Page 8 of 86 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: Birders

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I'll be in Halifax for businees this week and staying in a hotel right on the harbour. I'll keep my eye out for them.
    That's not far from Peggy's Cove, a super-cool place.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That's not far from Peggy's Cove, a super-cool place.
    Yup. I've been there. You're right. It's very cool.

Jefferson James
    The Black-Headed Grosbeaks have arrived from Mexico right on time (no pics, I was in the shower, not that I could have gotten one anyway). Been seeing mama Steller's jays feeding their adolescents the past couple of weeks, Dark Eyed Juncos are all over the place, and the robins have appeared. Hoping to see a Northern Flicker soon, one used to come to my feeder last year, really gorgeous creatures.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    We have Northern Flickers all year. We see them doing their mating dances at this time of year. Neat display. Our Juncos should be heading north soon, same with the White-throated Sparrows. We are on the cusp on spring migration here and I am SO READY for warblers! The early ones have arrived (Pine and Palm), but the rest are starting to move. Yellow-throated Warblers and Northern Parulas should be here soon, followed by the rest of the warblers and the vireos. Can't wait!
    Chad

There are lots of LBJ's around right now.
    They are very flighty and hard to id. It's like they don't want to be seen very clearly.
    Little warblers I guess. Don't know the calls.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

They could be kinglets too. They are very small and very jumpy. Ruby-crowned and Golden-crowned are still here, but should be moving north soon.

The warblers will be LYJ (little yellow jobs), with a few exceptions, like the Black-throated Blue Warbler and the Black-and-white Warbler. The second wave is starting to hit VA now.
    Chad

Meanwhile, back in Eurasia......saw a dotterel calling while out on a hill walk at the weekend - quite a rarity around these parts, I had to look it up!

I had to look up a Dotterel. What a cool looking plover! Interesting that they winter in Northern Africa and breed in very northern Russia and Scandinavia.
    Chad

Got a nice look at a female Downy Woodpecker yesterday.

Not my photo.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I had to look up a Dotterel. What a cool looking plover! Interesting that they winter in Northern Africa and breed in very northern Russia and Scandinavia.
    They're also unusual in that it's the male who does all the child-rearing, and the female who is the showy, colourful one who likes to put it about...

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    They're also unusual in that it's the male who does all the child-rearing, and the female who is the showy, colourful one who likes to put it about...
    Just consulted the Audubon Society's "Transgender Birds" field guide and sure enough Dotterel's are in there.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    We saw Puffins and Murre's off the coast of Sitka Alaska at St. Lazaria Island. A major nesting spot. The whole beak full of fish and all that. Pretty cool.
    There are some off of the coast of Maine. We saw some on a whale watching cruise from Bar Harbor. Not nearly as many.
    There are some specific nesting islands off of the Maine coast, all require a boat trip.
    I was in Bar Harbor more than 10 years ago and my then girlfriend and I were thinking about taking the whale watching/puffin sighting trip. But we didn't have another day to spend as there as we were heading down to Cape Cod. I also want to get to Nova Scotia either this year or next. Partly birds, partly lighthouses, partly other scenery. Of course if I could take a trip to Iceland or The Faroe Islands, I could not only see puffins, but I could have them for dinner!

Along the Oregon Coast, the information signs all talk about puffins being around and I guess they do winter as far down as Baja California. But I've asked some of the volunteers and none of them have ever seen them. While I was down there a few weeks ago, I didn't manage to see these even though it was rainy and dark.
    Harlequin Duck.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tdotdo View Post
    I also want to get to Nova Scotia either this year or next. Partly birds, partly lighthouses, partly other scenery.
    Nova Scotia is super-cool. We went there many years ago and traveled along the Lighthouse Route, staying at B&Bs along the way. We flew into Yarmouth and drove up to Halifax. I got so many cool photos. Someone my wife worked with at the time said she hated it because all it was was pine trees. Evidently, she drove up the highway that runs through the middle of the province and is surrounded by evergreens. She missed everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    See also: phalaropes. I’ve never seen any, at least not to my knowledge: we only get phalaropes round these parts in their drab, winter plumage.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I get to see American Avocets in their winter plumage on a regular basis.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I'm in Halifax right now for business. I'm going home tomorrow. It was a beautiful, sunny afternoon today and my meeting ended at 2:00 so I took a nice long walk along the Halifax harbour boardwalk. All I saw were Herring Gulls, Terns, Crows, and one duck that was too far away for me to identify. Nothing very exciting at all.

Got a nice look at a female Downy Woodpecker yesterday.

Not my photo.
    We get both Downy and Hairy woodpeckers at our feeder, pretty much, daily. I love seeing them.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    We get both Downy and Hairy woodpeckers at our feeder, pretty much, daily. I love seeing them.
    Yep, I see Red-Headed and Red-Bellied pretty often. The Downy, not so much.

One bird we see here in the Sonoran Desert, which none of y'all do, are cactus wren. My parents occasionally have some nesting in their queen palms in front of their house.

We also have isolated populations of wild love birds, descended from escaped house birds. They'd never survive in a colder climate, since love birds are non-migratory...like the african swallow.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    One bird we see here in the Sonoran Desert, which none of y'all do, are cactus wren. My parents occasionally have some nesting in their queen palms in front of their house.

We also have isolated populations of wild love birds, descended from escaped house birds. They'd never survive in a colder climate, since love birds are non-migratory...like the african swallow.
    Laden, or un-laden?
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post

I'm not sure which swallow you're referring to. There are about a dozen swallows native to Africa, but none are called the 'african swallow' AFAIK.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

I'm not sure which swallow you're referring to. There are about a dozen swallows native to Africa, but none are called the 'african swallow' AFAIK.
    He's referring to the one that has to beat it's wings together 43 times a second to maintain velocity, I believe. Unladen. We're still not sure how the coconuts got there.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Obligatory XKCD reference
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Yep, I see Red-Headed and Red-Bellied pretty often. The Downy, not so much.
    You have Red-headed often?!
    Chad

We get Red bellied, Downy, Hairy in this area. Along with Yellow Shafted flickers, Nuthatches ( loved those guys ), Brown Creepers ( them too ).
    -- Aristotle