Thread: Birders

  1. #1326
    Member Digital_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philly burbs PA
    Posts
    1,349
    Did anyone catch the bird category on Jeopardy? Pretty cool. None of them knew what a life list was though.
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

  2. #1327
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Did anyone catch the bird category on Jeopardy? Pretty cool. None of them knew what a life list was though.
    I'm about 2 days behind in Jeopardy...
    Regards,

    Duncan

  3. #1328
    Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    4209′30″N 7108′43″W
    Posts
    4,041
    Finally spotted a bird this evening that I'd been hearing lately.
    A yellow-bellied sapsucker.

    2 or 3 years ago I started hearing a crow around my yard that would call "uh-uh" every so often. I've been hearing the same call every so often ever since. Could it possibly be the same bird?

  4. #1329
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    2,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Did anyone catch the bird category on Jeopardy? Pretty cool. None of them knew what a life list was though.
    Just watched it. Here in the Phoenix market, Jeopardy! airs during primetime opposite primetime programming. For decades I've had to VCR, then DVR it and watch the next day. The only exception was when for 1 season, it moved from the former ABC affiliate to the current ABC affiliate. The former experimented with moving Dr. Phil to primetime. When that didn't work, they moved Phil back to daytime and reclaimed Jeopardy!

    Not only did the contestants not know what a life list was, they couldn't identify Andrew Lloyd Webber as an EGOT composer. Seems obvious to me.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  5. #1330
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Just watched it. Here in the Phoenix market, Jeopardy! airs during primetime opposite primetime programming. For decades I've had to VCR, then DVR it and watch the next day. The only exception was when for 1 season, it moved from the former ABC affiliate to the current ABC affiliate. The former experimented with moving Dr. Phil to primetime. When that didn't work, they moved Phil back to daytime and reclaimed Jeopardy!

    Not only did the contestants not know what a life list was, they couldn't identify Andrew Lloyd Webber as an EGOT composer. Seems obvious to me.
    We watched it last night. I've always thought that "list" was called a "lifer list", and they'd probably rule against me. And I agree, I'd have thought that Lloyd Webber question was a gimme.

    For me, a successful Jeopardy is when I get the Final Jeopardy, but none of the contestants do (It only happens about once every month or 2.)

    I try to keep a count of the number of questions I get right, and pitch myself against the contestants. I think I'd qualify well for the show except for a few topics that would slaughter me: Pop culture, movies, and TV. I have no interest in those topics, and they'd sink my game if I ever tried...
    Regards,

    Duncan

  6. #1331
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    1,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Did anyone catch the bird category on Jeopardy? Pretty cool. None of them knew what a life list was though.
    Makes you feel good when you know something that none of the contestants know.

  7. #1332
    Member ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    We watched it last night. I've always thought that "list" was called a "lifer list", and they'd probably rule against me.
    My understanding is that the list of birds that you have seen during your life is a "life list", but spotting a bird that you've never seen before is a "lifer".

  8. #1333
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    2,432
    Jail birds would be another type of lifer.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  9. #1334
    Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    4209′30″N 7108′43″W
    Posts
    4,041
    Coming back from picking up the mail, I heard a sound I don't think I'd ever heard before, coming from the nearby tree. I took a look, expecting it to be some kind of big bug, and saw a blue jay. I found the sound online, the 10th clip on this page.
    https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Blue_Jay/sounds

  10. #1335
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Coming back from picking up the mail, I heard a sound I don't think I'd ever heard before, coming from the nearby tree. I took a look, expecting it to be some kind of big bug, and saw a blue jay. I found the sound online, the 10th clip on this page.
    https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Blue_Jay/sounds
    Wow, that's interesting. I can't say I've ever heard that, and we have plenty of blue jays. Sometimes they sound like young hawks.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  11. #1336
    Member ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Coming back from picking up the mail, I heard a sound I don't think I'd ever heard before, coming from the nearby tree. I took a look, expecting it to be some kind of big bug, and saw a blue jay. I found the sound online, the 10th clip on this page.
    https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Blue_Jay/sounds
    Interesting. I've heard that, or something similar to it. I always thought it was an insect or a frog.

  12. #1337
    Member ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,310
    I came home from shopping yesterday to find a sparrow hanging upside down from our bird feeder. At first, I thought it was dead but then saw it move. On closer inspection, its claw somehow got caught on the feeder and the poor thing was trapped there. I put on a pair of gardening gloves and very gently held on to him while releasing his foot. He wiggled free and flew away before I could check his leg for a break. I hope he's okay!

  13. #1338
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    25
    We have Swifts in our roofspace/loft , intent on sacrificing themselves to cat by coming into our " close ".Look it up. ,instead of flying out .
    Just saved the 2nd one in a week. They literally have no legs and only land in their nests usually. Absolutely amazing flyers though.

  14. #1339
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    5,323
    So apparently the Rosacea Spoonbill is taking up residence in northern Virginia:
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  15. #1340
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Springfield, Illinois
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by clivey View Post
    We have Swifts in our roofspace/loft , intent on sacrificing themselves to cat by coming into our " close ".Look it up. ,instead of flying out .
    Just saved the 2nd one in a week. They literally have no legs and only land in their nests usually. Absolutely amazing flyers though.
    It would be interesting to watch these birds.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •