Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surprising Prog 'song writing' collaborations?

Surprising Prog 'song writing' collaborations?

Only just discovered that Rick Astley co-wrote Mission Statement with Fish.
    Does anyone know how this came about?

Jason Falkner and R Stevie Moore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith Emerson and Peter Hammill.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I believe that Fish participated some kind of "song writing camp" before Raingods With Zippos album and that was one of the songs was born there.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I don't know, but I had to look up Rock Astley as I had no idea who he was. That IS surprising.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I believe that Fish participated some kind of "song writing camp" before Raingods With Zippos album and that was one of the songs was born there.
    Oh, I do remember him writing about that!

Greg Hawkes (keyboardist of The Cars) co-writing Happy the Man’s “Service With a Smile” with Ron Riddle.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Didn't Greg Lake write a song with Bob Dylan?

I'm still blown away by Daryl Hall on Fripp's Exposure, and that's god knows how many years old.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Steven Wilson and Andy Partridge
    The Prog Corner

Jon Anderson and Lamont Dozier
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Trevor Rabin and Anthony Moore.

It's the closest we'll ever get to that merger of YesWest and Henry Cow that we've always dreamed of!

Charlie Drake and Peter Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I'm still blown away by Daryl Hall on Fripp's Exposure, and that's god knows how many years old.
    Fripp produced Hall's first solo album, Sacred Songs. When he did his second solo album, several years later, Daryl did a Guest VJ spot on MTV, where he played the Beat Club clip of Larks Tongues In Aspic I (which MTV aired regularly at the time on their Closet Classics show). He said that Larks Tongues In Aspic was the record that made him want to work with Fripp in the first place, though he said he had no recollection why.

Anyhow, as I recall, Exposure, Sacred Songs, and that Gabriel record that Fripp produced (was it the second or third one), were meant to represent some sort of trilogy of Fripp's efforts to explore "commercial" music (or something like that). But Daryl's record company initially refused to release Sacred Songs, apparently feeling it would damage his "market value" or whatever. They eventually did release the album, something like 2-3 years late.r
    Greg Hawkes (keyboardist of The Cars) co-writing Happy the Man’s “Service With a Smile” with Ron Riddle.
    If I remember correctly, Ron brought Service With A Smile with him. Apparently, he and Greg had been in another band together, before Greg joined The Cars, and that's when wrote that one together.
    Trevor Rabin and Anthony Moore.

It's the closest we'll ever get to that merger of YesWest and Henry Cow that we've always dreamed of!
    Didn't know about that one, but Moore also collaborated with David Gilmour on some of the songs on A Momentary Lapse Of Reason and The Division Bell.

Robert Fripp and The Roches

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Forgot about that one, good call!

What now?! When did that happen?!

I would call Pete Sinfield's career with King CRimson "surprising" in light of everything he's done since then (eg writing songs for Eurovision refugees, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    What now?! When did that happen?!
    On Anderson's In the City of Angels solo album.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Didn't know about that one, but Moore also collaborated with David Gilmour on some of the songs on A Momentary Lapse Of Reason and The Division Bell.
    Continuing with the PF connection, Anthony Moore also cowrote most of Broken China with Richard Wright
    Last edited by Tangram; 03-14-2017 at 07:06 AM.

JA and Kitaro on Dream.. Probably not that big of a stretch given that he already collaborated with Vangelis.

John O'Brien-Docker and Lucifer's Friend
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    John O'Brien-Docker and Lucifer's Friend
    Man, I just keep thinking about how John Lawton went from Lucifer's Friend to the Les Humphries Singers, then onto Uriah Heep. That just seems like a weird career trajectory. Bad-ass proto-metal to Eurovision to a formerly bad ass hard rock band, all in under 7 years!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Jon Anderson and Gowan

Has anyone mentioned the Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. songwriting credit on Ambrosia’s “Nice, Nice, Very Nice”? It doesn’t really count as a “collaboration,” though, since apparently the band just asked for his permission to use the poem from Cat’s Cradle as the basis for a song, with Joe Puerta padding it out with extra lyrics.

Makes me think of some of the funny songwriting credits found on the Solar Plexus albums, though (Norman Mailer, Lawrence Ferlenghetti).

Man, I just keep thinking about how John Lawton went from Lucifer's Friend to the Les Humphries Singers, then onto Uriah Heep. That just seems like a weird career trajectory. Bad-ass proto-metal to Eurovision to a formerly bad ass hard rock band, all in under 7 years!
    Lawton was in LF and LHS at the same time. I don’t think LF was anyone’s main/only gig, as they were all doing lots of sessions at the time, the band did lots of exploitation records for dodgy labels under fake band names (Pink Mice, Hell Preachers Inc., The Fantastic Pikes, etc.) and some of them (for sure keyboardist Peter Hecht) were also in James Last’s orchestra!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post

Lawton was in LF and LHS at the same time. I don’t think LF was anyone’s main/only gig, as they were all doing lots of sessions at the time, the band did lots of exploitation records for dodgy labels under fake band names (Pink Mice, Hell Preachers Inc., The Fantastic Pikes, etc.) and some of them (for sure keyboardist Peter Hecht) were also in James Last’s orchestra!
    Never knew any of that, but I guess it makes sense. I get the impression that sort of thing happened with a lot of bands. The members of Heldon, for instance, apparently did a lot of session work. I remember Steve Feigenbaum saying one time that he asked Pinhas about that, with his reply being, "Yes, we were all whores!". I remember Steve saying that he got burned buying a few records that he people like Francois Auger or Didier Batard on them, only to be confronted with entire albums of chansons.

So are the "exploitation" records worth looking into?