Thread: Birders

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Feral love bird in my parents' backyard....

Actually, that's a Rosy-faced Lovebird. They are native to Africa, but some were brought to the US. A few colonies are now self-sustaining here, including one in the Phoenix area.

I saw some in Scottsdale last week when I was there for a conference. My #525th life bird!

Rose-faced Lovebirds.jpg
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Nice.
    Are those the guys that fish with their wings out shading the water?
    Yes. He was running back and forth chasing the fish too. Very entertaining.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Actually, that's a Rosy-faced Lovebird. They are native to Africa, but some were brought to the US. A few colonies are now self-sustaining here, including one in the Phoenix area.

I saw some in Scottsdale last week when I was there for a conference. My #525th life bird!

Rose-faced Lovebirds.jpg
    What happened was several years ago, a powerful monsoon storm blew down an aviary in the far eastern suburb of Apache Junction. All the lovebirds in said aviary scattered, and have been roaming free and reproducing ever since.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

You're absolutely right. The woman in the hotel gift shop told me that exact story.
    Chad

July morning hike among the newly bloomed wild flowers, it was an intoxicating aroma that reminded me a bit of coconut sun tan lotion. Unfortunately it was also very humid, which I hate. But I had not one new bird feeding experience, but two!

I noticed this guy inching closer to me while I was sitting down and taking a water break:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmP_f33sfVbi8UE2zwoBAq1GsN2Z

... so I stood up to see if he'd take a peanut and he bolted into the nearest tree, but he was still looking at me like he was considering it, so I stuck out my hand:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmP_f33sfVbi8UI2arg1vUc4wN_L

... and again!

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmP_f33sfVbi8UNNLGKnqI-y3Yzg

(Okay, so he doesn't land on my hand like the smaller birds, but I never thought a jay would even snatch from my hand like that! Boy, can you ever feel them!) EDIT: I've just done a frame-by-frame of these videos, and he does in fact land on me, but he's lightning quick. There's not even a frame of him snatching the nut - he doesn't have it and then a split second later, he does. Amazing!

... and as if that wasn't enough, this female cardinal - what a beauty!

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmP_f33sfVbi8UVZGTphYdQXg0JZ (first attempt - a fail! D'oh! )

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmP_f33sfVbi8UCMbj7GBnY5eEux (second attempt - success, but only a seed, and she wants that nut!)

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmP_f33sfVbi8URTIm9g0Hqh_M20 (full success! Oh, but she dropped it! Damn. Spoiler alert: she got it.)

The usual suspects were around again this morning too, including my little downy woodpecker friends, one of which let me stroke her soft little breast while she foraged for the best seeds, nuthatches, chickadees, blackbirds, grackles, and another big red-bellied woodpecker who hung upside down from my hand while he looked around, deciding which way he was going to fly. Ducks, geese, swans, and a stunning hawk soaring high above, uninterested in all of us.
    Last edited by Progatron; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:25 PM.
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

^^^
    That is super cool, and amazing that you're able to pull it off AND get video evidence!

Puts me in mind of this:
    homer.jpg
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

^^^ LOL! I should make that my profile picture... I have buddies like that following me everywhere! Yes, it's tricky to film these things, the best ones happen when I don't have my camera ready of course.

I can't get to you videos from work. That domain is blocked.
    Chad

Oh damn. It's just OneDrive, I'm not sure what other easy ways there are to share videos here, I can't upload them directly.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I have little knowledge about birds but I had a bright red (the whole body) bird in my backyard. Is this a Cardinal?

Back in the late 80's or early 90's my oldest daughter brought home a baby bird. We raised it and it was a female cardinal. When it was old enough to fly I would open the window and let it outside all day. You could go out and whistle to her and she would land on a branch next to you and you could feed her peanuts or watermelon. When dusk would hit I would go up on the second floor deck and whistle to her. I could hear her whistling back as she would be heading back to come in for the night. We eventually just left he out and hoped she could fend for herself.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I have little knowledge about birds but I had a bright red (the whole body) bird in my backyard. Is this a Cardinal?
    Most likely a northern cardinal.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Back in the late 80's or early 90's my oldest daughter brought home a baby bird. We raised it and it was a female cardinal. When it was old enough to fly I would open the window and let it outside all day. You could go out and whistle to her and she would land on a branch next to you and you could feed her peanuts or watermelon. When dusk would hit I would go up on the second floor deck and whistle to her. I could hear her whistling back as she would be heading back to come in for the night. We eventually just left he out and hoped she could fend for herself.
    One of my favorite birds.

I see them courting in my yard quite often. He'll be picking up seeds and feeding her.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

If it’s not crested, maybe a scarlet tanager?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    If it’s not crested, maybe a scarlet tanager?
    Hmm...maybe a northern cardinal not familiar with a scalet tanager but it was a beauty.

Hmm...maybe a northern cardinal not familiar with a scalet tanager but it was a beauty.
    Scarlet Tanagers are bright red with a black wing. If it was all red, it was probably a Cardinal.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Scarlet_Tanager/id

https://www.allaboutbirds.org is the best site for bird identification and anything else you want to know about birds.

Agreed. Scarlet Tanagers are the only other red bird in your area at this time of year besides Northern Cardinals. Pine Grosbeaks are there in the winter and Red Crossbills are just north of you. Cardinals do sometimes have their crests down. Just a thought.
    Chad

I was getting really tired of having to fill my feeder everyday because flocks of Starlings were eating me out of house and home. I spoke to our local Wild Birds Unlimited store and they suggested that I change from my usual seed blend to pure Safflower seeds because the black birds don't like it. I switched about 2 weeks ago and have not seen a Starling or Grackle at the feeder since. I have also not seen any skunks coming for the food fallen on the ground (while they are very cute, I always have be careful when I come home at night so as not to startle one). All the other birds, including woodpeckers, are still coming to feed...but not in quite as many numbers.

The person at the store suggested that I keep the safflower for a month, in which time the Grackles and Starlings will have to find other food sources. I'm going to keep the Safflower until the end of July and then try switching back.