Page 20 of 86 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Thread: Birders

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Yeah the Peterson guides are a lot of words.

Let me know if you have other questions. Besides what I know, I have a good network of fellow birders as well.
    Last edited by Nearfest2; 07-11-2018 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I have a mystery bird as well, but no photos and I didn't hear a call from inside the Family Truckster. Anyway, on Tuesday we passed a few ponds/sloughs and in a couple that had dead trees in them there were large black birds in them. I know cormorants have been reported in this state. Could that be what I was seeing?
    Well, I found that the only bird matching this description that is found in this state is indeed the double-crested cormorant. I saw some again recently and one did have its wings spread out. Apparently they do this to dry their wings after diving, they're not as waterproof as some waterfowl.

We drove across the state this week and I also saw a number of white pelicans. Man, those are some big birds.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    ...I also saw a number of white pelicans. Man, those are some big birds.
    I love watching brown pelicans fly over the ocean. They have excellent aerodynamic efficiency : The way they draft each other (which is quite common, of course), the way they use ground effect, the way they effortlessly rise over waves...
    Regards,

Duncan

Sitting on the screen porch here in CapeMayPoint, heard a bobwhite calling loudly, so I emulated his call -- the bugger came running across the lawn to investigate. What a big curious critter he is, looking all around for the source of the whistle I made. Cool.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by raconteur troubadour View Post
    Sitting on the screen porch here in CapeMayPoint, heard a bobwhite calling loudly, so I emulated his call -- the bugger came running across the lawn to investigate. What a big curious critter he is, looking all around for the source of the whistle I made. Cool.
    If Progressive Ears had a 'like' function, I'd like this post.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    If Progressive Ears had a 'like' function, I'd like this post.
    Regards,

Duncan

This female downy woodpecker wanted in on the action while I was feeding the cardinals and blue jays today. She kept coming back for more... it certainly felt weird to have her land on me, they weigh a lot more than a chickadee!

06252018-443.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Wow!

Cool!
    Regards,

Duncan

^^ That's amazing!

So, it wasn't until my neighbor mentioned it to me that I agreed that we haven't seen any Goldfinches (he calls them wild canaries) for about a month. None whatsoever. I saw a few a while back, but it has been weeks. I don't recall that ever happening, as they are usually here all season. I wonder why that could be.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    So, it wasn't until my neighbor mentioned it to me that I agreed that we haven't seen any Goldfinches (he calls them wild canaries) for about a month. None whatsoever. I saw a few a while back, but it has been weeks. I don't recall that ever happening, as they are usually here all season. I wonder why that could be.
    I don't see many in my yard but I do hear, and sometimes see, them fly over.Keep an ear out. You don't always see them perched. They're flight song is a set of three tweets and they fly in a repeated swooping pattern. The tweets are heard as they flap their wings to begin the next swoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    This female downy woodpecker wanted in on the action while I was feeding the cardinals and blue jays today. She kept coming back for more... it certainly felt weird to have her land on me, they weigh a lot more than a chickadee!
    Outstanding! I've never held a live bird. So cool!
    Chad

Yeah, it was noteworthy to have a woodpecker land on my hand. Around here, the black-capped chickadees do it all the time if you hold your hand outstretched (even if you don't have seeds, they'll still check it out for a second or two), but that was the first time I've ever had any other type of wild bird land on me. And she came back about a dozen times! I was hoping the cardinals and blue jays would take the hint but they wouldn't. They hung out close by though, especially once I started tossing some seeds and nuts their way. The female northern cardinal kept her distance a bit more though. She's a beautiful bird in her own right, despite the lack of striking red and black.

And although I do not have the camera equipment some of you do (I just bring my phone on my hikes), I thought you might like to see this beautiful mute swan who was gliding by as I passed the pond - no zoom necessary. He was fully aware of me, but couldn't have been less interested. The second (poor quality) photo is moments earlier when he was being attacked by a red-winged blackbird.

06122018-389.jpg

06122018-384.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The female northern cardinal kept her distance a bit more though. She's a beautiful bird in her own right, despite the lack of striking red and black.
    One of my favorites! I absolutely LOVE the coloring. That red beak! I also get a kick out of watching the male court her. She'll linger on a fence, while he picks up seeds and flies over to feed her.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Those Mute Swans are very destructive. Until ducks that eat the leaves of the water plants, the swans pull them out by the roots. Too many in one area and they can do a lot of damage.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Those Mute Swans are very destructive. Until ducks that eat the leaves of the water plants, the swans pull them out by the roots. Too many in one area and they can do a lot of damage.
    They certainly bully their way around, and cause quite a scene, splashing around with their powerful wings. This one didn't care at all about the blackbird attack, he just ignored it. There are tons of Canada geese around here too, and a fully grown mute swan will take on several of them at once. In fact, they are even used to control the geese!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ That's amazing!

They certainly bully their way around, and cause quite a scene, splashing around with their powerful wings. This one didn't care at all about the blackbird attack, he just ignored it. There are tons of Canada geese around here too, and a fully grown mute swan will take on several of them at once. In fact, they are even used to control the geese!
    Bless you for saying "Canada geese" instead of 'Canadian geese'. Most people get that wrong!

Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Bless you for saying "Canada geese" instead of 'Canadian geese'. Most people get that wrong!

That's really cool! I'm going to have to try that. Those little woodpeckers are pretty brave little creatures. They are regulars at our feeder and I can get pretty close to them, often within a couple of feet, before they fly away.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac
    That's interesting. We get lots of them and I can't say that I've noticed a decline in our neck of the woods. Want me to send some your way?

Has there been a lot of urban development around you? I live in an area that has grown significantly over the last several years and I've noticed it affect certain birds and animals. We see a lot fewer Blue Jays now, but a lot of Red Wing Blackbirds at our feeder. There was a time when we only saw Red Wings in neighbouring fields. They aren't usually feeder birds, but now we see them at our feeder almost daily. We also have a lot more mammal wildlife in our yard as the naturalized areas around us get smaller and smaller. We have lots of rabbits and skunks, and even had a red fox hanging around our house for a few days last summer (god, it was beautiful! I was sad when it moved on).

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Has there been a lot of urban development around you? I live in an area that has grown significantly over the last several years and I've noticed it affect certain birds and animals. We see a lot fewer Blue Jays now, but a lot of Red Wing Blackbirds at our feeder. There was a time when we only saw Red Wings in neighbouring fields. They aren't usually feeder birds, but now we see them at our feeder almost daily. We also have a lot more mammal wildlife in our yard as the naturalized areas around us get smaller and smaller. We have lots of rabbits and skunks, and even had a red fox hanging around our house for a few days last summer (god, it was beautiful! I was sad when it moved on).
    No more development than usual, which is a lot.

Indeed, our fine furry friends have lost a ton of space. When we moved here in the early 90s, it was a major event when you saw one deer in the yard. Now it's every day and we have seen herds of about 20 more than once.

But, nothing has changed since last year when the goldfinches were in abundance.

I'll second that!
    Chad

Ever since we started the process to legalize pot, everyone wants to be Canadian! Even the geese.

I don't think Canadians usually get that one wrong.

Heading out to SE Arizona on Thursday for week of desert and canyon birding. Can't wait!
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Heading out to SE Arizona on Thursday for week of desert and canyon birding. Can't wait!
    Enjoy!

Last week I went hiking and was hand-feeding the birds once again. This time I had a female red-winged blackbird attempt to land on my hand twice, but she thought better of it after a split second and landed a foot or two away, waiting for some seeds. Something about the feel of landing on my hand must have spooked her, or just didn't feel right somehow. I was surprised she even tried! So I left some seeds for her:

frw.jpg

... they are so much easier-going than the males.

On my way back, I came across a juvenile robin who was cheeping loudly and hanging around me, it almost seemed like he wanted protection or something. It was quite strange, I've never had a bird I wasn't feeding stick around so close for so long. At first I was concerned he was injured, but he didn't appear to be.

Other than that, just the usual blue jays, cardinals, and the ever-present chickadees who were boldly hovering around in front of me like hummingbirds, waiting for me to stick my hand out. Good thing I brought a big bag of seeds! It's funny how they won't land on me two at a time. If one is on my hand, the others wait their turn.

I'm going to have to try that. We have sooo many chickadees.

Went for a hike this morning even though it was warmer than I usually prefer. So I present to you... the return of my downy woodpecker buddy!

cd3.jpg

...and a chickadee photo as well that got attached to this post somehow and I can't edit out of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Robins nest under our deck. Watched 3 baby birds grow and all 3 flew the nest yesterday. Wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk