Page 31 of 86 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181 ... LastLast

Thread: Birders

I have a wren nesting in my shed. Just inside the door on a narrow shelf behind my hanging shovel, rakes, etc. She's getting more and comfortable with me walking in and out, no longer flying off when I step in. Eggs should hatch any day now.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Feral love bird in my parents' backyard....

"Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I have a wren nesting in my shed. Just inside the door on a narrow shelf behind my hanging shovel, rakes, etc. She's getting more and comfortable with me walking in and out, no longer flying off when I step in. Eggs should hatch any day now.
    House or Carolina?
    Chad

I'm pretty sure it's a Carolina Wren. The eggs and the striped head of the mother are a giveaway.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

My wife rescued a house wren from our bloodthirsty cats this morning. Once it got out its state of paralysis, it flew into the neighbors yard.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My wife rescued a house wren from our bloodthirsty cats this morning. Once it got out its state of paralysis, it flew into the neighbors yard.
    I have a neighborhood cat picking off birds in my yard. It's really pissing me off.

When I was a teenager, a cat adopted us. When she kept chasing off the birds and our trees became infested with cicadas, we ended up taking her to the pound. BTW: unlike the eastern part of the country, we get cicadas every summer, not just every 17 years.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The various cicada broods overlap, so despite each brood's periodicity, we never get a summer when you don't hear them up in the trees when it's hot.

Speaking of cicadas, here's one on my honeysuckle from a few days ago.

I have a neighborhood cat picking off birds in my yard. It's really pissing me off.
    One customer I did a lot of work for in the past has frog ponds. The bullfrogs catch and eat the smaller birds coming down for a drink. The cat that lives in our house has brought two birds back to the house. We managed to resuscitate both birds and they flew away.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

We don't seem to have that issue with cats (that I know of), but we occasionally catch a hawk lunching on another bird, in our yard. The doves seem to be easy prey for them.

Gotta keep those cats indoors. They kill a billion birds per year. They don't hunt for food - they hunt for sport, so it's not even a survival thing. It's just bird murder.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Gotta keep those cats indoors. They kill a billion birds per year. They don't hunt for food - they hunt for sport, so it's not even a survival thing. It's just bird murder.
    We have several that are either feral or just allowed to roam in the neighborhood. Our two are never outdoors unsupervised, and I have a hard time imagining why one would behave otherwise.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Lousy phone camera zoom shot, but this was quite the majestic heron I spotted on my hike this morning. Seen them plenty of times in the marshy areas, but usually they are way out in the middle, this one was much closer to solid ground.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmP_f33sfVbi7xlpDjuPYW2Ga4Sb
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Speaking of Herons; I spotted this purple Heron a few weeks back near my home.FB_IMG_1560882741654.jpg

Blue and Silver Herons are very comon in the Netherlands. The purple Heron is rather rare and because its shy nature hard to spot. I was lucky to be able to come up this close.

I used to see purple herons in Africa. Big, majestic birds. They weren't listed as "rare" - but we rarely saw them.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I used to see purple herons in Africa. Big, majestic birds. They weren't listed as "rare" - but we rarely saw them.
    Africa has the Goliath Heron that is really a very big purple heron. I spotted this one years ago in Uganda

Amazing shot!!!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

You're right - I confused the goliath and the purple
    Regards,

Duncan

I encountered this Tricolored Heron on Nummy Island, NJ on Sunday.

TRHE.jpg
    Chad

Well, this morning a female red-wing decided she would come to me for seeds, and she wouldn't leave! Her pecking also hurt a bit - not a lot, but with the other birds you barely notice.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmP_f33sfVbi8HbZI0sz1kpYG2lj

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmP_f33sfVbi8HU4Rdzv0vmFoabt

...and one of my little downy woodpecker friends, always a favourite of mine:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmP_f33sfVbi8Hsrsx2NCgF-QIpw

... and this guy who just sat directly above me and waited for me to toss peanuts so he could swoop down and snatch them before any others could:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmP_f33sfVbi8Hk5QuZkpLRNOWsa

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I encountered this Tricolored Heron on Nummy Island, NJ on Sunday.

TRHE.jpg
    Nice.
    Are those the guys that fish with their wings out shading the water?
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

These are the two birds that sit on the electric wire over my driveway.
    Last edited by Shadow; 06-26-2019 at 09:26 AM.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post

These are the two birds that sit on the electric wire over my driveway.

We have a black crow that walks around our yard. Two other crows fly around squawking on the house roofs and trees above. I guess he can’t fly. Poor guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk