie Marquise de Sade,” by Anyone’s Daughter. Which is unfortunate, because it’s one of their best songs!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Springsteen had a great deal of original songs he played live but the studio versions were unavailable until the Tracks box in the late 90s. And then there were covers that were live staples like the Mitch Ryder medley, "Quarter to Three", "Raise Your Hand", "Twist and Shout", and "Mountain of Love".
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Springsteen had a great deal of original songs he played live but the studio versions were unavailable until the Tracks box in the late 90s. And then there were covers that were live staples like the Mitch Ryder medley, "Quarter to Three", "Raise Your Hand", "Twist and Shout", and "Mountain of Love".
    I remember when the 75-85 live boxset came out in 86 or whenever it was, there was a review in, I think, Musician or Rolling Stone, which basically the guy (apparently a massive Springsteen fan) kvetching about all the stuff that should have been on the box, but wasn't, including a bunch of unreleased songs, more stuff in general from 75, and more of the band arrangements of the songs from Nebraska. I think the guy actually said, "Oh, this is the best live album since Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out, but it could have been even better than that!".