Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: PROGTOBERFEST III IN CHICAGO

I agree that this was a truly impressive and enjoyable line-up. Progger, Lost World Band, Echoes of Giants, and Five of the Eyes were the biggest “pleasant surprises” for me. I had high expectations for District 97, Karmakanic, Discipline, Aisles, Alphonso Johnson, Cast, Mike Keneally, Thank You Scientist, and Martin Barre, and they all delivered! Schooltree suffered from a bad mix and some early jitters, but their set was still enjoyable, and I wound up buying the new double disc rock opera, Heterotopia. There really wasn’t a disappointing band in the entire line-up! Progtoberfest III was the best one yet, so I’m really looking forward to next year’s incarnation!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Ha, absolutely. And they are an awesome instrumental fusion band, with a leader who is very good on both tenor sax and keys, and members from Texas, New York and other places. All the players in the band are highly skilled. In some ways, a heavier Snarky Puppy.

neil
    What is the top keyboard that the leader (sax player) is playing? Minimoog? Sounds/looks maybe like something else, but I don't really know that stuff at all. Good music!

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Ha, absolutely. And they are an awesome instrumental fusion band, with a leader who is very good on both tenor sax and keys, and members from Texas, New York and other places. All the players in the band are highly skilled. In some ways, a heavier Snarky Puppy.

neil
    Wow, thanks for that, really excellent. Love the composition, sounds, and soloing. A very strong connection to Snarky Puppy indeed, and I see they're on the same label (Ropeadope) as many other SP-connected folks.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What is the top keyboard that the leader (sax player) is playing? Minimoog? Sounds/looks maybe like something else, but I don't really know that stuff at all. Good music!
    It's a MicroKorg.

Glad some folks here are digging it. They tour a lot, at least in Toronto playing small-mid size jazz clubs. Like SP, the line-up changes from time-to-time, but Brian Donohoe on Sax/Keys is a mainstay.

neil