Thread: After Crying Overground Music random comments

After Crying Overground Music random comments

Good Day Folks...

With a 'Nor'easter' dumping snow out my window, and an odd mid-afternoon listening session, I grabbed some After Crying (Overground Music) to keep me company while disassembling paper egg cartons to use as seed starters. Some random thoughts:

Having 'most' of the After Crying releases... this is the one that I seem to favor. My memory suggests that I purchased this before their performance at an earlier year Nearfest. THAT was one memorable show indeed!

My cd is a Hungarian release and sounds rather fantastic on my reasonable system.

If one were to really enjoy the 'prog cello'... this release has some fine examples.

Looking at the cd notes - the original release seems to be in 1993. Almost 25 years ago... REALLY???? The time does fly by!

I have always wanted another release by AC in this vein. Their output and style did change somewhat and I only enjoy them slightly less in regard.

The female vocal (some of it just breathing) on the last track, to me, is as erotic as can be!

Anybody have some current information about the band in whole... or the musicians that were part?

Carry On
    Chris Buckley
    Last edited by winkersnufs; 03-14-2017 at 04:10 PM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I love After Crying's music. My favourite AC album (some of the best music I have ever heard). I own everything but, as I mentioned, this is my favourite:

Last edited by mozo-pg; 03-14-2017 at 05:24 PM.

After Crying's Facebook pages lists a concert from last summer (2016):

JUN
    After Crying koncert - Budapest, Hegyvidéki Napok

They are on my bucket list of bands I hope to one day see live.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    After Crying's Facebook pages lists a concert from last summer (2016):

JUN
    After Crying koncert - Budapest, Hegyvidéki Napok

They are on my bucket list of bands I hope to one day see live.
    Me too, and one of the very few bands that would have me questioning my decision to cut back a lot on my running about the country for music

Mega es Megs cd is out of print, and I feel lucky to have gotten mine before that happened, as it's also my #1 AC album.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I love "Shinin'" which I first heard on "Almost Pure Instrumental", their compilation album that I bought before their Nearfest performance. The vocalist on the song is Judit Andrejski, who I think is married to the bassist/cellist, Péter Pejtsik. I really like the group, although I didn't get into their Nearfest performance that much. My recollection is that many of the songs played there later appeared in slightly different forms on "Show", which isn't my favorite album. That said, I really enjoyed their 25th anniversary album, "XXV", which features a terrific performance DVD with an orchestra.

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but was Meredith Monk credited for "the little hero"? If not, then its one of the most blatant cases of plagiarism-

https://youtu.be/tTXZXc3AmDc

https://youtu.be/7su7d76LhWg

That's quite an accusation to throw around - because there is chanting in the second clip doesn't make it plagiarism. The music/instrumentation is unique.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Me too, and one of the very few bands that would have me questioning my decision to cut back a lot on my running about the country for music

Mega es Megs cd is out of print, and I feel lucky to have gotten mine before that happened, as it's also my #1 AC album.
    I didn't know it was out of print -you'd have to pry it from my dead hands. Glad it's a favourite too.

As for the album Show, I did like the opening track, "New World Coming". The Dvorak samples were skillfully done and the whole song is quite epic in feel. The rest of the album didn't live up to the opener.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

After Crying is a band I've always meant to explore more of. I loved Péter Pejtsik contributions on the Tempano album Childhood's End: El Fin De La Infancia

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    That's quite an accusation to throw around - because there is chanting in the second clip doesn't make it plagiarism. The music/instrumentation is unique.
    I was not familiar with Meredith Monk work before but surely that vocal passage, style, is virtually identical. Saying all that I would agree that composition vise they are completely different songs and the only connection is chanting style.

So it gets down what is plagiarism?

If you look for instance Zeuhl, many compositions between different bands use very similar chanted vocalization. In many ways it is a signature of the style. Does it mean that some of the "other" Zauhl bands plagiarized Magma? I do not like to think so.