Thread: Birders

It's 21 degrees outside and I just saw two bluebirds outside my window.

I thought they migrated south during the Winter.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    It's 21 degrees outside and I just saw two bluebirds outside my window.

I thought they migrated south during the Winter.
    They may have been confused by the previous warmer weather. Here in the Desert Southwest, our trees don't turn color and drop their leaves until our first cold snap. In some years, that's happened as late as February.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Nope. Eastern Bluebirds are around all year long PA.
    Chad

Determination.
    Are you looking at ME?
    https://i.imgur.com/Aif0qBh.mp4
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read - Unknown

Tons of robins in my yard this week in sub-20 temps. I thought they were migratory.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Here in Kissimmee, FL, the Limpkin:
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Several water birds:

Had about a dozen wild turkeys in my yard this morning, half of which were in my crabapple tree.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Birders

Had about a dozen wild turkeys in my yard this morning, half of which were in my crabapple tree.
    Speaking of turkeys, turkey vultures were taking over a trail:

And:

^^ Were you on a scavenger hunt?
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Tons of robins in my yard this week in sub-20 temps. I thought they were migratory.
    A couple dozen in my yard again yesterday. What's with that? I notice they've been showing up early in recent years, like February. But I don't ever recall seeing them in January like this.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

A few friends of mine and I drove to Maine last weekend to search for the Steller's Sea Eagle. We were first on the bird at 7:50 am. It was 4F in Boothbay Harbor, Maine and felt like -14F. We saw it flying northwest at sunrise from the Spruce Point area towards the Southpoint Bridge, but it went across a tree line and out of sight. We decided to drive to where we thought it went and eventually found it perched in a pine stand along a creek. The bird remained on its perch for four hours basking in the sun before taking off and flying up the creek.

The Steller's Sea Eagle has been making headlines lately due to its near-endangered status (less than 4,000 left in the world) and the vagrancy of this individual (it is native to Russia and Northern Japan). It was seen in Alaska last year, then Texas, then Nova Scotia. It recently made a trip down to Massachusetts and has now been patrolling the Boothbay Harbor area of Maine for a few weeks. The bird is significantly larger than a Bald Eagle and has a wingspan as long as eight feet. On average, it is the largest and heaviest eagle on the planet. If you are anywhere near Maine, I would highly recommend trying to get a glimpse of this bird. It's quite the sight.

StellersSeaEagle.jpg
    Chad

A couple dozen in my yard again yesterday. What's with that? I notice they've been showing up early in recent years, like February. But I don't ever recall seeing them in January like this.
    Not all robins migrate. Many of them stick around all year.
    https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/...bin/maps-range
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    A few friends of mine and I drove to Maine last weekend to search for the Steller's Sea Eagle. We were first on the bird at 7:50 am. It was 4F in Boothbay Harbor, Maine and felt like -14F. We saw it flying northwest at sunrise from the Spruce Point area towards the Southpoint Bridge, but it went across a tree line and out of sight. We decided to drive to where we thought it went and eventually found it perched in a pine stand along a creek. The bird remained on its perch for four hours basking in the sun before taking off and flying up the creek.

The Steller's Sea Eagle has been making headlines lately due to its near-endangered status (less than 4,000 left in the world) and the vagrancy of this individual (it is native to Russia and Northern Japan). It was seen in Alaska last year, then Texas, then Nova Scotia. It recently made a trip down to Massachusetts and has now been patrolling the Boothbay Harbor area of Maine for a few weeks. The bird is significantly larger than a Bald Eagle and has a wingspan as long as eight feet. On average, it is the largest and heaviest eagle on the planet. If you are anywhere near Maine, I would highly recommend trying to get a glimpse of this bird. It's quite the sight.

StellersSeaEagle.jpg
    Wow! I've been following this story - fantastic that you were able to see it!
    Regards,

Duncan

Brownie Wise Park contains a conservation area for Eagles. When I first saw this black creature I was stunned, until my friend told me the bird was the juvenile Bald Headed Eagle. Was here near Kissimmee last year and they didnt have these stands with perchs. Cool place on a peninsula in a large clear water lake.

I saw what looked like a blue heron a few weeks ago down by a stream while I was driving. I never seem to have a camera when I need one. Keep posting these cool pictures. Love the eagles pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I saw what looked like a blue heron a few weeks ago down by a stream while I was driving. I never seem to have a camera when I need one. Keep posting these cool pictures. Love the eagles pictures.
    Don't you have a camera on your iphone?
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Don't you have a camera on your iphone?
    Yes but its not all that great. I have an old phone. Plus its not too easy taking pictures while youre driving. I guess the newer phones have a lot better cameras. Ive tried taking some pictures but taking a picture of a small bird at 40 feet away doesnt come out very good. Id like to someday purchase a really good camera and lens to take some great pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Brownie Wise Park contains a conservation area for Eagles. When I first saw this black creature I was stunned, until my friend told me the bird was the juvenile Bald Headed Eagle. Was here near Kissimmee last year and they didn’t have these stands with perchs. Cool place on a peninsula in a large clear water lake.
    Your photos are:
    1. Snail Kite
    2. Bald Eagle (adult)
    3. Snail Kite
    4. Osprey
    Chad