Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Who - Vegas residency

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Frankly would rather see Pete solo acoustic/electric in theaters than this ongoing money grab. Would spend a bit for this type of tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Hooligans? That was the first place I had heard "Join Together", "Relay", and "Let's See Action"
    Love Hooligans... served as my introduction to The Who. Was able to get a nice copy on vinyl recently.

Funnily enough I thought the acoustic Roger/Pete songs on Endless Wire turned out to be the highlights, as they were a different direction for them (and technically speaking, reflected the reality of the situation!). 'Tea And Theatre' worked really well on the live clips I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    Frankly would rather see Pete solo acoustic/electric in theaters than this ongoing money grab. Would spend a bit for this type of tour.
    I'm actually inclined to agree. Do they still have Pino potted down in the mix? When I saw them back in 2003 (right after Thunderfingers went home) that's the way it was, and each time I've seen them on TV since then, also seems to be the case. That roaring bass is part of the band's sound. Potting down the bass in The Who is like potting down the lead guitar or lead vocals.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    I live in Vegas and have been a Who fan forever. However, at $200 or more for good seats, I'll pass. This is normal, though. The big strip resorts have priced the locals out of the market for entertainment.
    Speaking of Vegas, where has TheLoony gotten to? He lives in Vegas but hasn't chimed in on this. I remember he disappeared for a while once before. Hope everything is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Funnily enough I thought the acoustic Roger/Pete songs on Endless Wire turned out to be the highlights, as they were a different direction for them (and technically speaking, reflected the reality of the situation!). 'Tea And Theatre' worked really well on the live clips I saw.
    I would agree. “Endless Wire” was a huge disappointment for me, but I also think the acoustic songs worked the best. I saw them on the tour and they closed the show with “Tea And Theater” and it was quite moving.

FWIW, the $500 tickets are sold out!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Real life Richards and Watts look older than in that painting.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Speaking of Vegas, where has TheLoony gotten to? He lives in Vegas but hasn't chimed in on this. I remember he disappeared for a while once before. Hope everything is ok.
    I'm not dead yet, Fred. A power outage screwed my computer up and it's better after getting fixed but still not quite alright. Anyway, it also took me a couple of weeks to pull up PE and start reading again and I haven't found anything interesting to say so why say something uninteresting? I've done that enough already.

I've never had the chance to see The Who except, IIRC, the show that was supposed to happen at the Hard Rock but The Ox unfortunately passed away before it happened.

I might have thought of checking this out but there are other shows here coming up I wanna see. Some small festival, I forget when and where, will have Magma on the bill and since PE waxes rhapsodically(spell check says I have that word wrong - I'm not sure and too lazy to look it up) about them. I've looked Magma up on Wiki to get their story but never heard a lick as I have no clue where to start and after 40 years or so of music that's a daunting task. I'd like to check that out and Los Rageous fest with Anthrax, Coheed and Cambria and some other cool bands might be on the itinerary also. Plus there's Iron Maiden coming back so I might have to do that again as they are kinda old. Not nearly as old as The Who so I'm missing a chance to see legends I haven't seen and might not ever, after this, have the chance to see but I'm not a huge fan of The Who. I've seen the Quadrophenia movie, once, about 35 years ago and never even heard the album, ever. I do own a record of Live at Leeds but it's very messed up - it was a found album I held on to - and nothing else. I'm somewhat clueless about their music.

I'll have to figure out what I want to spend my money on. TBH this thread that I just started reading is the first I had heard of this. Not a word in any of the local rags about them playing here.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Even as the Two, Roger and Pete delivered a stellar performance, with a huge supporting band, of Quadrophenia a few years back. One of my all time favourite albums and they did it full justice.

Would I go in Los Vegas? In a flash.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I've looked Magma up on Wiki to get their story but never heard a lick as I have no clue where to start and after 40 years or so of music that's a daunting task..
    Go to Youtube and look for Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh and Kohntarkosz. Oh yeah, and Theusz Hamtaahk, and Kohntarkosz Anteria.

As for The Who, you should give The Who Sell Out, Who's Next, The Who By Numbers, and Who Are You a listen. You also need a good singles collection, bcause during the 60's and early 70's, they had a lot of non-album tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I would pay more than $200 to see The Who, if Keith & Ox could be exhumed & resurrected, that is.

$75 tops for the current lineup.
    The Who have just been announced for an arena in Grand Rapids MI this summer (about 45 minutes from my house). Ticket prices range from $39, $59, $82, $139. Quite reasonable I would say, and this is a relatively small arena too (holds around 12,000).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Tangential, but the other day I heard the Townshend song Give Blood (on Sirius XM), and I was awed at how good Pino Palladino's bass is on that (I just had to look up who it was because there are several great bass players on that album). Really standout, IMO. A great song and a very good album too, IMO. Sold my vinyl long ago, need to see if it's on Spotify...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Tangential, but the other day I heard the Townshend song Give Blood (on Sirius XM), and I was awed at how good Pino Palladino's bass is on that
    Yeah, Pino's really a great player, something you'd never know from listening to him play with The Who. He played in Paul Young's band back in the 80's (that's him on songs like Every Time You Go Away and I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down), as well as on Gary Numan's I, Assassin album, and also David Gilmour's About Face, and probably about a million other sessions.

On the Gilmour record in particular, there's one song (Until We Sleep) where they used a Fairlight for the bass line, but all the other songs, it's Pino's fretless bass you hear. In particular, on the song Murder, there's a great bass solo which is well worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The Who have just been announced for an arena in Grand Rapids MI this summer (about 45 minutes from my house). Ticket prices range from $39, $59, $82, $139. Quite reasonable I would say, and this is a relatively small arena too (holds around 12,000).
    A few more shows have been added -

Sun 07/16/17 Canandaigua, NY - Constellation Brands - Marvin Sands PAC (CMAC)
    Tue 07/18/17 Oxon Hill, MD - Theater At MGM National Harbor
    Sat 07/22/17 Atlantic City, NJ - City Boardwalk Hall
    Tue 07/25/17 Grand Rapids, MI Van Andel Arena
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    A few more shows have been added -

Sun 07/16/17 Canandaigua, NY - Constellation Brands - Marvin Sands PAC (CMAC)
    Tue 07/18/17 Oxon Hill, MD - Theater At MGM National Harbor
    Sat 07/22/17 Atlantic City, NJ - City Boardwalk Hall
    Tue 07/25/17 Grand Rapids, MI Van Andel Arena
    Just got tickets for the Grand Rapids show this morning. Although I realize the band are not what they once were, I figure this is my last chance to see them again, so going for it. I went with the $82 seats and got lower bowl in the corner. As mentioned earlier this is a relatively small arena so should be good seats.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    One wonders if that's why By Numbers doesn't have much of a reputation really, there was only that one hit and they barely touched it live so the songs never really had much of a life beyond the album itself.
    When By Numbers came out, the critic for the Los Angeles Times--probably Robert Hilburn, or possibly Richard Cromelin--wrote a feature review that absolutely praised the hell out of "Imagine a Man." It predisposed me to think of that as the central song on the album, but no one ever mentions it.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    When By Numbers came out, the critic for the Los Angeles Times--probably Robert Hilburn, or possibly Richard Cromelin--wrote a feature review that absolutely praised the hell out of "Imagine a Man." It predisposed me to think of that as the central song on the album, but no one ever mentions it.
    I personally did not care for the Who after that album. I think Imagine A Man is their second best ballad (after Behind Blue Eyes), and is certainly an excellent song. I agree that it didn't get much notice ottherwise. I think it was on the Maximum RNB box though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    I personally did not care for the Who after that album. I think Imagine A Man is their second best ballad (after Behind Blue Eyes), and is certainly an excellent song. I agree that it didn't get much notice ottherwise. I think it was on the Maximum RNB box though.
    "When my fist clenches crack it open". Probably should call it a semi-ballad, Keith.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    I think that album was also a decline from what they'd done before. I think its low-key nature means that it undoubtedly pales compared with their previous work, IMHO. It's still a decent enough album but the previous albums had been classic (going back to at least The Who Sell Out).