Thread: Birders

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yeah, that, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I didn’t notice the bird
    Seriously?

One of the Pigeon sisters.

Had two birds in my back woods that I thought were rattle snakes until I got close enough to see they were birds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A chattering sounds? They might have been wrens. I had a family of wrens in the house in my garden until a few days ago. The father would be chattering up a storm while I watered my plants. There were at least four times when he literally dove into my head. The ungrateful bastard didn't know I was the one who gave him a home.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Being locked-down I have become addicted to watching these Ospreys in Scotland grow from babies to almost full-size. It’s a bit like a soap opera wondering if the male or female will show up first with the freshly caught fish from the loch - then watching the youngsters fight over scraps. This morning we finally had one of the three fledglings take its maiden flight - some browsers allow you to go back on the live stream. If you go to about 6:10 this morning you’ll see the whole thing as it evolved. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rgeLp2TX36c

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Being locked-down I have become addicted to watching these Ospreys in Scotland grow from babies to almost full-size. It’s a bit like a soap opera wondering if the male or female will show up first with the freshly caught fish from the loch - then watching the youngsters fight over scraps. This morning we finally had one of the three fledglings take its maiden flight - some browsers allow you to go back on the live stream. If you go to about 6:10 this morning you’ll see the whole thing as it evolved. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rgeLp2TX36c
    I love this! Thanks for sharing it.

And, I can rewind.

Now that I've watched it, 1. That's a brave bird. If the wings don't work, that's a long way down! 2. I love the reactions of the other two birds. They're, like, WTF? Where did he go?!
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 07-18-2020 at 12:16 PM.

I didn’t notice the bird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I noticed the nice bird......and the eagle too.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

A love bird (sitting in the pan) sharing the feeder with some sparrows. My folks used to keep a feed block in the back yard, but switched to the feeder to keep the pigeons out.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    A love bird (sitting in the pan) sharing the feeder with some sparrows. My folks used to keep a feed block in the back yard, but switched to the feeder to keep the pigeons out.

There has been a significant uptick in random escaped exotic birds in my area.
    My guess is that owners are bored and let them fly around the house and then forget and they fly out of the first open door.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

My wife took these pictures of a barred owl in our back yard this morning. Seems to have been hunting for his/her breakfast; see if you can find it in the second pic :
    hootie1.jpghootie2.jpg
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    My wife took these pictures of a barred owl in our back yard this morning. Seems to have been hunting for his/her breakfast; see if you can find it in the second pic :
    hootie1.jpghootie2.jpg
    It's a good hider.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    hootie1.jpghootie2.jpg
    Wow!
    Chad

Banned

Birders

Suggested as the name of the “Washington Football Team”

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Suggested as the name of the “Washington Football Team”
    The “Washington Football Team”, soon to be abbreviated as the "WFT".

Or more likely - the "WTF"
    Regards,

Duncan

hootie1.jpghootie2.jpg
    I FOUND THE OWL

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Several grackles were hanging around under our butterfly bushes and trying to fly up to grab butterflies feeding above them. I went out to tell them to get lost, but they scrammed as soon as the door opened.

hootie1.jpghootie2.jpg
    Nice!

Banned
    2nd year in a row we have seen sandhill cranes in WV at 3000ft+ altitude, not flying of course. Seen many in Florida.

I know this is a thread for birders, but we're trying to identify these interesting bugs. Thought I'd take a chance here.

bug2.jpgbug.jpg
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I know this is a thread for birders, but we're trying to identify these interesting bugs. Thought I'd take a chance here.

bug2.jpgbug.jpg
    I’ve seen those things. They look like something from a Star Trek movie

I’ve seen those things. They look like something from a Star Trek movie
    I meant to follow up. We were able to identify them as Jagged Ambush Bug nymphs. Apparently, because of its small size, colorful camouflage, potent poison and surprise tactics, the Jagged Ambush Bug is able to catch and eat insects that are ten times larger than it is.

^^ That reminds me of one summer when I was searching the trees on my parents' acre, for cicadas to feed to the chickens. I saw and was about to grab one, when I noticed it was already being eaten by a praying mantis.

^^ That reminds me of one summer when I was searching the trees on my parents' acre, for cicadas to feed to the chickens. I saw and was about to grab one, when I noticed it was already being eaten by a praying mantis.
    Cue the Lion King and The Circle of Life music.

On another occasion, there was a huge frog in the backyard, which was separated from the back pasture by a fence. I grabbed a cicada from the screen enclosing the back patio, and held it in front of the frog. Next thing I knew, there was a tongue wrapped around my thumb and index finger. Having been freaked out, I drop the cicada on the grass. The frog promptly snapped the bug in its mouth.

I was expecting the frog to snap the bug right out from between my thumb and index finger. I guess its aim was just a little off.
    Last edited by progmatist; 08-27-2020 at 01:38 PM.

On another occasion, there was a huge frog in the backyard, which was separated from the back pasture by a fence. I grabbed a cicada from the screen enclosing the back patio, and held it in front of the frog. Next thing I knew, there was a tongue wrapped around my thumb and index finger. Having been freaked out, I drop the cicada on the grass. The frog promptly snapped the bug in its mouth.

I was expecting the frog to snap the bug right out from between my thumb and index finger. I guess its aim was just a little off.
    I was fishing about fifteen years ago at a local pond. I was using a rubber frog and I laid him in the middle of the lily pads under a tree, all the sudden something takes it under. I'm reeling it in thinking I had a large mouth bass, turned out to be a bull frog about afoot and a half long. Luckily he didn't get hooked but wouldn't let go of my frog. A customer I built an addition for had small ponds in their backyard for frogs and toads to breed in every year. One day she found a dead frog with bird feet sticking out of it's mouth. So they mounted a camera hoping to catch another frog catching. What the frog does is wait for a bird to come and get a drink then knock them into the pond and drown it and swallow it.

I had a first sighting today! What looked like a dove was pecking between our interlocking bricks where we often have a lot of ants. But then I noticed a red spot on the back of its neck and a very long thick dark beak. That's no dove! When it flew away I noticed a distinctly white back under the wings. I was able to identify it as a Northern Flicker. When it flew away, another that had been under our bird feeder took off with it, so there were actually two of them. I'm going to have to pay closer attention to our doves!

I tried to take some photos, but I was actually on the phone at the time so I was holding the phone in one hand and the camera in the other. The photo was through a window screen and I couldn't get my camera to stop focusing on the screen. So no photos worth sharing here. Hopefully they come back.