Page 24 of 86 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast

Thread: Birders

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Mourning Doves (MODO) and Carolina Chickadees (CACH) are here all year-round. MODO's do not migrate very much and CACH's don't migrate at all. The birds will move around to where the food is in the area. Some days I have a full feeders, other days they're empty all day. If you do have feeders up, make sure to keep them full or the birds will leave for another food source. It could take them awhile to rediscover your yard.
    The deer have no problem helping themselves at my feeder.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Always loved Snoopy's vulture impersonation!
    Chad

Robin chicks 2018.jpg

2 of 4...Robin Chicks last summer...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

440.jpg

A wintery bird for the winter season.

I photographed this chinstrap penguin a few years back on Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Whoa. That had to be an amazing trip.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    440.jpg

A wintery bird for the winter season.

What a beautiful bird and picture. Thanks for sharing.

Agreed, that is a fantastic photo! Love it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

It's strange. As the weather gets colder I'm seeing less crows and more ravens. Is this a harbinger of doom?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I did a 23-mile hike today (yeah - dumb, I know - my legs hate me!) - and although I wasn't looking too hard - cuz U wanted to finish before the sun went down - all I was aware of was crows and woodpeckers.

I passed 4 groups of birders on the trail and asked what they'd seen - and it was mostly woodpeckers.

Nothing exciting, except for a pileated (sp?) woodpecker that flew across the trail right in front of me. Beautiful in flight!
    Regards,

Duncan

For the last couple of weeks there has been a pair of Bald Eagles flying around the neighborhood.
    Not just way up, perching in local trees and flying slowly at house level.
    They are really big birds. Really beautiful.

There is a pretty substantial population in the area along the Potomac River, but mostly SE of my area.
    I haven't seen the nest as of yet. I sort of feel sorry for whoevers yard is 'chosen'.
    It can bring attention. And the nests can be kind of messy.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I love the way eagles fly, barely moving their wings
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Speaking of birds. Its penguin awareness day today!

We've had a Great Horned Owl in the woods behind my yard for a few weeks. I have not heard it yet. But my wife and daughter have.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    For the last couple of weeks there has been a pair of Bald Eagles flying around the neighborhood.
    Not just way up, perching in local trees and flying slowly at house level.
    They are really big birds. Really beautiful.
    Yep. They can take your breath away.

It's -20 C here today (-4 F in American). And our feeder was BUSY! I think the birds are trying to fill up their bellies and store fat to keep warm. Either that or yesterday's snow covered up some of their food sources.

I heard a report on NPR this morning on Bird watching and reporting and they mentioned an app that you can download on your phone which helps you identify birds. I didn't catch the apps name, does anyone know what it is?

Chad

My daughter saw robins this week in downtown Pittsburgh. There was a time when seeing the first robin was a sign of Spring. I've seen robins here in early to mid February the last few years. Times have changed.

Thanks Chad. That’s for us ignorant folks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Thanks Chad. That’s for us ignorant folks.
    Not at all! Merlin is pretty good even outside of the Photo ID feature (which is pretty awesome, but not always 100% correct). I used Merlin a lot for my trip to Costa Rica last year. I downloaded just the Costa Rica pack, so I knew that anything I looked up could be seen there. It also has the wizard feature to help you ID what you just saw based on location, date and a few attributes of the bird. Besides that, the app is free and includes photos, range maps, and sounds (calls and songs).
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    My daughter saw robins this week in downtown Pittsburgh. There was a time when seeing the first robin was a sign of Spring. I've seen robins here in early to mid February the last few years. Times have changed.
    Actually, you've changed. You're noticing more birds whether you like it or not! Not all robins migrate. Many overwinter in the Pennsylvania. The real signs of spring are birds like Wood Thrushes and warblers.
    Chad

Actually, you've changed. You're noticing more birds whether you like it or not! Not all robins migrate. Many overwinter in the Pennsylvania. The real signs of spring are birds like Wood Thrushes and warblers.
    Interesting, but I'm from the same area you are (Lehigh Valley) and don't remember ever seeing them until Spring was close.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I can remember in the 60s and 70s there were bluejays all over the place, but then I noticed sometime in the 80s that I'd hardly ever see or hear them anymore. This seemed to last for 10 years or more, but since then I've noticed them as prevalent as ever. Was this a known phenomenon?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I can remember in the 60s and 70s there were bluejays all over the place, but then I noticed sometime in the 80s that I'd hardly ever see or hear them anymore. This seemed to last for 10 years or more, but since then I've noticed them as prevalent as ever. Was this a known phenomenon?
    West Nile killed off a lot of the Corvidae population in the U.S. Mid Atlantic.
    We had a huge die off in the early mid aughts.
    Crows started showing up in more than ones and twos maybe 5 years ago.
    I have started seeing Blue Jays more often in the last 2 or 3.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain