Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Update on the Official Keith Emerson Tribute Concert DVD

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    I'm confused; I thought that you were maybe talking about the HD digital download, which I don't think is available yet., But you mention DVD. DVDs are standard definition (480p in NTSC or PAL), but you mention 1080p/60Hz which is an HD resolution. Is your TV or DVD player simply upscaling the standard definition content?
    Correct, I had the player upscaling which was not optimum, the upscaling should have been done in my receiver which has the same chip as an Oppo has. My bigger issue is the sound on the DVD. I have now listened to the CD too which is 44.1 KHz 16 bit, like normal, but lossless at 1.4 Mbps as compared to the DVD at .192 Mbps. Clearly the bass is deeper and more dynamic on the CD. If the HD download also includes better audio, that would be great.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I'm holding out for the HD download, but if it's delayed much longer, I'll buy the DVD/CD set. I agree with you that a Bluray release (even without the CDs) would have been nice.

After watching the DVD all the way I'm wondering what took almost 5 years after the event to put the release out? It's just a basic production of decent length. No fast edits or special effects. Best part for me was on DVD 2 where Mari talks about how she met Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by RandallB View Post
    After watching the DVD all the way I'm wondering what took almost 5 years after the event to put the release out? It's just a basic production of decent length. No fast edits or special effects. Best part for me was on DVD 2 where Mari talks about how she met Keith.
    I thought it had to do with rights and licensing -- maybe also negotiations with the label?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by RandallB View Post
    It had nothing to do with production, there were a plethora of legal issues to get clearance for the performance of a number of artists.
    Mari has been on Dave Kerzner's Facebook page at various times, and without getting into specifics, voiced how frustrating it was for the release to be held up so long.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

Got this Bonilla one few days ago. Quite good! Haven't watched the dvd's yet.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

When listening to the release live stream, Marc seemed to emphasize that the main reason for taking so long was their decision to pass on all profits to charity, which apparently made a lot of labels hesitate to pick up the ball.
    τί ἐστιν ὃ μίαν ἔχον φωνὴν τετράπουν καὶ δίπουν καὶ τρίπουν γίνεται;

εἰσί κασίγνηται δισσαὶ, ὠν ἡ μία τίκτει
    τὴν ἑτέραν αὐτὴ δέ τεκοῦσ` ὑπό τὴσδη τεκνούται
    τίς δὲ κασίγνηται δύο;

For those interested... I just found out that prints (and a ton of other stuff) of the cover art is available at:

https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/...lleryid=962979

Looks like the high definition digital download is now available at https://fanfarefortheuncommonman.com/

You made my day! The price isn't too bad (US$15.95) and one gets the concert and special features. I just downloaded it. It's a very nice quality 1080p MP4 file, weighing in at around 7.6GB.

Beware: the download link email ended up in my spam folder.

I've just begun watching it. The photo montage at the beginning was wonderful, lots of unseen pictures. It makes me so mad that we lost this man. The concert is so far massively exceeding my expectations. These folks really poured their hearts out.
    Last edited by jefftiger; 5 Days Ago at 09:08 PM.

You made my day! The price isn't too bad (US$15.95) and one gets the concert and special features. I just downloaded it. It's a very nice quality 1080p MP4 file, weighing in at around 7.6GB.

Beware: the download link email ended up in my spam folder.

I've just begun watching it. The photo montage at the beginning was wonderful, lots of unseen pictures. It makes me so mad that we lost this man. The concert is so far massively exceeding my expectations. These folks really poured their hearts out.
    Yeah, that's not a bad price and all proceeds go to the Dystonia Medical Research Foundation. BTW you can download it right from the page after you finish checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by rminsk View Post
    Looks like the high definition digital download is now available at https://fanfarefortheuncommonman.com/
    Thanks.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

This was a blast from start to end. The amount of talent on the stage during these 2+ hours is staggering. I didn't know how good some of these people were: Steve Porcaro on keyboards during The Barbarian, the guitar duel during Hoedown (Mike Wallace - what an amazing stage presence!), Rachel Flowers, C.J. Vanston, and everyone else. This was an amazing show. I envy those who saw it live.

Steve Porcaro on keyboards during The Barbarian
    I've heard a lot of sounds from a Hammond organ but I have never heard one growl like that after Rachel's piano section.

the guitar duel during Hoedown (Mike Wallace - what an amazing stage presence!)
    I think Mike Wallace and Marc Bonilla got "Skunked" during that battle.

I envy those who saw it live.
    They have probably cut out a half hour of applause to get the video down to two and a half hours. The energy from the crowd and the musicians was incredible. Everyone was so friendly that night. It was what everyone wanted, a bunch of musicians playing their hearts out and celebrating Keith. There was not a flaw to be spotted and at most they had one rehearsal and one run through. Marc, Mari, the musicians, and the crew made it the most memorable show I have ever attended.
    Last edited by rminsk; 4 Days Ago at 02:12 AM.

It arrived today, so probably I will play the CDs tomorrow. Don't know when I spin the DVDs, because I also still need to watch a DVD by Robert Jan Stips, playing Supersister on 3 pianos.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I'm holding out for the HD download, but if it's delayed much longer, I'll buy the DVD/CD set. I agree with you that a Bluray release (even without the CDs) would have been nice.
    I was fortunate to be present at this show, one of the most wonderful experiences of my life.
    As I entered the El Rey theater, I immediately noticed the cameras on each side of the stage (there were also more onstage) although I am not a photography expert but I can recognize a High Definition camera and these were not.
    HD cameras are much larger and require heavier rigs, these were on tripods but seemed like the ones carried around by news anchor cameramen.

But I do agree, it would have been much nicer to have a BluRay release even by itself. All those so called "BluRay" of concerts that were filmed in standard definition (back in the 80s-90s) and now labeled as BluRay are a scam and a money grabber, they really are not BR.

The artwork lithographs and merchandise offered by Jerry Lofaro are extraordinary and worth the price, great stuff!

One last thing, some have said that the five year delay was due to artists rights and management disputes, that is wrong - this was a benefit event and all proceeds will go to the Foundation that was selected by Keith's family.
    As it reads on the DVD label: All proceeds from the DVD will be donated to the Keith Emerson Fund at the Dystonia Medical Research Foundation
    Last edited by Rajaz; 1 Day Ago at 12:37 PM. Reason: edit
    Keith Emerson - Bayou place May 2010 - Tribute Concert El Rey Los Angeles May 2016
    Pink Floyd - Olympic Stadium, July 77 - Yankee Stadium, NY Jun 94
    Jethro Tull - Montreal Forum, Jun 73 - LA Forum, Nov 78
    Rush - Montreal Forum, July 84 - Toyota Ctr, Houston, TX May 2015
    Genesis - Montreal Forum, December 74 - Pepsi Arena, Denver Oct 2007
    King Crimson - Spectrum Montreal, July 84 - Videotron Ctr Quebec July 2017
    UK & IQ at Progstock Festival - UCPAC Center - Rahway NJ - Oct 2018-19

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    I was fortunate to be present at this show, one of the most wonderful experiences of my life.
    As I entered the El Rey theater, I immediately noticed the cameras on each side of the stage (there were also more onstage) although I am not a photography expert but I can recognize a High Definition camera and these were not.
    HD cameras are much larger and require heavier rigs, these were on tripods but seemed like the ones carried around by news anchor cameramen.

But I do agree, it would have been much nicer to have a BluRay release even by itself. All those so called "BluRay" of concerts that were filmed in standard definition (back in the 80s-90s) and now labeled as BluRay are a scam and a money grabber, they really are not BR.

The artwork lithographs and merchandise offered by Jerry Lofaro are extraordinary and worth the price, great stuff!

One last thing, some have said that the five year delay was due to artists rights and management disputes, that is wrong - this was a benefit event and all proceeds will go to the Foundation that was selected by Keith's family.
    As it reads on the DVD label: All proceeds from the DVD will be donated to the Keith Emerson Fund at the Dystonia Medical Research Foundation
    Sorry, but nowadays you can film even in 8k with a 5 inches camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    Sorry, but nowadays you can film even in 8k with a 5 inches camera.
    You are excused. But that is not professional quality.

Wrong, how many concerts uses GoPro and similar to film and put it on Blu-ray with outstanding quality?

If I remember right they were Sony professional digital cameras in the audience. It may not be this model but something similar. https://pro.sony/ue_US/products/digi...cameras/pmw-f5