Page 25 of 86 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast

Thread: Birders

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Interesting, but I'm from the same area you are (Lehigh Valley) and don't remember ever seeing them until Spring was close.
    I only lived in the Lehigh Valley for about 7 years. I'm from SE PA.

The robins are around in the winter. You don't see them every day. I had about 60 of them in my yard last week and I haven't seen one since.
    Chad

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    West Nile killed off a lot of the Corvidae population in the U.S. Mid Atlantic.
    We had a huge die off in the early mid aughts.
    Crows started showing up in more than ones and twos maybe 5 years ago.
    I have started seeing Blue Jays more often in the last 2 or 3.
    Yes, but I was talking about the 80s, and West Nile was first found in NA 20 years ago, and it was during the past 20-25 years that I thought I noticed an increase. Maybe I'm just imagining it. BTW, the blue jay song (not the alarm shriek) is one of my parrot's favorite things to mimic.

In the 70's we used to see massive numbers of birds flying up the potomac river, murmeration stretching for miles.
    Huge numbers of starlings roosting in the trees. Then almost nothing by the mid 80's
    The flyway moved, maybe. The flocks dwindled in size.
    I hadn't noticed a Jay decline until the 2000's.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

There is a massive decline in bird populations since the 60s and 70s. Habitat destruction is the number one factor among many. A lot of it is in their wintering grounds in South and Central America.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I only lived in the Lehigh Valley for about 7 years. I'm from SE PA.

The robins are around in the winter. You don't see them every day. I had about 60 of them in my yard last week and I haven't seen one since.
    Yes, but I'm referring to 40 years ago. Now I see them earlier than I ever did before. I've been in in Western PA since the mid-80s, so I cannot say they weren't here when I lived back east.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

So damn cold here. All I see is chickadees and doves (they never leave). Oh, and ravens. No crows, just ravens. We never used to see ravens.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

We had a visit from some turkeys in the fresh snow today.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The other day I heard a noise from a nearby tree that I'd always attributed to squirrels. I looked and I believe it was a yellow-bellied sapsucker, based on looking up info about various woodpeckers with photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    The other day I heard a noise from a nearby tree that I'd always attributed to squirrels. I looked and I believe it was a yellow-bellied sapsucker, based on looking up info about various woodpeckers with photos.
    Did it sound like a cat mewing?
    Chad

Did it sound like a cat mewing?
    No, it actually sounded more like the Acorn Woodpecker here https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/...pe/Woodpeckers but I'm not anywhere near that bird's known range, and it looked like the YBS.

So I was watching a vid of the college baseball game interrupted by an osprey losing a fish to an eagle. Went down the rabbit hole and found this video.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

That's amazing! I'd leave a box of fish in the back of my car too, if I thought I could attract a trunkful of Eagles.

An adult bald eagle flew over me on the Connecticut River today. The family nests here all winter. It was likely eyeing the hooded mergansers and eider ducks traveling home on the river.
    I love New England!
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm hearing this bird call over and over now - not sure how to describe these but to me it sounds like "Cheeew Pip Pip Pip Pip Pip Pip Pip Pip." The Cheeew sound sort of descends, and there are always about 8 or so pips after.

Probably nothing too exotic, but the bugger is sticking around making his sound for quite a while. This is in the Lower Hudson Valley of New York. Any ideas?

Northern Cardinal. They start their "laserbeam" calls in the late winter/early spring.
    Chad

Northern Cardinal. They start their "laserbeam" calls in the late winter/early spring.
    That must be it. I didn't spot this one, but he was definitely persistent! And I think I hear another.

The Merlin app doesn't have that call.

But per Merlin, the cardinal has a variety of sounds, so Merlin might not be comprehensive.
    Regards,

Duncan

Listen to call #4, for your "Cheeew" sound...

Regards,

Duncan

Merlin is cool, but it's not meant to be a true birding guide, so yes, it is not comprehensive. There is a lot of focus on the Merlin ID and Photo ID functionality in there. However, it was certainly a big help to me in Costa Rica since I could download just the Costa Rica module and have only those birds listed.

Go to eBird and listen to the second sound recording for Northern Cardinal, https://ebird.org/species/norcar

screenshot1766.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Listen to call #4, for your "Cheeew" sound...

Yeah, that's definitely the long sound from the beginning his call.

So this morning it was very surprising how suddenly a load of birds had appeared in our yard. Well, not a load but obviously the cardinals and blue jays too suddenly appeared. Then the temperature went up to 71 degrees (!), so I guess the birds knew Spring was in the air. Although it's going back down to the 40s tomorrow. But still, it's coming.

The red-winged blackbirds are making their presence known again. Spring is certainly almost here.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Grackles all over the place too.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Funny, I was just going to post the same thing. i had about 20 at my feeder this afternoon. And the tufted titmice(?) are getting pretty noisy.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Funny, I was just going to post the same thing. i had about 20 at my feeder this afternoon. And the tufted titmice(?) are getting pretty noisy.
    Interesting - I've only ever seen Grackles in the South. I've never seen one in the mid-Atlantic.
    Regards,

Duncan

^^ Really?

I see them all the time.

grackle.jpg