Thread: Birders

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KayBur View Post
    I also enjoy taking photos of wildlife. If it is more difficult to catch animals in the frame, you can still see a bird in a tree. Only with the epidemiological situation you cannot travel much across the country, because you also need to live somewhere, and these are contacts with people. In general, we are waiting for vaccination, and then we can arrange a photo hunt.
    Birds in flight is a big challenge. Small target moving fast.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    So?! How did you do?
    We went to a few trails but it mainly became time with the dog. I think itís too late in the year for me to get more involved right now. Iím looking forward to visiting places next year and trying to learn Iím really ignorant of birds. It will be interesting taking the dog and just enjoying nature more next year when the weather turns nice.

How about bird feeders? We only have one of those suet feeders hanging in a tree by our deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    How about bird feeders? We only have one of those suet feeders hanging in a tree by our deck.
    Needed now more than every as we head into Winter. But, once you start putting food out, they will be relying on you to keep a steady supply.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Needed now more than every as we head into Winter. But, once you start putting food out, they will be relying on you to keep a steady supply.
    Several of the neighbors have feeders out. So they may not need to rely on me only

My parents got a cage feeder. Only smaller birds like sparrows and love birds can get in. Larger birds like pigeons are out of luck.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Suet feeds are good for woodpeckers and nuthatches. If you're unlucky, starlings and blue jays will poke at it too.

If you want more diversity, get a tube or cage feeder for mixed seed or black oil sunflower seeds.

I have a tube feeder with a good mix in it, a covered platform-type feeder (shaped like little house) with black oil sunflower inside and suet on the sides, and a small mesh tube for nyger. I also put a hummingbird feeder out starting April 1.
    Chad

This lovely Cooper's hawk paid us a visit a few days ago. The dozens of house sparrows at my feeder wisely went into hiding pretty quickly.

fullsizeoutput_9a0.jpg

fullsizeoutput_9a1.jpg

Great pictures! ^^^
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Great pictures! ^^^
    Thanks. He was kind enough to sit there and pose for me. They look kind of grainy here, but they are actually very clear. I don't know how to load them so that they are bigger.