Page 37 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: Birders

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Went on an Eco tour of the St Johns River in FL. Attachment 13645

Limpkin, female.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/n57Ye7pEBC5rw3za7

Since we're discussing limpkins, I roped myself in to help some friends with a children's book about a Heron. I'm almost done with their web page, but there's a nice gallery of photos. Click on them to see the descriptions. This is an under-development link.

http://divi.herotheheron.com/

All original shots by one of the authors.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Since we're discussing limpkins, I roped myself in to help some friends with a children's book about a Heron. I'm almost done with their web page, but there's a nice gallery of photos. Click on them to see the descriptions. This is an under-development link.

http://divi.herotheheron.com/

All original shots by one of the authors.
    Cool book.

C05F9994-4DA8-43F3-B9A0-7CD474AC2A03.jpg

There was a nice size hawk sitting in my neighbor's tree earlier this morning. I went out to take a look and he flew away. It is 28 degrees here and last Saturday night I saw Nektar at Orion Studios sitting outside in a t shirt in 70 degree weather.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I had a wild turkey on my pool today. Bastard better not have pecked a hole in the cover.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Local Bald Eagles. Not my photo

eagles.jpg

Local Bald Eagles. Not my photo

eagles.jpg
    Beautiful! I'm heading to Victoria, British Columbia (west coast of Canada) in June for a conference and I'm really hoping to spot some Bald Eagles while I'm there. My eyes will be peeled the entire time!

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Beautiful! I'm heading to Victoria, British Columbia (west coast of Canada) in June for a conference and I'm really hoping to spot some Bald Eagles while I'm there. My eyes will be peeled the entire time!
    You know you can see Bald Eagles in your next of the woods in Ontario, right?
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    So I've heard. But I've yet to see one.

We see Osprey every summer up at the cottage we rent. They are really cool birds as well, but not nearly as big as eagles.

Living in the midwest we get to see bald eagles pretty regularly in the winter. A couple weeks ago my wife and I were driving along the Iowa river, on the north edge of town, and spotted 6 sitting in a tree along the river. We were in a bit of a rush or we would have stopped for a pic.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

We see Osprey every summer up at the cottage we rent. They are really cool birds as well, but not nearly as big as eagles.
    There are a lot of Ospreys around Baltimore. There quite a few Bald Eagles in Baltimore and the next county over.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

DSCN2664 (800x600).jpg

This is at a park along a river near where I live. They've been nesting there for the past 3 years.

I just did a little research about where I might go to spot a bald eagle in Ontario. While they are here, it's estimated that there are only about 100 breeding pairs in the entire province. From what I can tell, most of them are at least a two hour drive from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    There are a lot of Ospreys around Baltimore. There quite a few Bald Eagles in Baltimore and the next county over.
    Nice, Ed, though I've rarely seen any. There was a nesting pair of bald eagles in north Frederick county a few years ago, but they moved away after a year. The only place I've seen bald eagles with any regularity is along the quieter stretches of the Potomac.

Sadly, I've yet to see an Osprey here.
    Regards,

Duncan

I just did a little research about where I might go to spot a bald eagle in Ontario. While they are here, it's estimated that there are only about 100 breeding pairs in the entire province. From what I can tell, most of them are at least a two hour drive from me.
    So, what's keeping you?

I've seen them, even in the city... but I've never been very close, and I don't have one of those amazing cameras most of my fellow birders have, so the only photos I've managed have been pretty poor quality. I want to be able to take those amazing photos I see posted in the bird groups, but I just can't walk around with that massive equipment around my neck.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I've seen them, even in the city... but I've never been very close, and I don't have one of those amazing cameras most of my fellow birders have, so the only photos I've managed have been pretty poor quality. I want to be able to take those amazing photos I see posted in the bird groups, but I just can't walk around with that massive equipment around my neck.
    Really? I've only seen them in B.C. and Nova Scotia. I bought a really good point-and-shoot that has a lot of manual settings (that I don't know how to use) and a 60x optical zoom. It takes pretty decent shots, but still not the same as a DSLR with a big-ass lens.

I friend of mine drove to Schomberg this weekend to hunt down a Northern Hawk Owl and got some great photos. He had to wait about an hour before the bird showed up at the nest. I'm happy to do that in the summer, but standing around in the winter ain't my thing.

The Canadian Raptor Conservancy in Norfolk County has photography sessions. I may do one this summer. Although I might be embarrassed by my little camera. A lot of professional photographers go to these sessions. https://www.facebook.com/Canadian-Ra...7487077952041/

How about this one?

BaldEagle.jpg
    Chad

Nice.

Here's my best one:

DSC07410-2.jpg

(Taken with a camera that sounds similar to Esther's)
    Regards,

Duncan

DSCN3866 (800x600).jpg

This one had been on the ground in tall grass when I came by and flew into a tree. You can see the blood on the beak from whatever it was eating. I have a Nikon P610 that with luck and a lot of patience I can get some really nice pictures.

^ Wow!

I saw my first red-winged blackbird in quite some time yesterday. I am unaware of their migratory practices. I guess they don't stick around in western PA.

I saw my first red-winged blackbird in quite some time yesterday. I am unaware of their migratory practices. I guess they don't stick around in western PA.
    Interesting. They push north in the summer and south the in the winter but they are year-round residents for much of the lower 48, including Western PA. They’re not seen as often Dec-Feb but I’ve seen several in the last few weeks including a few large flocks in western Chester County.

What I really need is a Yellow-headed Blackbird in one of those flocks!
    Chad

Interesting. They push north in the summer and south the in the winter but they are year-round residents for much of the lower 48, including Western PA. They’re not seen as often Dec-Feb but I’ve seen several in the last few weeks including a few large flocks in western Chester County.

What I really need is a Yellow-headed Blackbird in one of those flocks!
    Well, I have seen a lot of black birds (not necessarily blackbirds), but couldn't quite identify them, since they were in the trees. But we had hundreds in the trees a couple of weeks ago. I suspect they were cowbirds or something (grackles?) other than red winged blackbirds. I've never seen a flock of those.