Page 35 of 86 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585 ... LastLast

Thread: Birders

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    https://www.universalhub.com/2019/rara-avis-milton

Never even heard of these before.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Finally coaxed a blue jay to land on my hand properly (if briefly!) today. Video here:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmP_f33sfVbi8nOX...PzeVU?e=evCI26

He did it four times in total, I only managed to film it twice. He was super quick each time, so I had to do a frame by frame to get a good shot of him actually landed on my hand. Boy, you really feel them too.

Attachment 13457
    You know what they say...a bird in the hand.........
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

What is a racing pigeon? We found a pigeon in our parking lot at work with a tag on its leg. We tracked the owner and it was from Connecticut I believe. Unfortunately it was in bad shape and died.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    What is a racing pigeon? We found a pigeon in our parking lot at work with a tag on its leg. We tracked the owner and it was from Connecticut I believe. Unfortunately it was in bad shape and died.

The "white doves" released at weddings and what not are actually racing/homing pigeons. Once released, they simply fly back to their coop.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Racing pigeons was massively popular when I was growing up in my hometown in the east of Glasgow, Scotland. The guy who lived across the street from me had built his own dovecot (called a dookit in Scottish parlance). He used to put his pigeons in a wicker box and they would be shipped to France, , Belgium Ireland or who knows where - a few days later he could be seen trying to coax the first arrivals down from neighbouring roofs with dried corn - which I think was all he ever fed them. Once he had one of them in hand he would put the leg which had a metal tag attached into in some kind of device and that would validate his pigeons had arrived home. Not sure exactly what then happened I guess he submitted the device to the local club and they would collate the same from all other members and declare a winner.
    I hadn't thought about any of this for decades - or at least not until Jimmy Smits last episode of NYPD Blue.

There were a couple people around my way in Baltimore that used to race pigeons. They would take them as far as Cuba and release them.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Spent a long weekend in Cape May last weekend, and while we missed the Golden Eagle and Cave Swallows, I did get this great photo of an American Bittern right after he caught an afternoon snack...

AmericanBittern with fish.jpg
    Chad

^^^ Great shot!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Spent a long weekend in Cape May last weekend, and while we missed the Golden Eagle and Cave Swallows, I did get this great photo of an American Bittern right after he caught an afternoon snack...

AmericanBittern with fish.jpg
    Great shot. What a beautiful bird!

Thanks! It was really tough to get a fix on him. He was really buried in the reeds. I was lucky to finally lock in focus after he caught the fish.
    Chad

Thanks! It was really tough to get a fix on him. He was really buried in the reeds. I was lucky to finally lock in focus after he caught the fish.
    I'm starting to photograph more birds and I'm learning that bird photography is 10% skill and 90% luck. The little buggers just won't sit still!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I'm starting to photograph more birds and I'm learning that bird photography is 10% skill and 90% luck. The little buggers just won't sit still!
    The third criteria is patience.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Went to Orion Studios this past Saturday night. Didn't see any birds but about a six point buck came strolling through the parking lot when I went out to get some air.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Went to Orion Studios this past Saturday night. Didn't see any birds but about a six point buck came strolling through the parking lot when I went out to get some air.
    I had this eight-pointed beast in my yard yesterday. He's been sniffing out the ladies all week. Shot's a bit fuzzy, though.

8-pointer.jpg
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

We had a bird flying around in the house other than the turkey late this afternoon. My wife did get it out of the house, she said it landed on her hand but the had her phone in the other hand. I think it was some kind of wren that resembled the one below.

That's a Carolina Wren. One makes a nest in my shed every year. It seems that's a common characteristic.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Nearfest2, since you're in the Lehigh Valley, how often do you go to Henry's Woods/Jacobsburg Park in Belfast? I was just there yesterday, while visiting family. I heard some interesting calls on the trails. There have been more than 130 species identified there. I've been going to Henry's Woods for over 40 years.

For anyone who doesn't know, Henry's Woods, which is part of Jacobsburg Park, is named for being the original site of the Henry Gun Factory. I'm pretty sure Henrys were the first repeating guns sold to the Native Americans.

Lots of history in that area. Easton (my hometown), Bethlehem, Nazareth, Bath. Tons of history.

78303665_2598393463582246_9142962848845004800_n.jpg

Not the best photo, but I saw a pileated woodpecker outside my residence today. These things are usually pretty shy, but this fellow didn’t care that I was lurking around.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Nearfest2, since you're in the Lehigh Valley, how often do you go to Henry's Woods/Jacobsburg Park in Belfast? I was just there yesterday, while visiting family. I heard some interesting calls on the trails. There have been more than 130 species identified there. I've been going to Henry's Woods for over 40 years.
    Actually, I haven't lived in the Lehigh Valley since 2000. I've never heard of Henry's Woods.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    78303665_2598393463582246_9142962848845004800_n.jpg

Not the best photo, but I saw a pileated woodpecker outside my residence today. These things are usually pretty shy, but this fellow didn’t care that I was lurking around.
    Beautiful! I've only sighted a Pileated twice. Once was before the days of cameras in cell phones, so I just stood at the side of the road and enjoyed watching it until it flew away. The second time was two summers ago at the cottage, and it was a fly-by with a very brief (only seconds) stop at a tree.

Actually, I haven't lived in the Lehigh Valley since 2000. I've never heard of Henry's Woods.
    https://www.stateparks.com/jacobsbur...nsylvania.html

I looked it up after reading your original post. I've been up that way looking for a reports Gyrfalcon a few times.
    Chad