Thread: Birders

  1. #901
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    2,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Went on an Eco tour of the St Johns River in FL. Attachment 13645

    Limpkin, female.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/n57Ye7pEBC5rw3za7
    Art is parasitic on life, just as criticism is parasitic on art.
    Harry S Truman

  2. #902
    Since we're discussing limpkins, I roped myself in to help some friends with a children's book about a Heron. I'm almost done with their web page, but there's a nice gallery of photos. Click on them to see the descriptions. This is an under-development link.

    http://divi.herotheheron.com/

    All original shots by one of the authors.
    Orange is the new stupid.

  3. #903
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    2,918
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Since we're discussing limpkins, I roped myself in to help some friends with a children's book about a Heron. I'm almost done with their web page, but there's a nice gallery of photos. Click on them to see the descriptions. This is an under-development link.

    http://divi.herotheheron.com/


    All original shots by one of the authors.
    Cool book.

    C05F9994-4DA8-43F3-B9A0-7CD474AC2A03.jpg
    Art is parasitic on life, just as criticism is parasitic on art.
    Harry S Truman

  4. #904
    There was a nice size hawk sitting in my neighbor's tree earlier this morning. I went out to take a look and he flew away. It is 28 degrees here and last Saturday night I saw Nektar at Orion Studios sitting outside in a t shirt in 70 degree weather.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

  5. #905
    I had a wild turkey on my pool today. Bastard better not have pecked a hole in the cover.
    Orange is the new stupid.

  6. #906
    Local Bald Eagles. Not my photo

    eagles.jpg
    Orange is the new stupid.

  7. #907
    Member ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Local Bald Eagles. Not my photo

    eagles.jpg
    Beautiful! I'm heading to Victoria, British Columbia (west coast of Canada) in June for a conference and I'm really hoping to spot some Bald Eagles while I'm there. My eyes will be peeled the entire time!

  8. #908
    NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Beautiful! I'm heading to Victoria, British Columbia (west coast of Canada) in June for a conference and I'm really hoping to spot some Bald Eagles while I'm there. My eyes will be peeled the entire time!
    You know you can see Bald Eagles in your next of the woods in Ontario, right?
    Chad

  9. #909
    Member ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    You know you can see Bald Eagles in your next of the woods in Ontario, right?
    So I've heard. But I've yet to see one.

    We see Osprey every summer up at the cottage we rent. They are really cool birds as well, but not nearly as big as eagles.

  10. #910
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterloo, IA, USA
    Posts
    633
    Living in the midwest we get to see bald eagles pretty regularly in the winter. A couple weeks ago my wife and I were driving along the Iowa river, on the north edge of town, and spotted 6 sitting in a tree along the river. We were in a bit of a rush or we would have stopped for a pic.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

  11. #911
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    So I've heard. But I've yet to see one.

    We see Osprey every summer up at the cottage we rent. They are really cool birds as well, but not nearly as big as eagles.
    There are a lot of Ospreys around Baltimore. There quite a few Bald Eagles in Baltimore and the next county over.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

  12. #912
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lynnwood WA
    Posts
    79
    DSCN2664 (800x600).jpg

    This is at a park along a river near where I live. They've been nesting there for the past 3 years.

  13. #913
    Member ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    You know you can see Bald Eagles in your next of the woods in Ontario, right?
    I just did a little research about where I might go to spot a bald eagle in Ontario. While they are here, it's estimated that there are only about 100 breeding pairs in the entire province. From what I can tell, most of them are at least a two hour drive from me.

  14. #914
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    There are a lot of Ospreys around Baltimore. There quite a few Bald Eagles in Baltimore and the next county over.
    Nice, Ed, though I've rarely seen any. There was a nesting pair of bald eagles in north Frederick county a few years ago, but they moved away after a year. The only place I've seen bald eagles with any regularity is along the quieter stretches of the Potomac.

    Sadly, I've yet to see an Osprey here.
    Regards,

    Duncan

  15. #915
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I just did a little research about where I might go to spot a bald eagle in Ontario. While they are here, it's estimated that there are only about 100 breeding pairs in the entire province. From what I can tell, most of them are at least a two hour drive from me.
    So, what's keeping you?
    Orange is the new stupid.

  16. #916
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    You know you can see Bald Eagles in your next of the woods in Ontario, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    So I've heard. But I've yet to see one.
    I've seen them, even in the city... but I've never been very close, and I don't have one of those amazing cameras most of my fellow birders have, so the only photos I've managed have been pretty poor quality. I want to be able to take those amazing photos I see posted in the bird groups, but I just can't walk around with that massive equipment around my neck.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  17. #917
    Member ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I've seen them, even in the city... but I've never been very close, and I don't have one of those amazing cameras most of my fellow birders have, so the only photos I've managed have been pretty poor quality. I want to be able to take those amazing photos I see posted in the bird groups, but I just can't walk around with that massive equipment around my neck.
    Really? I've only seen them in B.C. and Nova Scotia. I bought a really good point-and-shoot that has a lot of manual settings (that I don't know how to use) and a 60x optical zoom. It takes pretty decent shots, but still not the same as a DSLR with a big-ass lens.

    I friend of mine drove to Schomberg this weekend to hunt down a Northern Hawk Owl and got some great photos. He had to wait about an hour before the bird showed up at the nest. I'm happy to do that in the summer, but standing around in the winter ain't my thing.

    The Canadian Raptor Conservancy in Norfolk County has photography sessions. I may do one this summer. Although I might be embarrassed by my little camera. A lot of professional photographers go to these sessions. https://www.facebook.com/Canadian-Ra...7487077952041/

  18. #918
    NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,648
    How about this one?

    BaldEagle.jpg
    Chad

  19. #919
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    769
    Nice.

    Here's my best one:

    DSC07410-2.jpg

    (Taken with a camera that sounds similar to Esther's)
    Regards,

    Duncan

  20. #920
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lynnwood WA
    Posts
    79
    DSCN3866 (800x600).jpg

    This one had been on the ground in tall grass when I came by and flew into a tree. You can see the blood on the beak from whatever it was eating. I have a Nikon P610 that with luck and a lot of patience I can get some really nice pictures.

  21. #921

  22. #922
    Member ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    630
    ^ Wow!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •