Page 16 of 86 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Thread: Birders

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Pretty bird. I've never seen one.
    There’s a part of our park where there are ocean-front cabins you can rent. I see these down there all the time. They are really beautiful birds and I love them. I’m glad they are plentiful down there; usually they are shy and hard to see.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Pretty bird. I've never seen one.
    First time I saw one, I mistook it for a robin, because the orange is identical and you don't immediately notice the white until they start flying. What's really weird is that I could hear his tail feathers rubbing against each other when he did fly. They almost sounded like they were made of paper.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Right now the woodpecker crew in my neighborhood is banging away on the loudest spots they can find. Gotta stake out territory and good nest holes.
    I have the opposite situation in my townhouse complex...beautiful, not annoying. There are several mockingbird nests high up in trees. When I go to check my mail around 6:00 in the evening, I'm serenaded by song. Guess I won't have to buy any babies any diamond rings.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Had a first-for-me sighting today as the result of a near-tragedy: a yellow-rumped warbler flew into one of our deck windows. He was stunned, but clearly breathing and moving around, and before he flew away I was able to get close enough that even my crappy iPhone camera could capture a decent shot. Cute little guy. My bird ID app says they're only here in passing, so I was glad he hit a little bump in the road, and then was back on his way.
    IMG_1151.jpg
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Whoa! I just watched a Pileated Woodpecker in my yard. I first heard the call and then he swooped down to knock on a couple of dead tree stumps I have. I called my wife and daughter to check it out. We all got a great look at him from about 25 yards. At first glance I thought it was a red-headed (shame on me), but the size was huge. He was maybe 16-18 inches head to tail. I looked up the Red-headed calls and they were nothing like what I heard, and I realized that bird is too small for what I saw. So, I pulled out my book, identified it as the Pileated and the calls I found online matched what I heard.

EDIT, more like 14" after visiting the spot.

If you go to this link and listen tot he Fast wuk series calls, that's what I heard.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/...dpecker/sounds
    Last edited by ronmac; 04-22-2018 at 06:11 PM.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Saw one of these yesterday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-shouldered_kite

And a flock of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadada_ibis

And no, you won't see these in your back yard - I'm out-of-country right now
    Regards,

Duncan

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Had a first-for-me sighting today as the result of a near-tragedy: a yellow-rumped warbler flew into one of our deck windows. He was stunned, but clearly breathing and moving around, and before he flew away I was able to get close enough that even my crappy iPhone camera could capture a decent shot. Cute little guy. My bird ID app says they're only here in passing, so I was glad he hit a little bump in the road, and then was back on his way.
    IMG_1151.jpg
    Myrtle subspecies to be exact. Nice rescue!
    Chad

Banned
    Been in Central Florida and here are a few photos of the Brandt Comorant

Banned
    And the blue herons:

Banned
    Marsh hen

Banned

Birders

Speaking of Ibis’
    Last edited by Firth; 04-26-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Banned
    Scarlet Tanager -

Banned

Birders

Sand hill Cranes -

Blue Herons have to be one of the coolest birds ever, IMO. We have quite a few of them around here, but mostly I see them flying, not on the ground.

Blue Herons have to be one of the coolest birds ever, IMO. We have quite a few of them around here, but mostly I see them flying, not on the ground.
    We have a pond at the end of our street where you'll occasionally see one. But, man, when they fly over head, they're majestic.

If you look carefully, you'll see one that I captured in a shot at the same pond. It's near the middle of this photo.

heron.jpg

It's my understanding that they tend to be loners.

We had a Red-bellied Woodpecker (female) sighting in our backyard not ten minutes ago!!!

This is first for us. We get lot's of Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers at our feeder, but we're a bit north for the Red-bellied to be common. I hope to see her again.

We had a Red-bellied Woodpecker (female) sighting in our backyard not ten minutes ago!!!

This is first for us. We get lot's of Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers at our feeder, but we're a bit north for the Red-bellied to be common. I hope to see her again.
    That's the one I see more often than any others in these parts.. I heard one tonight. I also hear the Pileated again not far from my house.

While not an uncommon bird at all, I stumbled upon this shot of a grackle that I took several years ago.

grackle.jpg

Holy cow. Another first sighting just now. A white-throated sparrow was just pecking at the seeds on the ground under our feeder. It's been a good week for birds at our feeder!

Still out-of-country, and here are a few pics I managed to snag in the last few days.

(Sorry that these are just thumbnails - but click on them to view a medium-sized version of the original pic.)

Grey heron. (Similar to the US's blue heron.)

IMG_3014.jpg

Southerm yellow hornbill

IMG_3064.jpg

Southerm yellow hornbill

IMG_3084.jpg

And a baby red-eyed dove that we rescued, and took to a bird rescue sanctuary.

IMG_3096.jpg
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Still out-of-country, and here are a few pics I managed to snag in the last few days.

(Sorry that these are just thumbnails - but click on them to view a medium-sized version of the original pic.)

Grey heron. (Similar to the US's blue heron.)

IMG_3014.jpg

Southerm yellow hornbill

IMG_3064.jpg

Southerm yellow hornbill

IMG_3084.jpg

And a baby red-eyed dove that we rescued, and took to a bird rescue sanctuary.

IMG_3096.jpg
    Cool! Where are you, Duncan?

That yellow hornbill looks like he could do some serious damage with that bill!

That yellow hornbill looks like he could do some serious damage with that bill!
    He must be a doctor. Of course, unlike a doctor, he can stick his bill up his ass.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Cool! Where are you, Duncan?
    Traveling through southern Africa
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Traveling through southern Africa
    Nice.

Had really nice color in the back yard yesterday: Cardinals, Blue Jays, Goldfinch, and a pair of rose-breasted Grosbeak. I love spring!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.