Thread: What are some good quality inexpensive storage containers for vinyl LPs?

What are some good quality inexpensive storage containers for vinyl LPs?

My vinyl collection is outgrowing the storage containers I've had for over 30 years. I see all sorts of containers on Amazon and other sites, but I have no idea what are decent quality at inexpensive prices.

Does anyone have suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance. 😊

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Laura

Milk crates!

But seriously, I just build my own out of plywood, Masonite and finishing nails.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Milk crates!

But seriously, I just build my own out of plywood, Masonite and finishing nails.
    They're actually not that hard to make and inexpensive also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Container Store has a taller variation on a milk crate that is designed to hold albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Milk crates!

I did use milk crates at one time. They're not tall enough though.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    The Container Store has a taller variation on a milk crate that is designed to hold albums.
    Thanks! I ordered the ones from The Container Store.
    Last edited by lak611; 03-13-2017 at 12:34 AM.
    Laura

The thing I never liked about milk crates and similar static-size containers is that they're very hard to provide even and consistent pressure to the LPs. I like wall shelves because they're dead easy to build (1x12 pine boards + screws) and you can load as many LPs as it takes, between the uprights, to keep them firm and flat and warp-free.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    The thing I never liked about milk crates and similar static-size containers is that they're very hard to provide even and consistent pressure to the LPs. I like wall shelves because they're dead easy to build (1x12 pine boards + screws) and you can load as many LPs as it takes, between the uprights, to keep them firm and flat and warp-free.
    That makes sense. I will have enough LPs to fill up the crates to keep the records relatively flat. I'live in an apartment and don't own any tools other than Torx screwdrivers, so building my own containers isn't really possible

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

When I lived in apartments, I built temporary (not attached) shelves using 1x12s and concrete bricks. No tools required.

Walmart & Michael's (art & hobby store) have milk crates.

Ikea Kallax series , 6, 9, or 12 cubes , every cube can get about 80 to 100 lps and you can put them vertical or horizontal , several colours. Nice looking and functional

matty_records-final-1600-1.jpg
    Last edited by alucard; 03-13-2017 at 10:27 AM.

Back in the day we live close to an apple orchard thus plenty of apple crates at our disposal.. Then I started working in the F&B operation at a local resort and had access to the original metal milk crates (which were larger than the plastic ones available now)which I ended up with at least 20 of them to hold my collection (@ that point I owned well over a thousand vinyl, somewhere I have a photo of my "wall" of milk crates).. Like others once I bought a house I build a permanent storage unit using 2x12's

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Ikea Kallax series , 6, 9, or 12 cubes , every cube can get about 80 to 100 lps and you can put them vertical or horizontal , several colours. Nice looking and functional

Yep!

The Ikea Kallax are the best, inexpensive storage.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Yup, even guys on the Hoffman forum with massive systems swear by the Kallax
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Can anyone who has a Kallax and an Expedit say what the differences are?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Yup, even guys on the Hoffman forum with massive systems swear by the Kallax
    Now *THAT* is certainly a recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Can anyone who has a Kallax and an Expedit say what the differences are?
    Are these items online?

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Are these items online?

They're sold in IKEA stores and at their website, but I'd have to think the shipping would be prohibitive, as they are rather large. I bought my Expedit(s) in Detroit.

The Kallax replaced the Expedit, but I don't know what the actual difference is.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    They're sold in IKEA stores and at their website, but I'd have to think the shipping would be prohibitive, as they are rather large. I bought my Expedit(s) in Detroit.

The Kallax replaced the Expedit, but I don't know what the actual difference is.
    They used a bit less wood on the new Kallax series, Ikea said they were a "better version" some record fans were concerned , but honestly unless you put heavy metal in them I don't see how they could bend. I bought the last unit quite cheap on a neighborhood based used items site to avoid shipping costs.

They used a bit less wood on the new Kallax series, Ikea said they were a "better version" some record fans were concerned , but honestly unless you put heavy metal in them I don't see how they could bend. I bought the last unit quite cheap on a neighborhood based used items site to avoid shipping costs.
    good one, Martin.

How about some Panzerballet albums... Corrosive enough for wood damage
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

LPs should be ripped to lossless and stored in a locker anyway.

Oh, man- thank you for this thread. I am moving, and I have to move 2500 LPs. And I have only old and broken crates they are in now. The Ikea stuff above would be great.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

LPs should be ripped to lossless and stored in a locker anyway.
    Agree with you on the first part. I don't think I'd trust the conditions/temperature variations in a "locker" or something similar.

Wish I had the time to rip thousands of lps to lossless I probably wouldn't spend that time doing it even though it's a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    good one, Martin.

How about some Panzerballet albums... Corrosive enough for wood damage
    Thank Hugues
    definitely no PB in the Shelves , al these quintuplets are way too heavy :-)
    Last edited by alucard; 03-14-2017 at 10:53 AM.

When I lived in apartments, I built temporary (not attached) shelves using 1x12s and concrete bricks. No tools required.
    Yes sir, cheap as hell and they worked perfectly.
    The older I get, the better I was.