Page 52 of 86 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 2135

Thread: Birders

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Nice pictures, Chris.
    Thanks Duncan. Its also amazing that blue herons reside in the cold Patapsco State park and along the C&O in MD, in winter too.

Regards,

Duncan

Hey, I resemble that remark! 😃

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Alternate caption:
    People under 50 when they see someone who doesn't have a phone superglued to their hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Alternate caption:
    People under 50 when they see someone who doesn't have a phone superglued to their hand.
    Cross-post to the geezer thread: I have to laugh when I'm in the grocery store and see parents pushing a cart, and their teenage daughter a few steps behind just staring down at her phone.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Once upon a time, many decades ago and in a different country, I used to be very good at identifying birds from their calls.

I completely lost that skill, though, and know I need to get back into it.

So I've been having a blast with an app called BirdNET, put together by a group from Cornell. It's free.

You open the app and hit "record", listen for a bird call, and watch the spectrogram. When you hear a good one, highlight the section of the spectrogram that includes the call and hit "analyze" - and abracadabra, like magic, the app tells you who you've been hearing.

It sounds complicated, but it's very quick and simple once you figure it out.

Highly recommended.
    Regards,

Duncan

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Once upon a time, many decades ago and in a different country, I used to be very good at identifying birds from their calls.

I completely lost that skill, though, and know I need to get back into it.

So I've been having a blast with an app called BirdNET, put together by a group from Cornell. It's free.

You open the app and hit "record", listen for a bird call, and watch the spectrogram. When you hear a good one, highlight the section of the spectrogram that includes the call and hit "analyze" - and abracadabra, like magic, the app tells you who you've been hearing.

It sounds complicated, but it's very quick and simple once you figure it out.

Highly recommended.
    I’m going to try this. I got an email from the Cornell lab about a feature to download on the Merlin ID app for identifying by sound but every time I hit the button the record it says failed to start. I tried deleting the program and then reinstalling it again and it still didn’t work. Not sure if there’s something not quite right with the program or something I’m not doing right.

Thanks

Rick

Sandhill cranes off of my in-laws deck in Montana. There were 4 this morning. Loud suckers from 150 yards.
    Sandhill2.jpg
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Sandhill cranes off of my in-laws deck in Montana. There were 4 this morning. Loud suckers from 150 yards.
    Sandhill2.jpg
    It’s amazing where we have seen sand hill cranes. First time was down in Frostproof, FL at my significant other’s dad’s house, and then up in western Maryland in the mountains.

Mystery illness hasn't gotten here yet, but some lady called out the local Ace hardware on a town Facebook page for selling moldy bird seed because the manager refused to do anything about it, and she said she was going to call the HQ to complain, and some yo-yo called her a "Karen". It can be harmful or deadly to birds.

Mystery illness hasn't gotten here yet, but some lady called out the local Ace hardware on a town Facebook page for selling moldy bird seed because the manager refused to do anything about it, and she said she was going to call the HQ to complain, and some yo-yo called her a "Karen". It can be harmful or deadly to birds.
    The "Karen" would be the woman who claims it's her god-given right to poison birds with mold.

This country is so fucked up.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    The "Karen" would be the woman who claims it's her god-given right to poison birds with mold.

This country is so fucked up.
    My parents' 2 doors down neighbor until recently fed the pigeons. Masses of them would roost on her roof, and cause a problem for every nearby neighbor. They would even roost on nearby street lights, pooping all over the photoelectric cell which tells the lights it's daytime. The lights would stay on all hours. The HOA of the "active adult community" finally threatened to fine her daily, if she continued feeding them. She finally got the message.

BTW: I recently told my Aunt Karen not to be a Karen.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    BTW: I recently told my Aunt Karen not to be a Karen.
    My wife's name is Karen and this whole "Karen" thing really pisses her off.

https://patch.com/rhode-island/crans...illness-ri-dem

Rhode Island is recommending the removal of bird feeders, though the illness has not yet reached New England.
    I wonder if hummingbird feeders are proscribed?

Rhode Island is recommending the removal of bird feeders, though the illness has not yet reached New England.
    The removal advice I'm seeing includes hummingbird feeders.

It's not just about the food; it's also about trying to prevent birds from congregating.

It's not just about the food; it's also about trying to prevent birds from congregating.
    Damned birds won't listen.

They know they should be 6 feet apart and wearing masks
    Regards,

Duncan

I stopped putting out hummingbird feeders because I got tired of the constant cleaning and replacing of 'nectar'. Plus ants. It always seemed to go bad about the time they started coming around.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Some feeders have a moat around the hanger to keep out ants. I built one with a soda bottle.

Banned

Absolutely, and the large bird bath has been described as the most likely and easiest place for spread. All of the birds dip their beaks into the same source

Damned birds won't listen.

They know they should be 6 feet apart and wearing masks
    This made me guffaw!

Thankfully, I haven't heard anything about this illness up here in Ontario. Keep it below the border please. My birdfeeder and birdbath have brought me great joy during this past year in lockdown. I would hate to have to remove them.

Hummingbird feeders are filled with sugar water. A substance highly favorable for microbial growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Absolutely, and the large bird bath has been described as the most likely and easiest place for spread. All of the birds dip their beaks into the same source
    I guess I'll need to empty mine. I didn't even think of that. But, to be honest, I think it gives the deer drinking water more than anything based on the hoof prints I'm seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Hummingbird feeders are filled with sugar water. A substance highly favorable for microbial growth.
    Right. You have to clean the feeder and change the nectar every few days as markwoll pointed out.