Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bracket: Close To The Edge vs Fragile

Close To The Edge

Two masterpieces of equal measure

Fragile was when one of the greatest line ups in prog finally came together----and they experimented with a sound----they contributed individual songs and were on to something amazing---we could hear what this line up could do---what they were about and collaborated on some great classic songs----after being together for a while and creating an amazing sound---they created their masterpiece CTTE----Proving it matters who is in Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Ditto, but substitute "Heart of the Sunrise."
    Same here. I think South Side is the weakest of the ensemble songs, and my attention wanders a bit, impatient for the side 2 goodies. Surprised to see it runs to 8 minutes. I should give it a closer listen, methinks.

Oddly enough Fragile has more staying power for me, although I consider Close to the Edge to be the superior album. Hell, there was a book written recently explaining how CTTE single-handedly defined the entire genre (which I agree with to a point).

But the variety and diversity of Fragile keeps it fresher for me. Plus I've probably only heard it about 30,000 times, compared to upwards of 40,000 times for CTTE. Over-exposure diminishes anything, even prog's greatest masterpiece.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Both are perfect but Close to the Edge is a tiny bit more significant as an achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    The Yes Album
    my thoughts too, but I want to help Charles, no confuse him.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

CTTE was the album that really made me a prog fan. For years it was my favorite Yes album, and overall fave prog album, but Fragile has been my overall, favorite Yes album for at least 12 years. It just has more of what made Yes so great during their peak years.

it's like choosing your favorite child when you have twins....
    2 great Yes albums but each different in their offerings.
    i'll go with CTTE because some of the short solo 'projects' on Fragile bring it down.

Fragile would have been great it the track list was:
    1. Roundabout
    2. Long Distance Runaround
    3. South Side Of The Sky
    4. America
    5. Heart Of The Sunrise

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    1. Roundabout
    2. Long Distance Runaround
    3. South Side Of The Sky
    4. America
    5. Heart Of The Sunrise
    If that was the original tracklist, I think I'd prefer it to CTTE, but still not to TYA
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I disagree that the short, solo tracks bring Fragile down. I think it's part of what makes the album so adventurous and great.

As much as I love Fragile, has to be CTTE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CttE
    G.A.S -aholic

Close to the Edge is the peak of classic YES..................the last full release with Bruford and Wakeman still in the band together.
    Although I do love Fragile, The Yes Album and Relayer, CTTE is the most amazing work that Yes provided.

Close To The Edge. Easily. The prog album ever.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Fragile - as someone else said, the song craft. Although really overplayed, Roundabout is a perfect melding of pop song struture with progressive rock extravaganza. Plus, i prefer the Yessong versions of Siberian Khatru and AYAI. But really close

Relayer.
    But if I must choose- then CTTE over fragile

Close To The Edge has been my favourite album in any genre for over 40 years, with Fragile not that far behind.

Fragile was my very first album, so I'm loyal to it.

None of which is to say I don't love CTTE... again choosing between children!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Not to be contrary, but I'm going to have to go with Fragile. I don't think I can be reasonable about this (why should I be?, we're talking about music here) since it was the first one I heard. If I never heard Roundabout again I'd be a happy guy, but the songs that are strong are really strong. As interesting and well thought out and well put together as CTTE is, much of it just doesn't grab me emotionally in quite the same way as the best Fragile has to offer.
    <sig out of order>

Gotta go with Fragile. Despite its flaws (Cans & Brahms, specifically), I think this is the best-engineered & best-engineered Prog album.

I do love CttE, but I've come back around to the -- overplayed, in my life, but -- nearly-perfect Fragile.

CttE isn't quite the studio engineering marvel that Fragile is, IMO. Fragile was these 5 guys firing on all cylinders 99% of the time, and the attention to detail in the studio production was never equalled by any other Prog band, IMO (though Gentle Giant's Acquiring The Taste comes close, thanks to Tony Visconti. Again, imo).

Although "CTTE" the piece, is my favorite YES song/epic.... "And You & I" I have grown tired of, and SK is very cool but never a favorite. But i's a perfectly solid album. I would have to go with Fragile even though it's so overplayed to the point of pathetic. I think all of the regular pieces are absolute masterpieces, as well Steve & Chris's solo spots. If someone had never heard YES before, Fragile would be the album to give them for sure.

CTTE. Masterpiece of perfection.

Fragile is the best sounding record I've ever heard. Absolutely perfect. But musically, Close To The Edge is hard to beat (and only Tales From Topographic Oceans and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway even come close for me...)
    The Prog Corner

Fragile. It has the "ultimate" Yes sound to me. Heart of the Sunrise is to me the perfect example of a prog-rock song if I had to pick one from any group.