Page 28 of 86 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast

Thread: Birders

Cormorants are very destructive birds. They've destroyed the foliage of entire islands on Lake Simcoe in Ontario. A few years ago there was talk of culling them around Lake Ontario, but I don't think it was allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

This photo of a cormorant is from a local photographer:
    That's an incredible photo. I like how it's been touched up...it looks more like a painting.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I used to work on the banks of the Charles in Cambridge, and there were often cormorants out there trying to catch fish.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    That's an incredible photo. I like how it's been touched up...it looks more like a painting.
    I think she ran it through a filter. It is beautiful, though.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I've seen most of our usual spring subjects now. I saw my first red-winged blackbird today (love their song) and am awaiting my first western meadowlark.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I've seen most of our usual spring subjects now. I saw my first red-winged blackbird today
    Oh man, they're everywhere around here. It almost feels like they showed up early this year and got a head start. I've already been dive-bombed a couple of times... you can always tell by that quick, throaty chirp they do before they try to peck at your head.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    We had a pair of mallards who'd spend time in March/April swimming in the water on top of our pool cover every year for more than 20 years. Obviously not the same ones, because that's longer than their lifespan, but we didn't see any last year or the year before that. We'll see what happens this year...
    Female mallard swimming on top of the pool this AM.

Things are late here. Saw our first goldfinch yesterday, but the juncos are still around in abundance. I expect they'll head north any day now.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Oh man, they're everywhere around here. It almost feels like they showed up early this year and got a head start.
    Same here! We've had red-wings for a few weeks now. I saw my first Robin just a couple of days ago. Although we're expecting three days of rain here, so I expect to see a lot more Robins as the ground continues to thaw and the worms make their way to the surface over weekend.

I just put up a bird feeder. One of those weight closing ones to keep squirrels and bigger birds away. Works great and keeps the little bastards from eating my grass seed!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Not a bird, but quite exotic. How often does one see one of these out in the wild, let alone parked at one's townhouse complex?

"Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Here's a REAL rarity!

Bear.jpg
    Regards,

Duncan

On the backroads this morning I had a couple flocks of common tern fly over me. They're usually gone by the end of May so it's interesting to see them. I'm still waiting for the cormorants. Killdeer, coots, and mallards are so plentiful it's hard to drive a couple miles without seeing them.

In town, the northern flickers are back. They're pretty good sized. I was shocked to see our declawed cats haul one into the backyard a few years ago. I have no idea how she got that sucker down.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Here's a REAL rarity!

Bear.jpg
    Not as rare as an actual grizzly in Memphis, TN.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Ok, back to birds, knuckleheads. It's spring migration for God's sake!
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Ok, back to birds, knuckleheads. It's spring migration for God's sake!
    Are you calling me a bird brain??? Anyway, the desert southwest where I live is flyover country for bird migration.

Where are you in the southwest? I was out there last July and came home with 85 life birds. It was awesome. I'll be in Scottdale at the end of June this year for a conference.
    Chad

From Cape May County, NJ last Monday...

IMG_5328.jpg
    Prothonotary Warber

IMG_5329.jpg
    Yellow-throated Warbler

IMG_5330.jpg
    Pine Warbler
    Chad

Great shots, Chad!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Just had my first oriole sighting of the season. That unmistakable call.

I think I also caught a glimpse of a bluebird.

I was just out and saw/heard three Baltimore Orioles. I also heard a Blue-winged warbler and a Blue-headed Vireo and got eyes on a Black-and-white Warbler and several Yellow-rumped Warblers (Myrtles).

At home, for the first time, we have bluebirds in our bird box!
    Chad

Damn - I live in Orioles territory (the baseball kind! ) - yet I haven't seen one yet!

Saw a pair of bald eagles close-up on a hike on Sunday. Their nest was probably 30 feet up a tree, and I got right up to the base.
    Regards,

Duncan

Okay, this is kind of weird: Almost exactly one year after a yellow-rumped warbler banged into our living room window (I posted a picture last April), I was sitting in the same room, same time of day, and heard another thump. Another warbler. This one wasn't as badly stunned; he (she?) flew into a nearby tree, stayed a few minutes, then split. With the binoculars I was able to get enough of a look to make a tentative ID as being of the golden winged variety. Seems we're a stop-over for clumsy migrating warblers!
    David

Golden-winged?! Wow! Nice bird!

BTW, they aren't clumsy. They think it's a pass-through since they can't see the glass. Since you get frequent bird strikes, you should probably put some sort of decal on your windows.

Try these: https://www.windowalert.com
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Golden-winged?! Wow! Nice bird!

BTW, they aren't clumsy. They think it's a pass-through since they can't see the glass. Since you get frequent bird strikes, you should probably put some sort of decal on your windows.

Try these: https://www.windowalert.com
    Ha - I figured as much, but never really knew if there was anything to be done. Thanks for the link!
    David