Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Mike + The Mechanics Album

Just noticed the PBS show Front And Center will be airing a recent Mike & the Mechanics concert in a minute here. From Asbury Park, NJ.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Anyone catch their tour this year? Looks like they are throwing in a couple Genesis tunes:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Anyone catch their tour this year? Looks like they are throwing in a couple Genesis tunes:
    I'd rather hear something off Smallcreep's Day than either of these.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    I'd rather hear something off Smallcreep's Day than either of these.
    Sadly, Mike barely acknowledges the existence of that album.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Sadly, Mike barely acknowledges the existence of that album.
    Seems that Mike wants nothing to do with anything that's remotely "proggy" these days.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Seems that Mike wants nothing to do with anything that's remotely "proggy" these days.
    Prog is a 'bit busy'.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

It's a shame really, about Smallcreep's Day. I listened to that album a couple of times in the past two weeks and think it holds up well as a quality piece of progressive music, especially the main title track.

I wish I had been paying attention to dates, this was probably a great small venue/theater show.

always liked this one. lovely song, superior chorus:

ah, roachford! when funkiness was strong currency:

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    always liked this one. lovely song, superior chorus:

Agreed. Love this one.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Anyone catch their tour this year? Looks like they are throwing in a couple Genesis tunes
    in all fairness, these are the tunes one can play without having to sound overtly like GENESiS ;-)))>

when M&Mx toured in 1989 IQ (fronted by paul menel) were supporting them in the UK and europe. that combination worked well at the time (their then released album “are you sitting comfortably?” sounded a lot like the headliner in places)!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Agreed. Love this one.
    This is the song I loved the most off of that album (Beggar on a Beach of Gold). Great tune all around!

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    This is the song I loved the most off of that album (Beggar on a Beach of Gold). Great tune all around!
    I also really like the title track, too. But I'm also a sucker for Paul Young's voice, and he does a great job on that one.

I loved both Pauls in M&tM. Too bad Paul Young died so ....young. (In Mike's book, he reveals that Paul Young was quite the party-head.)