Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Mike + The Mechanics Album

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    I'm surprised people are still writing and releasing music like this, as if there's a market or a need to fill. Maybe commercials?
    Maybe it's pleasing to Rutherford to release this music. If it makes him happy, then that's fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Oh boy, here we go...

*sigh*

Whatever.

Anyway, I like Mike's songwriting. I think Smallcreep's Day is the best example of Mike's capabilities, but I even like some Mike+The Mechanics stuff too.
    Agreed and certainly his guitar playing capabilities shine more on Side projects than they do with Genesis. I love his ' feel' & 'melody' on Smallcreeps Day!

Jefferson James
    Goblinz, I dig, just saying it's surprising to me there still is or may be a market for this type of purely commercial music, and that people still write music with that demographic in mind.

Goblinz, I dig, just saying it's surprising to me there still is or may be a market for this type of purely commercial music, and that people still write music with that demographic in mind.
    I think there's still a market, he's toured the current M&tM's line-up consistently for the past few years. Plays City Hall's and theatre's in the UK that are well attended from what I understand. I also think that Mike having the money to bankroll recording projects may help?

Is he really writing with a demographic in mind, or is he just doing what he does?

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Is he really writing with a demographic in mind, or is he just doing what he does?
    By commercially releasing the album I would assume there is a demographic in mind, otherwise he could just do home demos.

I'll bow out as I'm not a M+M fan by any stretch; I just thought it was interesting that the band would release something like this in 2017. I just don't hear this kind of music anymore, anywhere.

By commercially releasing the album I would assume there is a demographic in mind, otherwise he could just do home demos.

I'll bow out as I'm not a M+M fan by any stretch; I just thought it was interesting that the band would release something like this in 2017. I just don't hear this kind of music anymore, anywhere.
    I have a strong feeling there is a lot of music being made and released that would surprise you. Ever hear of the band, The Divine Comedy? Smart and poppy with a witty use of lyrics. Not popular by any stretch here in the U.S. I don't know if they are popular in the UK where they are based, but they keep releasing music and have very successful tours.

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Ever hear of the band, The Divine Comedy?
    Yeah, my old fly fishing buddy loves them to pieces. I don't get into them quite so much.

The results pleased even the chief Mechanic himself. “The Road didn’t move anyone’s world as we made it just after we’d met. We’ve learned to play together now. For me, it’s about proving I can write a good song, but the older you get, the less you let yourself off with ’it’s not bad’, the less you pretend and the tougher you are on yourself. The hardest part of the whole process is staying relevant, but anyone who says success doesn’t matter is a liar: what you really want is people to like it. Then you feel it’s all been worth it. It’s as simple as that. Oh and my wife loves it, more than she’s loved an album of mine for a while! Trust me, that’s a really good sign.”

I have a strong feeling there is a lot of music being made and released that would surprise you. Ever hear of the band, The Divine Comedy? Smart and poppy with a witty use of lyrics. Not popular by any stretch here in the U.S. I don't know if they are popular in the UK where they are based, but they keep releasing music and have very successful tours.
    Well, it helps they made the theme for "Father Ted." As well as wrote a cult-popular song for it, "My Lovely Horse."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Well, it helps they made the theme for "Father Ted." As well as wrote a cult-popular song for it, "My Lovely Horse."
    Let us not forget side project The Duckworth Lewis Method. The best songs about cricket you will ever hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Agreed and certainly his guitar playing capabilities shine more on Side projects than they do with Genesis. I love his ' feel' & 'melody' on Smallcreeps Day!
    True of "Smallcreep" but I find it way too hard to hear any of Mike's guitar or bass on the Mechanics records. The sound always seems to be 90 percent programming, and there's always another guitarist and bassist credited to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by whatwherewhywhen View Post
    Let us not forget side project The Duckworth Lewis Method. The best songs about cricket you will ever hear.
    I haven't picked up the 2nd release; how is that one? The first one they did was fabulous!

I haven't picked up the 2nd release; how is that one? The first one they did was fabulous!
    Just as good as the first, though possibly less stylistic variety.

Orcopian
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Mike's bio was 239 pages and this is the entirety of what he wrote about the CAS era:

"Do I regret Calling All Stations? No: professionally I don't really regret anything. We did it because Tony and I had written some songs together that we liked. We had replaced a singer before, although I was very aware that the hill to climb was pretty big this time around.

Ray Wilson did a good job as a vocalist but he wasn't a writer. Without a third writer, there was no one to glue Tony and me together; we didn't have anyone to pull us back into the middle ground, the center of the Venn diagram. I'd never been aware before of how far apart Tony and I were musically until this album. It only hit me then that Phil was the one who reined us both in, took what we did best and found a setting for it. Calling All Stations was released in 1997 and sold two million copies - not bad - but when the record was released, I also sensed that the mood had changed in terms of radio play. We were becoming a catalogue act. Tony and Ray were keen to carry on but I knew we'd have to bring in another writer. To me it felt right to just stop there - no real harm done."
    It's been well reported that David Longdon of Big Big Train was the other singer on the short list but they went with Ray Wilson due to his greater experience, Longdon is obviously a very talented writer so who knows what would have happened if they had gone with him. I'm aware that Ray Wilson has released many albums of his own, often with Genesis tracks on. Whilst commercially that might make sense for him it does take away the focus from his own material. I have heard good reports about his latest release so will have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcopian View Post
    It's been well reported that David Longdon of Big Big Train was the other singer on the short list but they went with Ray Wilson due to his greater experience, Longdon is obviously a very talented writer so who knows what would have happened if they had gone with him. I'm aware that Ray Wilson has released many albums of his own, often with Genesis tracks on. Whilst commercially that might make sense for him it does take away the focus from his own material. I have heard good reports about his latest release so will have to check it out.
    Should have just used NDV on drums and Kevin Gilbert on vocals. Both can write, sing and are/were great musicians.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Orcopian
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Should have just used NDV on drums and Kevin Gilbert on vocals. Both can write, sing and are/were great musicians.
    Now that would have been amazing, but I can't imagine Kevin Gilbert being the glue/middle ground between Mike & Tony.

I really enjoyed their first few albums, but this new stuff just seems....bland. :

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I really enjoyed their first few albums, but this new stuff just seems....bland. :
    Sigh. The musical backing for "Wonder" sounds like it belongs in a corporate motivational video. "Here at Mechanic Enterprises, we believe in the employee first..."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I'm surprised people are still writing and releasing music like this, as if there's a market or a need to fill. Maybe commercials?
    Indeed... I can see no reason for performing stuff like this in 2017. Way beyond the notion of outdated.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Indeed... I can see no reason for performing stuff like this in 2017. Way beyond the notion of outdated.
    The new single is getting played frequently on BBC Radio 2 who's listeners would probably appreciate this type of music, so there is still a market!

I bought this new CD on the background of Rutherford saying it was a return to the earlier M&tM's sound. I can't agree, it's as bland as their last album!

I heard the whole thing and was surprised at how ho-hum bland it was. Mike's guitars are mixed waaaaaaaay low, and there's too much drum machine for me. I much prefer the sound he had going on on the S/T record and The Living Years. Word of Mouth and Beggar on a Beach of Gold both have a decent selection of good tracks as well, but they also include more filler. After that, it's all downhill for me.

You know, I totally ignored The Road when it came out. Refused to buy it because I figured how good could it be without Paul Carrack? I had no interest in new singers. Well, recently I was curious so I purchased both it and Let Me Fly. I've spun The Road maybe 6 times so far, and Let Me Fly twice. So far, The Road has really clicked with me. Many songs I liked instantly, and they get better each time. IMO it's a worthy addition to the Mechanics catalog. I don't know why Mike downplays it. Let Me Fly on the other hand has not clicked at all. I agree with comments above...it sounds BLAND to my ears. Hopefully further listens will reveal more levels to it. I will keep at it! I was just surprised at how much I liked The Road, after the disappointed reviews I had read about it.

Only checked it today, the new album entered the midweek uk chart at #7
    http://www.officialcharts.com/charts...-chart-update/

I love Mike + The Mechanics.